PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Crash, Tonight at 11pm Channel 4 news.....

Nassau Flyers
2010-02-11, 05:00 PM
One year after Flight #3407 crashed on final at Buffalo Airport. Andrew Siff reports on the NTSB findings and reasons for the crash. He visits Nassau Flyers at Republic airport to find out how pilots are trained and taught to have situational awareness.

It's bound to be a good spot on the NTSB findings of the Buffalo Flight 3407 crash.

When: 11pm e/t
Where: Channel 4 news
What: NSTB findings on Buffalo Flight #3407 and how GA is adapting to educate pilots on how to avoid such a disaster.

cancidas
2010-02-11, 06:12 PM
i just hope the colgan bashing is kept to a minimum.

hiss srq
2010-02-11, 06:55 PM
i just hope the colgan bashing is kept to a minimum.
You mean things like pilot mill or lower hiring standards than Dairy Barn or the part about how their training department put a fleet type on the road that didnt even have a complete AOM yet? Or how their annual garuntee is about 19.5 for a new first officer and would still barely touch 30 if they maxed out for the year? Or the part about short resting constantly at their base cities so they can keep them going but don't have to foot the bill for a hotel because it is in the base city. Bash away. Colgan is a pilot mill, and a monkey house. Not to detract from the individuals but the company is poorly ran, managed and developed. If there is somthing that needs to be addressed let it rip. I'm tired of major and regionals pushing the corruptive way pilot groups are handled under the mat in this industry.

Nassau Flyers
2010-02-11, 07:51 PM
I saw a little bit of it and I can tell you it'll be an interested new piece to watch for anyone with or without an opinion about the incident. There will also be a quick segment about how training includes the skills necessary to prevent and recover from both the mental situation that went on in the cockpit as well as the physical events that occurred.

Wish I had a DVR #upgradefail

NIKV69
2010-02-11, 09:00 PM
i just hope the colgan bashing is kept to a minimum

If just half of what I heard in the frontline documentary is true about Colgan they should be bashed. Big time

Nassau Flyers
2010-02-12, 12:26 PM
It was a good spot. You can find more about the NSTB findings here: http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2009/Buffalo ... iption.htm (http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2009/Buffalo-NY/AnimationDescription.htm)

It's unfortunate because one of the first things a pilot is taught (even before he is taught how to land) is how to control an airplane in slow flight AND how to recover from a stall. Both of those rudimentary skills are necessary to understand to execute safe landings.