PDA

View Full Version : Firestone 2/20/10

AirtrafficController
2010-02-20, 11:46 PM
Well the day began for me, Kenny, and another spotter from southern New Jersey at Firestone. Later Gordon, Joe, Dennis, and a few other spotters arrived to enjoy a nice day catching some special schemes. A NCPD cruiser rolled by giving us a wave. A few minutes later, another NCPD cruiser stopped by stating he was receiving numerous calls of our presence and stated having a large group was not a good idea and drove off a minute later. Around 3pm, an unmarked police car with flashers on rolls to the group. Two detectives; one male and female came out flashing PAPD badges which surprised all of us. They said they received a call from Washington D.C of our presence at the spotting location. They took down our ID and the VIN numbers of the cars we arrived to the location. The group patiently waited while the male detective made a few phone calls. Soon two NCPD cruisers came by just to see how the "investigation" was going. I would say they kind of "defended us" in way since they knew about us while the PAPD detectives apparently weren't too familiar. The NCPD officers were kind of upset that they were not contacted first of the alert from Washington D.C. Eventually, everything "cooled off" so to speak and we were even the all clear from the male detective. The Port Authority cruiser drove off and eventually one other NCPD cruiser. Joe continued to discuss the encounter with a friendly NCPD officer and we continued enjoying the outing till the day ended. Overall a positive encounter with law enforcement in my opinion. I'm sure some of the sites members can add more to this encounter.

N221UA
2010-02-21, 12:56 AM
Lukasz pretty much summarized the situation in good details. What I found interesting was the professional attitude that NCPD gave us. They knew our existence at Firestone and they don't seem to mind it as long as we keep our cool. They admit that we do attract quite a number of calls due to the location and the number of pedestrian traffic in the parking lot (who always looked like ready to run us over).

hiss srq
2010-02-21, 02:57 AM
Intresting. I am going to look into this a bit. Somthing is not adding up on this. Not on the spotter side of things. Thanks for the scoop Luke.

josciak
2010-02-21, 07:02 AM
I guess this means we are now know as "The Firestone Seven". Nice meeting and shooting with everyone yasterday.

wunaladreamin
2010-02-21, 09:40 AM
Intresting. I am going to look into this a bit. Somthing is not adding up on this. Not on the spotter side of things. Thanks for the scoop Luke.
I agree, something isn't right. While, I do have a ton of respect for the PAPD even after the somewhat negative encounter I had with them a couple of years ago, I understand their mission and that mission must be completed. But it seems to me that lately, lines are being clearly crossed.

Gerard
2010-02-21, 09:51 AM
Around 3pm, an unmarked police car with flashers on rolls to the group. Two detectives; one male and female came out flashing PAPD badges which surprised all of us. They said they received a call from Washington D.C of our presence at the spotting location.

A call from Washington DC?

hiss srq
2010-02-21, 12:24 PM
A Call from DC is what doesnt make sense. I am going to however ask though that no one gets overly agressive on the forum. I am going to look into this Monday morning and see if I can get a clearer picture of what actually took place because "A Call from Washington D.C." has me scratching my head a touch.

N221UA
2010-02-21, 01:57 PM
Do let us know what you find out.

At least we haven't burnt another bridge with PAPD this time (I hope).

josciak
2010-02-21, 02:11 PM
PAPD were pretty nice after everything got cleared up. Said we could stay for pictures and we were cleared.

Matt Molnar
2010-02-21, 11:43 PM
Call from DC possibilities:

a. PIREP to FAA
b. Government VIP on board a plane called FAA
c. NSA satellite surveillance
d. Baloney

NIKV69
2010-02-22, 02:51 AM
I do have a ton of respect for the PAPD even after the somewhat negative encounter I had with them a couple of years ago, I understand their mission and that mission must be completed. But it seems to me that lately, lines are being clearly crossed.

What lines? Sounds like the PAPD may have lied about the call being from DC but they conducted themselves properly in every encounter I have seen. (Not including the EWR incident) Only lines being crossed that I have heard of at JFK was cars being searched without permission or probable cause in the firestone lot little while ago. I believe that was NCPD no?

