PDA

View Full Version : New Bottom Toolbar: Let Us Know What You Think

Matt Molnar
2010-05-10, 02:41 AM
If you're here, you've probably noticed the new toolbar popping up at the bottom of the site.

Features:
- Easily share posts and articles you like via Twitter, Facebook, Digg, email and other services
- View the NYCAviation Flickr pool (almost 2500 photos in there already, and we've barely even talked about it!)
- Watch the NYCAviationTV YouTube channel
- Search the entire site, forums, articles and all
- If you hate it, just click the down arrow at the far right of the toolbar

So let us know what you think here in this thread. If it crashes your browser or slows you down, please post below. And if you like it or have ideas for how it could be better, post those ideas here, also.

Thanks for your input!

More serious upgrades coming soon, which we will post about in the next couple days. :)

NIKV69
2010-05-10, 05:51 AM
Not a fan

Derf
2010-05-10, 07:39 AM
Too early to comment... It looks really nice tho :borat:

cancidas
2010-05-10, 11:40 AM
i'm with nick on this one, i actually think that it gets in the way.

AirtrafficController
2010-05-10, 11:41 AM
Very useful and a great addition.

eric8669
2010-05-10, 11:43 AM
gets in the way....

T-Bird76
2010-05-10, 02:12 PM
I don't see a difference...but I also probably didn't notice what the bottom of the screen looked like prior. So I guess its fine.

wunaladreamin
2010-05-10, 06:37 PM
No Script says "NO!" :borat: :borat: :borat:

God bless firefox.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-05-10, 07:19 PM
I think its great.

I was using someone else's computer with IE7 and XP and the bar kept crashing the browser but that is to be expected with an old obsolete browser.

I've used the bar with Opera 10.53 + Windows 7 and Firefox 3.5.9 + OS 10.6.2 and both have worked flawlessly with the bar.

I really like how it integrates tiwtter, facebook, youtube and flickr with all the Nycaviation stuff.

Zee71
2010-05-10, 08:32 PM
For some it might be useful, but not for me. I could care less about facebook, twitter, etc.

T-Bird76
2010-05-10, 08:50 PM
Ah I see it now...it was blocked at work. Don't like it at all, it comes across very cheap and intrusive.

mirrodie
2010-05-10, 09:24 PM
I dont find in intrusive as of yet.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-05-10, 10:32 PM
If you guys don't like it you can always hide it.

NLovis
2010-05-11, 03:19 AM
I dont like it. It takes longer for the forum to load now with the bar. Not to mention it is in the way.

seahawks7757
2010-05-11, 07:19 AM
I dont like it. It takes longer for the forum to load now with the bar. Not to mention it is in the way.

Exacty what I was about to type

Metal484
2010-05-11, 12:31 PM
At first I thought I downloaded some type of browser toolbar by mistake. I guess it doesn't bother me, you can always hide it. As long as NYCAviation doesn't do a Youtube type change I won't complain :)

MarkLawrence
2010-05-11, 12:55 PM
I don't mind it at all - at work where I have a large screen with a large resolution, it's at the bottom and I can hardly see it. At home where it's only my laptop screen, I have it minimized until I need it.

I will add - on Goggle Chrome, I have not seen any performance issues with the forums loading at all - it's as normal.

heeshung
2010-05-11, 07:56 PM
http://thingsifoundatthethriftstore.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/do-not-want-dog.jpg

I have Noscript though, so it's all good.

chrisparypa
2010-05-12, 08:53 AM
Tool bar is ok... not a problem for me... but I really don't like that option: "Click Here to Share" when u have arrow over the picture....

njgtr82
2010-05-12, 12:22 PM
but I really don't like that option: "Click Here to Share" when u have arrow over the picture....

+1, also the site takes forever to load on my iphone now so its not even worth trying

SengaB
2010-05-12, 05:33 PM
This will be one of the few times I will voice my opinion.
That bar just representative of ever growing internet garbage that has been plaguing the internet after the "Facebook and Javascript and revolutions"

As Kenny said...JAVA SCRIP SAYS NO!!...and on my PCs here at home that means NO! BLOCKED!
There's a reason for that NYCA.

I suggest removing the bar and whatever that other "image share thing" that shows up when I move my mouse over every image on the site. Let me brows the site freely withing having to be subjected to moving, scrolling and useless gimmicks and perceived "COOL features"

On my PCs, its BLOCKED just like the ads, and flash and even animated gifs. I didn't even know it was there until I accidentally turned off the blockers. I find it to be intrusive, annoying, distracting and useless.
One of my general rules is that I do not use sites that participate excessive use of java and other animated embedded "creative site structure" and over all just general junk. I don't want NYCA to be come one of those.

The internet Bandwagon: Get off of it.

Senga

PhilDernerJr
2010-05-12, 08:06 PM
Whether feedback is good or bad, I really appreciate feedback from people. As we move forward with various features and such, we need this feedback, as we of course want our friends to be pleased.

The bar will be removed! Thanks again for the thoughts!

Derf
2010-05-12, 08:44 PM
I really did not see it as something I would use but the work it took to make that must have been quite a few hours! I applaud you for trying to make the site better! BRAVO to your efforts and this is why this site will continue to be the best site on the internet! Thank you very much :borat:

BTW, is there going to be any more emoticons as I have way to many split personalities to limit myself to 20 feelings :mrgreen:

PhilDernerJr
2010-05-12, 09:31 PM
Thank you, Derf! You will have to stay tuned to see what is in store. :D :) :shock: :o :borat: :lol: :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:

Derf
2010-05-12, 09:43 PM
Thank you, Derf! You will have to stay tuned to see what is in store. :D :) :shock: :o :borat: :lol: :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:

Now this was Very Well Written (insert Clapping emoticon!)

Gerard
2010-05-12, 10:33 PM
[quote="Metal484"]At first I thought I downloaded some type of browser toolbar by mistake.

LOL I thought the same thing like WTF is this?

Matt Molnar
2010-05-13, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. The bar is gone now.