PDA

View Full Version : Jones Beach Airshow in Jeopardy?

Speedbird1
2010-05-26, 06:02 AM
Since NYS has cut funding for state parks, how are they keeping Jones Beach State Park open? They have closed all state parks in NYC such as Riverbank and Fulton Ferry (under Brooklyn Bridge). How will this affect the annual airshow? Hopefully, it will go on as sponsors have probably paid in advance.

Derf
2010-05-26, 07:49 AM
Ummm... IT MAKES MONEY

moose135
2010-05-26, 07:51 AM
They haven't closed ALL state parks in NYC - Fulton Ferry park isn't closed because of the budget situation. It was closed in January for renovations, but the work has been held up over legal disputes between the state and city. Until the work is completed, the park will remain closed for safety reasons. Riverbank park had its hours trimmed, and some services, like the swimming pool, closed, but it remains open. Right now, Bayswater is the only NYS park in the city that has been closed.

Jones Beach brings in revenue from parking, something that many other parks don't. Also, as you said, the air show generates revenue through sponsorships that help to cover the costs of the show. If there was any danger of the show being cancelled, it would have happened weeks ago, not three days before when some performers have already arrived.

Big Tim #70
2010-05-26, 08:20 AM
Just with parking alone, hundresds of thousands $$ will be made on Airshow Weekend.

However, they did cancel the fireworks this year. The reason is that the State Park Police have been on a hiring freeze for the last 5 years and through natural attrition, they just don't have the numbers to secure the park during the 4th of July weekend.

This is why I don't really mind that they are charging for parking a little early. If it keeps things like the show alive, it's money well spent. I just hope that Shaddy Patterson is putting the money where is meant, back into the State Parks system & not towards raises for his personal aides...

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-05-26, 09:06 AM
They make a ton of money from the airshow. They have Bethpage covering a lot of the cost. They also have other corporate sponsors like Oracle and Newsday that help cover it. Plus they have all those vendors selling T-shirts and they also have their own food vendors which I assume makes a ton of money. Then they have parking at $10 a pop and the parking lot gets maxed out that weekend. Like moose said, if it was in danger we would have found out weeks ago.

NLovis
2010-05-26, 10:01 AM
This is too big to not have happen. Too much money lost to just not do.

george
2010-05-26, 10:04 AM
Jones Beach State Park will never close... Although I'm sure they would close some more fields if they needed to.

As far as the airshow being in Jeopardy.. the airshow is going to go as planned and the park will make tons of money from it.

Steven Holzinger
2010-05-26, 10:58 AM
So long as the crowds keep coming in droves and max out all of the lots and the park charges for parking, I wouldn't worry about it. Now... if the major sponsors of the show were to go under, then I'd be worried...

Matt Molnar
2010-05-26, 12:11 PM
Ummm... IT MAKES MONEY
The fireworks show must make money, too. I don't think there's really any logic up in Albany. :-)

puckstopper55
2010-05-26, 12:34 PM
Has anyone supported the sponsors? I know I changed to a Bethpage Account when I was in the market for a new bank. Granted it was not just for the airshow sponsorship, but it was one of the reasons

NLovis
2010-05-27, 12:12 AM
Jones Beach State Park will never close... Although I'm sure they would close some more fields if they needed to.

As far as the airshow being in Jeopardy.. the airshow is going to go as planned and the park will make tons of money from it.
Have you seen field 4 as of late? It looks horrible. Underkept and the beach erosion is horrible. Its even smaller then it was last year. They need to bring in sand.... alot more sand. Or I dont see a beach left to go to in a few years.

Matt Molnar
2010-05-27, 12:49 AM
beach erosion is horrible.
It was a rough winter, lots of nor'easters. I'm guessing most LI beaches have similar problems.

Speedbird1
2010-05-27, 05:38 AM
It's sad that NYS has come to threats of closing state parks and beaches. I posted about the airshow after reading that the fireworks had been canceled so I was wondering. You guys are right about the show bringing in lots of money. Everything these days is profit rather than nostalgia. I am even surprised that the airshow is free to the public.I think tickets are required to see the Red Bull Air Races over LSP in Jersey City.