Joe C
2010-02-22, 09:37 AM
I you were there you would have seen them driving into us like they were about to solve the crime of the century. For being PAPD det. they are unaware that there is a world outside their bubble.Could not understand what people were telling them.Even when Nassau PD came over to see who they were , and told them this is normal occurrence they were still baffled. I think the best line was that Nassau PD did not check in with them about us being there. And why would they not involve Nassau PD before responding to see if they are aware of people taking photos in that area. After all it's Nassau PD jurisdiction.
As for them being friendly at the end , as fake as it's going to get.
Nassau PD on the other hand no problem at all.

NIKV69
2010-02-22, 12:45 PM
I you were there you would have seen them driving into us like they were about to solve the crime of the century. For being PAPD det. they are unaware that there is a world outside their bubble.Could not understand what people were telling them.Even when Nassau PD came over to see who they were , and told them this is normal occurrence they were still baffled. I think the best line was that Nassau PD did not check in with them about us being there. And why would they not involve Nassau PD before responding to see if they are aware of people taking photos in that area. After all it's Nassau PD jurisdiction.

Ok but still no lines were crossed. If you think law enforcement of any kind is always going to be super nice to you when running down calls your not being very pratical. Still they didn't rummage through cars or step over any lines. The PAPD at JFK has probably the touughest job of any airport police so we should be a little tolerant. If they cross over into abuse or illegal searches or seizure (like at EWR) then I think we should consider action but if their only faux pas was driving up to you a little fast or not not knowing in inner workings of av-photo well your reaching. I also don't think they are required to check in with NCPD if they are responding to a call that involves aircraft at JFK and it's perimeter. I could be wrong but I still don't see any lines crossed here.

hiss srq
2010-02-22, 01:12 PM
PAPD particularly at JFK is VERY aware of the presence of aviation photography as a general rule. Suits, wouldnt have shown up if somthing didn't truely sit well with someone up high. The highest of the high at JFK are aware of our hobby and NYCA in particular.

Joe C
2010-02-22, 02:48 PM
PAPD particularly at JFK is VERY aware of the presence of aviation photography as a general rule. Suits, wouldnt have shown up if somthing didn't truely sit well with someone up high. The highest of the high at JFK are aware of our hobby and NYCA in particular.

I guess they sent the only two people that did not know anything about us or the place.
Even after Nassau PD told them about us ,they still could not understand why were there.
But unless you were there you can say whatever you like. Everybody has an opinion after all.

Metal484
2010-02-22, 02:48 PM
Very interesting encounter especially for me since I am considering taking the PAPD test. What makes it interesting is the call from Washington DC and vin numbers?! Correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember ever hearing about vin numbers being recorded.

Gerard
2010-02-22, 07:11 PM
What makes it interesting is the call from Washington DC and vin numbers?! Correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember ever hearing about vin numbers being recorded.[/quote]

Could all be their playing head games to scare the "losers" who spot and take pictures of airplanes.
If that's the case then they truly are clueless.

flyguy1
2010-02-22, 07:52 PM

PAPD have full Police authority in both NJ, and NY-they are also trained EMT's-FYI. I was a candidate back in 2006/2007 for the academy, and made it pretty far in the process. I always thought it would have been neat to be an aviation enthusiast, on that force.

hiss srq
2010-02-23, 07:06 PM
I cannot get detailed here but I can say that PAPD particularly at JFK is VERY aware of us and supportive from a distance. They still have a job to do guys and you just never know. So to get tippity toppity is just obsurd. They didnt violate rights and last time there was an issue they were very helpful in resolving it. A cop had the ordacity to do their job. Womp womp.

megatop412
2010-04-30, 05:15 PM
Cops can make up any reason they want to stop and interrogate(but not search) you. I'm sure there was no "call from Washington"- this sounds ridiculous. I would have played dumb and been like "you mean the PRESIDENT asked you to meet me? Wow! What size enlargments does he want?"

Every single time I have been approached, I continue taking pictures and say things like "Wow! Check out the beautiful special paint on that British Airways!" while they're standing there to further solidify the impression I'm making as an enthused plane spotter. I also have made business cards that I hand to them the instant the window is rolled down. Very quickly, they go away.