PDA

View Full Version : Where To Go For One Day Question

nssd70
2010-04-21, 10:39 PM
I'm planning on taking my 8 year old son on a plane ride for a day of planespotting,but wanted suggestions on where in the USA I should go. His main thing is to see 747's. I would like to take him to a airport where we can watch and take pictures from the terminal and/or within walking distance from the terminal.

Doug

mirrodie
2010-04-21, 10:43 PM
OK, to start, where are you leaving from? I assume you want a short trip. Can you swing an overnighter?

Airports that come to mind are Vegas, JFK, and LAX.

welcome to the site.

nssd70
2010-04-21, 11:02 PM
I live in Des Moines,Iowa,but its cheaper for me to fly out of either Omaha or Kansas City. I was thinking about taking a earlier flight and a late flight back.

Doug

NLovis
2010-04-22, 12:31 AM
There is also EWR. If you pick JFK you would want either T4 or T7. T1 has a few 747's but not too many. BA ops out of T7 so you would see 747's there definitly from now through the winter rush. T4 is all international so it varies.

threeholerglory
2010-04-22, 08:36 PM
I always see a lot of really stellar pictures from Anchorage....realistically? I'd go for JFK...if nothing else you'll get a hell of a lot of interesting internationals. LAX is probably on the same caliber (perhaps more 747 action) as JFK, they get traffic from the other side of the world (opposite JFK's traffic)....SFO may not be a horrible option either though I have no idea if there is any literature on where to spot out there.

Welcome to the site, and happy spotting!

T-Bird76
2010-04-23, 04:44 PM
Do LAX, its spotter friendly and easy to get to the spotting locations without having to rent a car. You can walk from the terminal to In N Out park to spot, and you'll see a TON of 747s. You also have your choice of more direct flights from Kansas city to LAX vs. to New York. Honestly I'd avoid New York if you're going to do this in one day, LAX is just much much easier from all sides. LA is like my second home and I know the area well, odds are you'll have a better experience at LAX then JFK/EWR, or LGA. If you have any questions send me a PM.

nssd70
2010-04-23, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the help,so far.

Doug

NLovis
2010-04-24, 06:41 PM
Yea LAX sounds good but the issue would be the time hopping. It works going there but you will be hammered on the way back.

jerslice
2010-04-25, 12:56 PM
LAX is awesome...I'd try overnighting it if you can afford it.

Zee71
2010-05-17, 09:19 PM
Being a New Yorker, and not far from either JFK or LGA, I think your best bet would be LAX. There you'll have lots a variety as well.