PDA

View Full Version : Incident Yesterday with Osprey

Speedbird1
2010-06-01, 05:22 AM
I was watching the Memorial Day ceremonies yesterday at the Intrepid and noticed the fly-over of 3 A-10s followed by an Osprey. They were all heading north over the Hudson. I was wondering if this was the same Osprey helicopter involved with the accident yesterday at Staten Island where several spectators were injured by falling tree branches? There was also an Osprey appearance over Flushing Meadows Park on Saturday which I missed as I was at JFK. Where do the Ospreys park while in our area? Today is the last chance to board an Osprey over at the USS Iwo Jima flight deck as the ship departs on Wednesday. There might be repercussions. NYC might ban chopper landings or even ban public airshows over the City as a result. Did you know that aircraft carriers are banned from NYC because they use nuclear propulsion?

puckstopper55
2010-06-01, 10:44 AM
Not too sure about the Osprey incident, but I also heard about NYC banning the carriers due to their reactors. To me, it does not make much sense considering it is a very well protected ship, but I guess they have some concerns.

Matt Molnar
2010-06-01, 12:07 PM
The Ospreys have been staying at Teterboro.

mirrodie
2010-06-01, 12:44 PM
REally? The Osprey was in the news about 10 people getting hurt, something about Staten Island.

Matt Molnar
2010-06-01, 02:28 PM
REally? The Osprey was in the news about 10 people getting hurt, something about Staten Island.
When they're not knocking over trees, I mean...

Q-MP2tKhmQo

Looks like they didn't even set up a perimeter barrier like they did at Flushing Meadows. Whoever planned this needs to get a talking-to.

mirrodie
2010-06-01, 03:19 PM
Is that a chimpanzee screaming in the background at about 0:10 for several seconds?

Gerard
2010-06-01, 06:36 PM
When they're not knocking over trees, I mean...

Q-MP2tKhmQo

Looks like they didn't even set up a perimeter barrier like they did at Flushing Meadows. Whoever planned this needs to get a talking-to.

I gotta say (again) the LI demo was very well handled security wise, setting up a perimeter and even the field they used
which was ALL grass no dirt. Dirt is a NO NO for any copter landing but a V-22? Please!! Hopefully this dies down in the
media. BTW there was a story in todays Daily News about a large branch falling from a tree hitting some picnickers. Didnt
hear anything an Osprey flying overhead. A lot of these trees are shaky to begin with from bug infestation or wear
and tear from all the winter storms!!
But this is just one more thinf for the anti-aviation crowd to run with.

Speedbird1
2010-06-02, 05:50 AM
I can't figure this out. Yesterday, we re-visited the flight deck of the USS Iwo Jima. We were allowed to go inside the Osprey MV-22 and even take photos of the cockpit yet we were told no photos allowed of the cockpit of the AV-8B Harrier. I was in no mood to argue with the Marine so I followed his instructions; otherwise it was a fun visit.

fk6065
2010-06-02, 04:25 PM
Not too sure about the Osprey incident, but I also heard about NYC banning the carriers due to their reactors. To me, it does not make much sense considering it is a very well protected ship, but I guess they have some concerns.

A few years ago, I don't remember when, NYC came down with a "rule" banning any nuclear powered vessel from entering NY harbor including the military unless in a time of war.