PDA

View Full Version : F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

Big Tim #70
2010-04-17, 11:48 AM
Here is a video from what appears to be an incident in 1995 involving an F-15A from the 110th FS at Whiteman.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=82b_1271377089

I know it's not new, but it's the first time I've come across it.

Pretty interesting (& heated) discussion about it here:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/military/read.main/85434/#menu27

threeholerglory
2010-05-01, 09:56 PM
wow....that's freakin' intense....does anyone know what happened to the crew? It's unbelievable how calm they are riding the whole thing out and not even sounding like their hearts are racing...

moose135
2010-05-01, 11:09 PM
It's unbelievable how calm they are riding the whole thing out and not even sounding like their hearts are racing...
They teach you that in Air Force pilot school. :wink:

cancidas
2010-05-02, 05:26 AM
It's unbelievable how calm they are riding the whole thing out and not even sounding like their hearts are racing...
They teach you that in Air Force pilot school. :wink:
army too... you guys aren't that special... :lol:

Big Tim #70
2010-05-02, 09:01 AM
wow....that's freakin' intense....does anyone know what happened to the crew? It's unbelievable how calm they are riding the whole thing out and not even sounding like their hearts are racing...

Check out the forum link I also posted.

Apparently, the pilot safely ejected once he got the plane down on the runway.

Moose & cancidas, I know you guys are trained for this kind of contingency but I'm still amazed the poise of the pilot here. I also laughed a little bit at the controller who tried to vector him and told him to clear the runway to which he responded, "I'm getting this plane down as soon as possible and then exiting, have Fire/Rescue ON THE RUNWAY!"

Hats off to all of our aviators!

moose135
2010-05-02, 02:35 PM
It's the "Chuck Yeager Syndrome" Tim - no matter what happens, you always want to sound cool on the radio. :wink:

threeholerglory
2010-05-02, 05:22 PM
lol...yeah, as long as you sound calm on the radio nothing else matters. I had an engine failure in a 152 when I was 18 and ended up landing in a guy's back yard. I was just as calm through the entire thing, but even after having been through that I'd like to think I'd at least be breathing a bit heavier if I had an engine fire that wouldn't go out.

Big Tim #70
2010-05-02, 07:23 PM
lol...yeah, as long as you sound calm on the radio nothing else matters. I had an engine failure in a 152 when I was 18 and ended up landing in a guy's back yard. I was just as calm through the entire thing, but even after having been through that I'd like to think I'd at least be breathing a bit heavier if I had an engine fire that wouldn't go out.

I don't know, an engine failure in a single engine aircraft I would think would try the nerves a bit... :shock:

cancidas
2010-05-02, 07:37 PM

I don't know, an engine failure in a single engine aircraft I would think would try the nerves a bit... :shock:
it may sound corny but when stuff like that happens you don't have time to panic. i've only had one actual emergency inflight in my career so far and i did what i had to do to get the helo safly on the ground and my pax out.

Perriwen
2010-05-03, 11:07 PM
Remember it was also an F-15 that got it's whole wing sliced off...and the pilot didn't even notice until after he landed the plane.

threeholerglory
2010-05-03, 11:15 PM
oooooh was this the same one where they had that mid-air and the pilot made it out of the spin and made that landing? I thought I saw a special on the history channel about it but they stopped on the runway.

Perriwen
2010-05-03, 11:38 PM
oooooh was this the same one where they had that mid-air and the pilot made it out of the spin and made that landing? I thought I saw a special on the history channel about it but they stopped on the runway.

No, that incident (the same one where the wing was sliced off) took place in Israel.

ulikeairplanes2
2010-06-05, 09:08 PM
I'm surprised the cockpit video survived going off the runway and breaking up.

USAF Pilot 07
2010-06-08, 01:42 AM
i've only had one actual emergency inflight in my career so far and i did what i had to do to get the helo safly on the ground and my pax out.

Only one? I've had 100+.............. in the sim :lol:

I've only had 2 real IFEs so far though (in my short career)... Luckily nothing major though *knock on wood*