PDA

View Full Version : U.S. may abandon civilian trial for 9/11 suspect

Midnight Mike
2010-02-12, 04:09 PM
Attorney general hints Mohammed may be tried before military commission
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35367199/ns ... -security/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35367199/ns/us_news-security/)

12-Feb-2010

Attorney General Eric Holder is leaving open the possibility of trying professed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed before a military commission instead of the civilian trial originally planned for New York City.

"At the end of the day, wherever this case is tried, in whatever forum, what we have to ensure is that it's done as transparently as possible and with adherence to all the rules," Holder told The Washington Post in an interview published in Friday's editions.

"If we do that, I'm not sure the location or even the forum is as important as what the world sees in that proceeding."

President Barack Obama said in a CBS television interview that he has not ruled out holding the trial in New York federal court but was taking into account the objections of Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the city's police.

Matt Molnar
2010-02-12, 04:22 PM
with adherence to all the rules," Holder told The Washington Post in an interview published in Friday's editions.[/quote]
What rules? The rules are quite different depending on where he is tried. This guy is a moron.

hiss srq
2010-02-12, 04:29 PM
Let's face it, if it goes in front of a mil. court he's hanging. It is a kangaroo court to apease all the wack jobs. We should have pumped lead into this guys head when we found him. Being transparent is just another way of filling the air with words so the media can't hang off of anything and find special intrest causes in this guys defense to rile America up with.

NIKV69
2010-02-13, 04:44 AM
Yes but if we did that Ryan we wouldn't be showing the world that we could take the moral high ground. (For what reason I have no idea) Oh yea it's because it's the opposite of what Bush would do.

This whole thing has yet become another debacle for Obama simply because he tries to show up the GOP and do things contrary to how they would. Well he should stop trying to be a suck up to Pelosi and start doing what is supposed to do. Or actually he can continue because it will guarantee his exit in three years.

Mayi757
2010-02-13, 06:03 AM
The Obama administration wants to "give an example" in how they are so much more human than Bush and Co. by holding these trials as if terrorists played by any remotely civilized rules. Wow the Muslim world (where these guys would've been hanged a long time ago) is so impressed!

Meanwhile, the millions in the Middle East who hated us, are now also laughing at us and they don't like America one bit more than before and neither does Al Qaeda (check out DL A330 @ Detroit).

Yeah close Guantanamo! They're gonna like us a lot more now! This is becoming the land of the idiots

cancidas
2010-02-13, 10:56 AM
Holder still maintains that a civilian trial would be the best option for the case and "best for our overall fight against al-Qaida."

um... how?

i still don't understand why obama and others are so hung up on trying a terrorist. if this is meant to show that the administration is "tough on terrorism", well it's just looks like a joke instead. i gotta agree with matt, what rules?

NIKV69
2010-02-13, 11:58 AM
The Obama administration wants to "give an example" in how they are so much more human than Bush and Co. by holding these trials as if terrorists played by any remotely civilized rules. Wow the Muslim world (where these guys would've been hanged a long time ago) is so impressed!

That is what is so funny, most (if not all) the people that hate us already know that we take the moral high ground. In fact it's most of the reason they are attacking us. They hate freedom to protest, speak out, women to walk around not covered up, having rights to counsel and fair trial of peers when we commit a crime etc. Obama just doesn't want to accept this and think we can play nice and they will stop. Man is he in for a huge surprise.

Tom_Turner
2010-02-13, 12:51 PM
Its unbelievable. What on earth is Holder/Obama trying to do?

"The World" is not going to judge the United States poorly on seeking justice or even simple retribution/revenge for 911 in the form of KSM's fate, except in so much as it judges the US as weak for not taking action.

"The World", at least some of it, abroad, has an issue with what it sees as American Imperialism. This has absolutely nothing to do with notions about a captured KSM's rights.

"The World", may judge the US positively or negatively over the use of lethal drones over Pakistan.

"The World" to the extent there was some concern, even, or maybe mostly, domestically, about KSM being water boarded, it has already occurred. Giving a civil trial now will not change the past.

KSM should've been executed by now... most of "the World" I am sure understands this.

Tom

hiss srq
2010-02-13, 02:34 PM
I've said it once to people and I will say it again over and over. Obama is trying hard to please those that do not need to be pleased. Plain and simple. He is trying to be a puppet. His actions are the equivlant of beding over and saying "shove your hand here, tell me what to do you are my masters" and it is disgusting. He talks about making America strong and a leader and yet he flip flops more than a fish on dry land. I don't get it. Hopefully by the time I move back to the USA this guy will be nothing more than a memory and a BET documentry living back in Chicago doing speaking engagements for leftist intrest groups at 500,000 a pop.