PDA

View Full Version : AFR A380 returned to JFK?

SengaB
2010-02-22, 05:13 AM
Just saw this on the trackers.
Does anyone know why the AFR A380 returned?
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/af002.gif

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/AFR%20A380%20turn%20around.gif

Matt Molnar
2010-02-22, 05:21 AM
AF380V is not a normal flight number. The regular JFK-CDG A380 is Flight 007, which appears to have been canceled Sunday night. I'd guess there was a mechanical problem and they were attempting to ferry her to CDG, and along the way something made them decide it wasn't safe to cross the ocean.

hiss srq
2010-02-22, 02:00 PM
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=427ab508&opt=1

Let's just get a big claw machine and take care of this pup old yeller of airplanes style. :twisted: Plastic sippy cups and beer cans for all! :lol: This has got to be getting embarresing for Airbus and VERY frustrating for Air France of all carriers.

MarkLawrence
2010-02-22, 02:04 PM
Fuel systems on the whale jet seem to be an issue - the Quantas aircraft I seem to remember had a lot of fuel pump issues when they first started operations - I seem to remember someone here saying that at the time, both QF A380's were in LAX. Seems to me there is a bit of work required from Airbus on this.....

LGA777
2010-02-22, 02:38 PM
Disreguard, threads now combined, thanks Mods!

Just spoke to a contact who is in the know. When the A-380 returned in the middle of the night (ferry flight) Terminal 1 was closed and their was no one to work it. Supposivly an Air France JFK manager was called at home and arrangement where made to park it at T-4 which was manned and the crew could clear customs. Then this morning was towed over to T-1 where it currently remote parked. No word on when it will return to service

Cheers

LGA777

NLovis
2010-02-23, 04:28 AM
Yea it was sitting at T1 all day long. Typical Airbus a/c not shocked. Do believe it flew out as I was dringing home though. If I was Quantas, Eimrates and AF I would drop those heaps and pick up some 747-8's. Much better plane.

Iberia A340-600
2010-02-23, 10:53 AM
Yea it was sitting at T1 all day long. Typical Airbus a/c not shocked. Do believe it flew out as I was dringing home though. If I was Quantas, Eimrates and AF I would drop those heaps and pick up some 747-8's. Much better plane.

Right, because the 748i has actually flown and is in commercial service? You cannot really make that judgment before the aircraft has even made its first flight. Who says the 748i will not have the same problems the A380 has? Yes the A380 has had some technical difficulties but so has every other aircraft.

NLovis
2010-02-23, 11:23 AM

Right, because the 748i has actually flown and is in commercial service? You cannot really make that judgment before the aircraft has even made its first flight. Who says the 748i will not have the same problems the A380 has? Yes the A380 has had some technical difficulties but so has every other aircraft.
Remember the 747 has been in production for 40 years. Any kinks should be gone.

wunaladreamin
2010-02-23, 12:01 PM
Rats!

cancidas
2010-02-23, 12:02 PM

the 747 has been in production, but don't forget the 747-8 is a brand new airplane. it's on the same type certificate but it's not the same systems that were installed in a -100. there will be kinks. that said, what is happenning with the A380 is just downright embarrasing.

NLovis
2010-02-23, 12:12 PM
the 747 has been in production, but don't forget the 747-8 is a brand new airplane. it's on the same type certificate but it's not the same systems that were installed in a -100. there will be kinks. that said, what is happenning with the A380 is just downright embarrasing.
Yea i know its diff from a 100 but it is simmilar to a 400. Boeing also does a better job with their a/c then Airbus. Hey links for these trackers?

wunaladreamin
2010-02-23, 05:29 PM
Boeing also does a better job with their a/c then Airbus
Proof?

Hey links for these trackers?
Rats! You didn't say the magic word!

hiss srq
2010-02-23, 06:29 PM
How do you assume that Boeing does a better job on airplanes than Airbus. Statisticly speaking they are pretty neck and neck. They have a completely diffrent way of doing things all around compared to Boeing. I don't like the fact that they are goverment subsidized generally but I do happen to really enjoy the Airbus 32S.

NLovis
2010-02-23, 11:37 PM
How do you assume that Boeing does a better job on airplanes than Airbus. Statisticly speaking they are pretty neck and neck. They have a completely diffrent way of doing things all around compared to Boeing. I don't like the fact that they are goverment subsidized generally but I do happen to really enjoy the Airbus 32S.
Look at Boeing's history and tell me that isnt enough proof. Thats why they are neck and neck. Because Airbus is gov subsidised they force the airlines over there to support Airbus and buy their a/c. That is the only reason they are so close.

