PDA

View Full Version : SA police would rather not have Obama come to WC.

NIKV69
2010-05-08, 02:16 PM
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world- ... urity.html (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/police-hoping-to-avoid-obama-world-cup-challenge--fbintl_ap-wcup-obama-security.html)

I got some bad news for this clown but I doubt the US will have trouble making it out of group play. Slovenia and Algeria make that a weak group and the US should advance. Many are weary about SA and their ability to handle this event logistically and security wise and this just confirms this was probably a poor choice of venues. Not to mention this was probably not the best thing to say to the media of the WC since now the whole world knows. This guy is a complete idiot and it's a wonder he is in the position he is in.

MarkLawrence
2010-05-08, 10:21 PM
Nick

I am going to disagree with you on South Africa's ability to host this event. We (South Africa) hosted an incredible Rugby World Cup in 1995 and an incredible cricket World Cup in 2003. They were resounding successes seen by the rest of the world, well, probably except the US because rugby and cricket are not important here. When I was in South Africa in 2008, the preparations for hosting the soccer World Cup were very well advanced - we saw evidence of it. The Police Commissioner was out of place in his comments - I agree with you there - but - until you have been to the country personally, like the majority of people making comments on the article quoted who have never even probably traveled out of their own state let alone a country overseas, I would reserve comments on the ability of the country to host the event and the security of the country. The comments of one man does not necessarily speak about the country as a whole.

T-Bird76
2010-05-09, 10:03 AM
I have to agree with Mark, SA is more than capable of handling such an event. Most people and I'm sure the author this article think all of Africa is this third world **** hole. SA in fact is not a third world country but a first world nation and the most advanced nation on the African continent. Their cities are modern and have a strong economic base. I'm sure the event will be fine and I don't see anything wrong with the President attending.

NIKV69
2010-05-09, 01:01 PM
Cricket and Rugby are fine sports but you can't serioulsy compare them to the WC. Your basically looking at the same amount of people and press the olympics brings. The major concerns was the the new stadiums that had to be built which are completed and security. SA does have a high crime rate but the added security should be ok. I just think this police official kind of tipped his hand in that they really don't have the resources to handle security of the highest profile VIP if he was to come. Which Obama will have to make a decision since the US should advance to the knockout round pretty easily. On one hand I would think AQ and the highest ranking terrorists would not mess with the WC but who can say if a splinter group or lone wolf wants to try something will be interesting to see if Obama goes and how it is handled but one thng is certain if Obama goes the US will probably send a huge force to make sure nobody gets out of line.

MarkLawrence
2010-05-09, 01:53 PM
The 1995 Rugby World Cup brought more press to South Africa than has been at any Olympics in history. The reason for that was we had just, in 1994, been through an election that the whole world had been looking at through a microscope and the press of the world wanted to see the whole country. It was not just a huge sporting event - it was a chance to showcase the whole country.

In reading all the follow up articles, the Police Commissioner made his comments off the record as a joke - and asked that he not be quoted because he was making all the comments laughing. Yet - some journalist decided that this was a serious article and it should be published. Talking to my Dad in South Africa this morning, it was all over the South African television (the original conference) and it was all made in fun. The security for the world cup has been greatly enhanced and it will be a safe event.

President Obama will be safe in South Africa - incredibly safe, because the Secret Service will, as they always do, have scoped everything out to the last detail. From what I have heard, the Secret Service will always be the primary protection for the President. If anything were to happen to the President - it could happen anywhere in the world if AQ or a splinter group decides to try something. He should go - not only for the US team, but to also allow him to meet such illustrious people like Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, FW de Klerk, etc. Maybe someone should tell him that the World Cup is "a big f******* deal!!! I'm sure Honest Joe already has :lol: :lol: