PDA

View Full Version : Fokker Speculation

hiss srq
2010-03-09, 02:46 PM
Where would you love to see the "new" F100 used in what colors. It doesnt have to be realistic.

Me personally, I would just love to see them in airline service in the USA again period. I do not care who flys them. If they are used I am going to book tickets on them. I love the Fokker. I would LOVE to see them in AA colors again. AA needs an airplane between the MD-80 and 737-800. Is it realistic? probably not though. Alaska would be another really great place for that airplane with it's performance capacity. It can take HUGE loads for it's size and has faily good range. Plus......... It is able to operate from unimproved surfaces rigth out of the factory. There are pictures someplace of an AA F100 doing touch and goes on a grass runway in fact.

I could see this airplane being a good starter jet as well for LCC's in the states if the product support is good. One thing I question is the powerplant viability with all of the new technology out there. KLM loves this airplane, Austrian is loyal to it and I think American really liked it but the overhead when Fokker went down the tubes killed its viability. All armchair CEO dream speculation though.

Matt Molnar
2010-03-09, 04:37 PM
AA needs an airplane between the MD-80 and 737-800.
Why did they get rid of their original Fokkers? They weren't that old...most of the Fokkers built are still in service.

T-Bird76
2010-03-09, 04:43 PM
AA needs an airplane between the MD-80 and 737-800.
Why did they get rid of their original Fokkers? They weren't that old...most of the Fokkers built are still in service.

Expense. They required there own MX, Training, Parts, and Support programs. The return on investement simply did not cover the expense.

NLovis
2010-03-10, 12:50 AM
[quote="hiss srq":36jcv6dz]AA needs an airplane between the MD-80 and 737-800.

Expense. They required there own MX, Training, Parts, and Support programs. The return on investement simply did not cover the expense.[/quote:36jcv6dz]
Hopefully it will be different this time

lijk604
2010-03-10, 11:21 AM
Expense. They required there own MX, Training, Parts, and Support programs. The return on investement simply did not cover the expense.
Hopefully it will be different this time

But it wont be, because of the reasons Tommy outlined. It's a completely different manufacturer, airframe & engines. So even if it's new, you still need MX training, a seperate supply of parts, and a different support program.

This is fine for KLM and any other Fokker operator, they are already invested in the aircraft, but for a US carrier in these times to make that kind of investment it would be completely foolish.

Now, if it's a brand new airline, and they need those things anyway, they sure why not? But I don't see any new airlines on the horizon for the US in the near future.

hiss srq
2010-03-10, 02:36 PM
I'm sure some crackpot's will eventually get around to it here in the states. there is no shortage of Bill Diffendeffer's (Skybus) in the USA who have grand ideas of taking their three store front travel agencies and turning them into the next major LCC fad. I'm sure at some point we will see some parked down in Jackson, MS. with plugs and a scheme that never carried revenue.

NLovis
2010-03-10, 11:30 PM
I'm sure some crackpot's will eventually get around to it here in the states. there is no shortage of Bill Diffendeffer's (Skybus) in the USA who have grand ideas of taking their three store front travel agencies and turning them into the next major LCC fad. I'm sure at some point we will see some parked down in Jackson, MS. with plugs and a scheme that never carried revenue.
Only time will tell. think jetblue will give it a long shot?

Matt Molnar
2010-03-10, 11:54 PM
Only time will tell. think jetblue will give it a long shot?
Probably not, based on their strong ties to Brazil and Embraer.

seahawks7757
2010-03-11, 08:41 PM
Honestly I was surprised to see them enter the 100 seat market with so many planes already there and coming. There really is nothing in a market of 80 seats and thought that it might have been a better one for them. But we will have to see how it turns out. Might see QX go back to its old Fokker days.