PDA

View Full Version : Runway closure at JFK

usagiordano
2010-03-05, 02:40 PM
I live in South Valley Stream New York and have noticed that planes are exclusively using a runway which brings flight departures directly over my house. Planes take off heading North and perform a tight turn South towards the water. This change has brough constant departures over my house between 5:00am and 11:00pm. I was under the understanding that the construction would bring a greater number of arrivals over Garden City and Floral Park, yet this has not occured. In fact, not one single plane has flown over those neighborhoods since the inception of the construction. All of the traffic is diverted over South Valley Stream, Lynbrook, and East Rockaway for departues and over Far Rockaway for arrivals. Can someone help me understand this? Did the Port Authority decide to limit increased plane noise to specific areas for political reasons. Floral Park appears to have an extremely strong organization to fight noise pollution and Garden City has lots of money. I have been watching PASSUR on the internet and the arrival and departure runways have not changed once in the past week during the hours of 5:00am - 11:00 pm.

eric8669
2010-03-05, 02:55 PM
I live in South Valley Stream New York and have noticed that planes are exclusively using a runway which brings flight departures directly over my house. Planes take off heading North and perform a tight turn South towards the water. This change has brough constant departures over my house between 5:00am and 11:00pm. I was under the understanding that the construction would bring a greater number of arrivals over Garden City and Floral Park, yet this has not occured. In fact, not one single plane has flown over those neighborhoods since the inception of the construction. All of the traffic is diverted over South Valley Stream, Lynbrook, and East Rockaway for departues and over Far Rockaway for arrivals. Can someone help me understand this? Did the Port Authority decide to limit increased plane noise to specific areas for political reasons. Floral Park appears to have an extremely strong organization to fight noise pollution and Garden City has lots of money. I have been watching PASSUR on the internet and the arrival and departure runways have not changed once in the past week during the hours of 5:00am - 11:00 pm.

Its all about wind direction...... I am sure as we get further into the spring it will be the other way around. I am sure someone else can explain better then me.

PhilDernerJr
2010-03-05, 03:56 PM
Here's your guide for the runway closure... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18589 (http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18589)

bluejuice
2010-03-06, 11:30 AM
Not sure about the afternoon departures as I work in the AM
All this week they have been arriving on 4R and departing on 4L and between 8and 10 AM we use 31L. Unfortunatly this brings most of the departures over your neighborhood. Once the wind changes you will possibly see the routing that you describe (The one in Newsdays article.) During the next few months the departures and arrivals will be based on what is best for the airport and the airlines.

NLovis
2010-03-07, 02:52 AM
31L IS CLOSED. Its 31R.

bluejuice
2010-03-07, 06:15 AM
Sorry about that-I always had my shoes marked with a big "L" and "R" so I could tell them apart

NLovis
2010-03-07, 11:28 AM
Sorry about that-I always had my shoes marked with a big "L" and "R" so I could tell them apart
LOL