PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: New Footage of JFK’s Air Force One into Dallas

PhilDernerJr
2010-02-16, 01:14 PM
:arrow: VIDEO: Newly Released Footage of JFK’s Air Force One Fateful Arrival into Dallas (http://nycaviation.com/2010/02/16/new-footage-of-jfks-air-force-one-arrival-into-dallas/)

Newly released color footage shows John F. Kennedy’s Air Force One landing and taxiing into Dallas’ Love Field just hours before being assassinated in his motorcade. The decades-old footage was actually taken by a 15-year-old, and just released by the Sixth Floor Museum.

LGA777
2010-02-16, 07:46 PM
Wow, that is some amazing and incredibly historic video, I wonder why it took so many years for it to be released? I have several comments.

Did u see the Pan Am 707? Probably the press plane as to the best of my recollection Pan Am did not serve DAL in the 60's - 70's.

I was surprised at the scheme worn by the first VC-137 arrival, looked like SAM 970. I have seen photo's of those 3 aircraft, based on the 707-120B in a mostly orange scheme in the late 50's - early 60's and later in a similar scheme to SAM 26000 and 27000 but never the one in the video which is a combination of both, with the orange trim, probably short lived. So cool he got one passing the other on the taxiway-runway.

I was even more surprised how close this 15 year old student was able to get to not only the President, but also the First Lady, Vice President, and Governor at and airport like he did. Anybody else notice the secret service agents eying the crowd as they always do and think, wouldn't want to be in that guys shoes in about 3 hours. Losing the President on your watch probably does not look really good on one's resume!

And finally many of the regulars on this site were not born in Nov 1963, while many others like myself where toddlers. On the day this video was shot my parents and I had gone for one of my 1st train rides, on a Seaboard Air Lines local passenger train just for fun. We detrained at tiny Bushnell, Florida to wait for the southbound return and walked into a cafe near the depot. We sat down and someone ran in said the "President has just been shot" and the TV was turned on to see the live coverage from Dallas. Why I am sharing all this? Well because I was 3 years old and that is the very first, or oldest memory of my life that I have, making that day even more significant for me !

Cheers

LGA777

NLovis
2010-02-17, 12:53 AM
Nice. Back then it was prob easy to shoot this stuff. Nowadays its really hard especally Air Force One. Heh didnt stop me though. I got a perfect shot. Weather didnt cooperate but what else is new.