PDA

View Full Version : Delta/ US Airways Slot Trade Approved, with a Catch

cancidas
2010-02-09, 06:33 PM
from yahoo:

ATLANTA (AP) -- The government says Delta Air Lines and US Airways can swap takeoff and landing slots at airports in New York and Washington, but there's a catch: They must sell some of the slots to protect competition.

A slot is an interval of time during which an airline can takeoff or land its aircraft at an airport. A pair refers to cities airlines fly between. Slots, especially at peak times of day and in busy corridors like the Northeast, are valuable to airlines.

more here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/DOT-Delta-US-Airways-can-swap-apf-438123087.html?x=0&.v=1

Matt Molnar
2010-02-11, 12:22 AM
DOT says they can do it, but only if they sell 20 slots at LGA and 14 at DCA to protect competition.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... slot-swap/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/feb/10/delta-us-airways-may-drop-planned-slot-swap/)

hiss srq
2010-02-11, 12:24 AM
Oh man, I hope Delta bags this deal. For the sake of the many jobs at risk for former co workers I hope Delta walks on this deal.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2010-02-15, 01:52 PM
So does this kill the whole thing or are DL and US still going to work something out.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2010-02-15, 02:05 PM
I really don't know. DL was to acquire 125 slots from US at LGA? So 20 of them are sold and DL is left with 105 slots. Still quite a few slots.

As for jobs, yeah it sucks but that is the way the cookie crumbles. I'm sure if DL opened an LGA hub, more jobs would be created anyway.

Selling 20 LGA slots and 14 DCA slots doesn't seem like it will hurt anyone, at least from my perspective. 105 slots still allows for a very large expansion at LGA on DL's part.

hiss srq
2010-02-15, 02:10 PM
Itg appears that it is pretty much dead. Delta wants the slots more so than the terminal. The terminal was obviously still a cornerstone to the deal which is why they are now allegedly pounding the fast forward button on the JFK terminal plan but depending on what is announced now by the parties I would forsee two things happening. A furthur beef up of JFK (hopefully with less RJ's.... yeah right!) and USAirways possibly bringing all the jobs that were once Express over to mainline side which would give the EN staff in good standing a chance to stay in family on field. I think US might have made alot of move prematurely frankly with the closure of the LGA crew base and the sale of the 190's. The 190 is a perfect bird for LGA. Not to small and not to big for what US does from LGA. My latter assessment as an outsider is based off of some things I have been told by someone in charge of staffing. What I was told is depending on what happens with this deal to look for US LGA to ramp up hiring in the fleet service department. Not to mention that right now there are a set of 5 bid lines open for mechanics at LGA right now. I find that intresting.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2010-02-15, 06:20 PM
Yes, the 190 does come in handy. In fact, US now added 1x mainline with the 190 on LGA-PHL. Its the first departure to PHL and the last arrival into LGA for the Philly schedule.

Matt Molnar
2010-02-15, 07:00 PM
[MOD NOTE: Merged the two threads about this.]

NLovis
2010-02-16, 12:37 AM
We had a 190 here at JFK the other day. Rare sight. Especally with the old colors. Wonder if it will affect JFK.

LGA777
2010-02-16, 03:00 PM
We had a 190 here at JFK the other day. Rare sight. Especally with the old colors. Wonder if it will affect JFK.

US never had any 190's in the old colors. I saw a photo of an E-170 at JFK the other day subbing for a E-175. These are operated by Republic, not US and actually none of the 170's are in the new colors, though all of the 175's are.

Cheers

LGA777

NLovis
2010-02-17, 12:15 AM

US never had any 190's in the old colors. I saw a photo of an E-170 at JFK the other day subbing for a E-175. These are operated by Republic, not US and actually none of the 170's are in the new colors, though all of the 175's are.

Cheers

LGA777
yea those were my shots :borat: