PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Announces Carry-on Fee

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2010-04-06, 11:39 AM
Well, we thought they couldn't get any worse, but ta da! Spirit announced carry-on bag fees starting August 1, 2010 for all reservations purchased after April 5, 2010. Only your personal item that fits under the seat is free now. Stuff the backpacks!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Spirit... ... l?x=0&.v=1 (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Spirit...ounces-bw-1858262563.html?x=0&.v=1)

T-Bird76
2010-04-06, 12:03 PM
This is very consumer unfriendly to a new degree. $45 to bring a bag on a plane is simply highway robbery.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2010-04-06, 12:22 PM
I agree. This can't be good for business. If you added up the costs, I really don't think this new method that Spirit has come up with will save any money for travelers.

LGA777
2010-04-06, 12:26 PM
Wow, a new low for air travel, I don't think even Ryanair has tried this. Imagine poor budget travelers at the gate thinking their carry on will fit, it won't, and they don't have the $45 to fork over. I feel sorry for the further abuse their counter and gate agents will be taking from this.

Regards

LGA777

hiss srq
2010-04-06, 01:21 PM
Pathetic. Almost half a century mark to be liveale when you get to your destination!? Why not try offering better service at a higher all inclusive airfare. Either that or every ticket better be 9 bucks. This news should be pushed by everyone to help kill marketshare for NK. Being privately held as Spirit is they are not obligated to divulge balance sheets to the public so no one knows outside the doors of the offices in FLL.

Matt Molnar
2010-04-06, 03:20 PM
Now which major will do it first?

NIKV69
2010-04-06, 03:23 PM
I guess they are listening to the reports of the fuel spike already being propagated by the MSNBCs etc. for this summer. This is getting a little crazy, though I applaud it because it will prevent the people from bringing their big suitcases on instead of checking them. Hell it's half price!

T-Bird76
2010-04-06, 04:20 PM
Now which major will do it first?

I hope the majors will wait to see if there's any fallout before they jump on this. This charge isn't there to dissuade anyone from bringing a bag on its just a money making scheme and in this case its wrong. I think it’s a reasonable expectation that when you buy plane ticket you can bring a carryon with you at no charge. You're essentially in Spirits case being charged to handle your own bag.

The way the airlines charge for bags and overweight fees are just out of line. On WN for example if your 1 pound overweight you're charged $25 dollars...there are not to many items you can buy that are $25 a pound, and when you do its generally a pretty high quality product. Overweight bag fees should be on a sliding scale.

MarkLawrence
2010-04-06, 07:08 PM
The Kings of Nickel-and-Dime strike again - I know for sure I'll not be flying on Spirit in the future....

SengaB
2010-04-06, 08:18 PM
This is down write unethical and would be another version of price gouging if you ask me. I do hope that sooner than later law makers will address this business practice and limit the fleecing of consumers pocketbooks like this. Excessive checking bag fees is one thing...but when you start charging for carry on?

Senga

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2010-04-06, 09:31 PM
I think this may be the thing that pushes them into Chapter 7 BK. No other airlines will catch onto this. Just like when US started charging $1 for soda, no one else did it, and they stopped.

NIKV69
2010-04-07, 01:55 AM
I do hope that sooner than later law makers will address this business practice

You have heard of deregulation have you? You havee two choices, pay or fly someone else.

SengaB
2010-04-07, 03:14 AM
Heard of regulation?

Senga

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2010-04-07, 08:19 AM
What regulation? The airlines have been deregulated since 1978. The government really has no say on this matter unless they somehow push a bill through congress and the President Signs it.

This matter is up to the people to take care of it. If people did their research, they would realize that this kind of stuff basically makes the ticket prices the same as if they were flying JetBlue or Southwest and not paying for a first checked bag or carry-on and end up not flying Spirit.

T-Bird76
2010-04-07, 09:10 AM
I think this may be the thing that pushes them into Chapter 7 BK. No other airlines will catch onto this. Just like when US started charging $1 for soda, no one else did it, and they stopped.

How on Earth would this push them into Chapter 7? They would have to lose a HUGE amount of customers over this to push them into financial disaster. Plus you don't enter Chapter 7 first you normally go into Chapter 11. The reality is NK probably will not lose that many customers over this and it will drive up their revenue. NK's customer base isn't the most savvy so a collective voice to force NK to reverse this will most likely not happen.

Art at ISP
2010-04-07, 09:16 AM
They won't lose many customers because they don't have that many left. I think this is just a stunt to get publicity for the airline. I know Ben Baldanza and while he is known to think of things like this, I am not sure it will see the light of day.

We have Ben to thank for the beginnings of FFOCUS, which is the frequent flyer advocacy group of which I am chairman...you can read the history to get that story.

Back on subject, these airlines need to learn that unbundling of airfares is NOT the answer. The answer is to charge RATIONAL prices in the first place.

