PDA

View Full Version : NTSB: Sully Could Have Made It Back To LGA

Gerard
2010-05-04, 06:30 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... l_mir.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/04/2010-05-04_capt_sullenberger_may_have_reached_laguardia_bu t_miracle_on_the_hudson_still_mir.html)

Derf
2010-05-04, 06:35 PM
What I would like to know is how many try's it took in the sim before they actually made it over the threshold in LGA... Think about that statement for a while!

NLovis
2010-05-04, 07:00 PM
Yea no matter what airbus says sully hit every correct mark perfectly. He knew he couldnt make it back, knew not to try and make it back, and knew where he had to put the plane down. It probably took airbus many many tries and they preobably changed the circumstances a little so they look good. Now imagine if sully tried heading back like airbis in their sims. The headline would have been "Plane Crash, 155 Dead" not including ground casulties or injuries. If he hit the ground there would have been several explosions from the plane and surrounding cars, all filled with fuel. My hats still off to sully and I hope he gets the changes he wants in the industry. It will benefit us all.

threeholerglory
2010-05-04, 07:39 PM
I bet Airbus tried it in Microsoft Flight Sim and cheated with slew mode a few times...doing a 180 to get back to the airport is exactly what you're taught NOT to do...the loss of altitude throughout the turn is incredible and a safe return is nearly always impossible...unless, of course you're Airbus's PR department.

Derf
2010-05-04, 07:55 PM
Thermals baby, THERMALS!!!!

Tom_Turner
2010-05-04, 08:15 PM
This is what is quoted in the article in terms of Airbus input.. nothing more, nothing less...

"Although an emergency return to LaGuardia's Runway 13 was technically feasible from an aircraft flight performance point of view," Airbus said, "the emergency landing on the Hudson seems the most appropriate decision."

t

Matt Molnar
2010-05-05, 03:17 PM
I'm sure Sully knew he had enough altitude to make it back. He also knew if something went wrong, he might land on Rikers Island or a populated area.