Matt Molnar
2010-02-24, 04:53 AM
Look at Boeing's history and tell me that isnt enough proof. Thats why they are neck and neck. Because Airbus is gov subsidised they force the airlines over there to support Airbus and buy their a/c. That is the only reason they are so close.
Airlines wouldn't buy them if they broke down a lot or or had serious safety issues.

moose135
2010-02-24, 09:05 AM
Because Airbus is gov subsidised they force the airlines over there to support Airbus and buy their a/c. That is the only reason they are so close.
So what government forced Air Canada, Frontier, JetBlue, Northwest, United and US Airways to buy Airbus? How about all the Asian and African airlines using Airbus?

Take a look...
A310 Operators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Airbus_A310_operators)
A320 Operators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Airbus_A320_operators)
A330 Operators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Airbus_A330_operators)
A340 Operators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Airbus_A340_operators)
I don't think all of these operators were "forced" to use Airbus.

I think my credentials as a "Boeing guy" are pretty well established, but Airbus builds good airplanes that fill a need for airlines. That's the only reason airlines buy them!

hiss srq
2010-02-24, 02:27 PM
To what Moose said, he is right. Airbus is a bit more willing to make concessions and cut deals to make a sale but it does not take away from quality. The automation of the Airbus's flight computers is really second to none in commercial aviation. People here in the USA get very caught up with A Vs. B I find. It is national pride obviously which is nice but the Airbus is by no means a deathtrap.
Boeing would actually do good too diversify the 737 in the way Airbus did as far as powerplants go in fact. The V2500 is a slightly better engine in terms of what it can do performance wise. Particularly in the "hot and high" range of performance. It burns about 1% more fuel maybe a little less but it goes a long way in the summer at airports like LAS or PHX to get airplanes off the ground. It was a contributing factor to why USAirways went with the Airbus over the 737 two years ago when they made their last narrowbody/widebody fleet expansion order. All A32S from now on delivered to US will be V2500 powered.

Speedbird1
2010-02-25, 07:22 AM
I guess I've been lucky. Everytime I come out to JFK to spot the Air France A380, it has arrived. I should first check on the internet if it's being replaced with a B777 that day. I know it usually doesn't come on Wednesdays. Do you think that Emirates will resume their A380 service anytime soon?

NLovis
2010-02-25, 08:51 PM
I guess I've been lucky. Everytime I come out to JFK to spot the Air France A380, it has arrived. I should first check on the internet if it's being replaced with a B777 that day. I know it usually doesn't come on Wednesdays. Do you think that Emirates will resume their A380 service anytime soon?
I saw their A380 2 weeks ago comming off of a 4L arrival. Havent seen it since though. Idk if it was a test or something but I think they will be sticking with what they love, 777's.

Iberia A340-600
2010-02-25, 09:16 PM
I saw their A380 2 weeks ago comming off of a 4L arrival. Havent seen it since though. Idk if it was a test or something but I think they will be sticking with what they love, 777's.

The A380 was back on the 23rd as well as today, and it will continue to operate AF6/7.

NLovis
2010-02-26, 07:28 AM

The A380 was back on the 23rd as well as today, and it will continue to operate AF6/7.
Yea I usually dont see them cause i'm nowhere near the main runways.

Speedbird1
2010-02-26, 08:23 AM
I also must defend Airbus. They built Concorde under the name Aerospatiale and together with the BAC and until the terrible tragedy at CDG caused by debris on the runway, there were no mishaps. Towards the end of the run, rudders started falling-off but imagine the stress these aircrafts went through in over 25 years of service; subsonic/supersonic cycles including high altitude and extreme temperatures. I used to go out to JFK often to see them land and only rarely were they delayed or canceled.

NLovis
2010-02-26, 09:41 AM
I also must defend Airbus. They built Concorde under the name Aerospatiale and together with the BAC and until the terrible tragedy at CDG caused by debris on the runway, there were no mishaps. Towards the end of the run, rudders started falling-off but imagine the stress these aircrafts went through in over 25 years of service; subsonic/supersonic cycles including high altitude and extreme temperatures. I used to go out to JFK often to see them land and only rarely were they delayed or canceled.
I didnt know that.