US is about to feel a BIG pushback from elite customers who now have to pay for "choice" seats. Million milers are now leaving in droves...what few were left.

hiss srq
2010-04-07, 10:45 AM
Art, you are spot on. There is no reason why we should be paying 49 bucks to go to Dallas from JFK or to Fort Lauderdale to Chicago. You pay for what you get. I was looking at NK's fares mid month from LGA to FLL and one way's were approaching 200 pre tax just to get an idea of what they are aiming for. I came to an intresting philosophy behind this whole charge for carry on philosphy. Passengers see an airfare that is say 300 one way and they are reluctant to purchase it and will look elsewhere because they cannot see the breakdown of what this cost actually means. I think that perhaps NK besides trying to make up for their relatively low fares has got an idea behind this. It is just another way to still get the affordable rate behind the service while making it appear to the customer as a cheaper service. So in reality they are just keeping their costs in line by doing this. I think that they need to advertise it though a little bit on the site. They need to make consumers aware in order to avoid backlash. It is smart business for the company but not so enjoyable for the customer. None the less, in an age where people think they are entitled to pay 70 bucks to get to Nassau somthing needs to be done to keep the bottom line at least as far as the non frequent fliers go.

You don't trash your loyalties but you do need to make a buck off of those who are not consistant passengers.

SengaB
2010-04-07, 11:24 AM
JetBlueAirwaysFan

What regulation? The airlines have been deregulated since 1978. The government really has no say on this matter unless they somehow push a bill through congress and the President Signs it.

That was my point...There needs to be a re introduction of regulation- IMO
I wasn't clear the first time.
Senga

NIKV69
2010-04-07, 12:40 PM
Heard of regulation?

Yea but was great until 1978 after that you can't regulate carriers anymore. They can do whatever they want. As long as they advertise everything properly.

I think this is just a stunt to get publicity for the airline. I know Ben Baldanza and while he is known to think of things like this, I am not sure it will see the light of day.

I still say this is fuel related to a point. The timing is a little wierd with major networks beginning the scare mongering by telling us the spectulators are going to raise our fuel prices at least a dollar a gallon by July and the fact crude is at it's highest now.

That was my point...There needs to be a re introduction of regulation-

You realize this has no real chance of happening right?

SengaB
2010-04-07, 08:11 PM
At the rate things are going with these airlines?.....Sheesh I wouldn't be surprised that in just a few years we saw an aggressive attempt to reign them in.

Senga

T-Bird76
2010-04-07, 08:23 PM
At the rate things are going with these airlines?.....Sheesh I wouldn't be surprised that in just a few years we saw an aggressive attempt to reign them in.

Senga

Senga you have a point, the recent actions by Congress with the Passenger Bill of Rights is a clear taste of "regulation" by the gov't. Who knows how much farther it will go.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2010-04-08, 06:50 AM

Senga

Senga you have a point, the recent actions by Congress with the Passenger Bill of Rights is a clear taste of "regulation" by the gov't. Who knows how much farther it will go.

I'm thinking we may go much further. Especially with our current President. I don't think they will go as far as they have been pre-1978, but I do think there will definitely be some sort of regulation on this nickel and diming issue and if they can push some sort of legislation through, you will see a pax bill of rights. We now have a tarmac delay rule in place by the FAA. A slight start even though JFK airlines are seeking an exception to the rule with NY Area flights.

MarkLawrence
2010-04-13, 10:23 PM
I got this today from Spirit.

To our valued customers,
We have all seen how carry-on baggage has gotten out of control. Longer security lines and boarding process, injuries due to overcrowded overhead bins, delayed flights and passenger frustration has become commonplace.
At Spirit, we are always looking for new ways to save you money and improve the customer experience. We recently announced our latest innovation, which is designed to relieve the carry-on crisis, saving you time and money.
Our solution to the carry-on crisis:
1. Lowered fares
2. Lower checked bag fees
3. Give everyone a free personal item allowance
4. Allow customers to carry on an additional bag for a fee and give them
priority boarding so they have time and space to stow their extra bag
Everyone Wins!
1. We expect total prices to be lower
2. Security lines will move faster
3. The boarding process will be smoother
4. Deplaning will be faster
5. Passenger and employee safety is improved with less over-stuffed bins
What to expect for travel after August 1st:
1. We have introduced PENNY PLUS™ fares available to our $9 Fare Club members** that are 1˘ each way plus fuel, taxes and fees*. If you are not already a member, click here to join.
2. We have lowered checked bag fees for $9 Fare Club members. A family of four checking four bags round-trip will save $80. Double the cost of being a $9 Fare Club member. Another reason to join now. Click here to join.
3. You can bring a FREE personal item onboard, such as a purse, briefcase, backpack or laptop computer. Other exceptions are: assistive devices, medicine, umbrella, outer garments (coats, hats, wraps), camera, car seat/stroller, infant diaper bag, reading material for the flight, or food for immediate consumption.
4. If you choose to bring an extra carry-on bag, you may do so for $20 if purchased online as a $9 Fare Club member or $30 online, at the airport ticket counter or kiosk for non-members. If you choose to wait until the gate to pay, the fee will be $45 which is not preferred since it will slow the boarding process.
5. Shorter, faster security and boarding lines. Less frustration while boarding and deplaning. Fewer delays.
6. Happier customers that pay less!
See you onboard soon! We’ll keep working to improve your experience and lower your fare.
Ben Baldanza
President and Chief Executive Officer
Spirit Airlines