PDA

View Full Version : spotting trip to jfk

bae146
2010-02-04, 04:46 PM
Hello guys,

I am planned a trip to JFK in March. Because this is the first time of spotting in NY I would like to go to JFK for 1/2 days. What is are the best days at JFK? Like to get some South american, caribean (mexican) airliners and off course the local stuff. I have to use the public transport :( I saw some nice pics at the spots A and C, what are the best times to go there in march? Can I do this by local transport and what bus do I have to catch? Looking forward to do this trip, hope to meet some local spotters around. thanks in advance, greets Davy from Holland

Cartman
2010-02-04, 06:08 PM
Hello , I'm verry interested by this info too

chrisparypa
2010-02-04, 11:00 PM
Any day is good :) South America u will see TAM, LAN if im not wrong they have something every day, Caribbean also... I think everyday... u can expect arrivals of El Al, Al Italia, Latehansa, KLM, Aeroflot, LOT, Mexicana, Speedbirds, Shamrocks, Virgin, Emirates and some more... this is regular traffic I would say Locals: too many BlueJets, Delta, Eagle, AA (if u lucky u will see some specials like One world, Habitat for Humanity, Delta B777 etc) ... probably around 4pm u can expect A380 Air France if will be still in service in March ( u never know :))

About the spots... Spot "A" called HoBe (Howard Beach) is good for departures 31L my day almost always starts from HoBe early in the morning whenever sun is waking up :) but this is not the rule... u better have scanner and be sure what is going on if you don't have a scanner you can always call ATIS # 718 995 8188 of course u can use your cell phone.... u will get all information anytime u need to know or check.... after u shot some goodies from HoBe you can move to wherever arrivals are... most of the time it will be spot "C" called Firestone... park your car right next to the "sign" with store names this is NYCA members spot :)) if this is your lucky day u'll see some freaks :) specially on weekends... BUT... as far I know 31L will be closed in March so forget about spots: A, C, E, G.... but no worries probably 4's are gonna be in heavy use in March and if arrivals are on 4's then you should go and see in my opinion the greatest place in NY :) Bayswater spot "D" I love pictures of planes lining up on the runway 4L and my favorite combination is arrivals 4R and departures 4L.... like I said Im not the person to ask what they will use in march and in what configuration so u better have scanner :) u also can expect The Mounds – Springfield Gardens spot B arrivals 22L and spot "F" Arrival also 22L or departures are good from this spot.... in my opinion in the morning the spot will be Bayswater and after 12-1pm The Mounds but like I said u never know.... if u need I can post GPS cords to each spot u are interesting about

Links u must know:

http://flightaware.com/ u will find detailed schedule of departures and arrivals and u can track every flight ( to see how much time latehansa will be late or AF :)) if u have Iphone or something like that u can track everything on the rout, if not u must use your wife/girlfriend whos at home at the time :) thats what I do :p no u can not use my wife... sorry...

http://www.flightstats.com/ - similar site to posted above....

http://www4.passur.com/jfk.html - ATC Radar - this is another way to see what rwys are in use but like I said scanner or ATIS number are the best ways....

Make sure u have your Passport on you at all the times.... if officer will ask you what are you doing in usa cuz Im sure he will... the correct answer is: Im tourist and Aviation lover :)

u still have lots of time to prepare your trip... Have fun and great weather !! If u need GPS cords let me know, if u have any ?? feel free to ask... Im sure lots of ppl from NYCA will be more than happy to help u...

bae146
2010-02-05, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the helpfull information,

I will bring my scanner, would be helpfull indeed. Is it allowed to use a scanner? Lot of country's you may not bring your scanner.
I think I start at hobe and will see, maybe I will meet some local spotters who can show me around.

chrisparypa
2010-02-05, 01:28 PM
Yes you can use your scanner as long you not doing anything weird with it :) scanners are allowed in NY and whole US i think :)

Frequencies :

Kennedy Tower
119.1 (RYS 04R/22L & 13L/31R), 123.9 (RYS 04L/22R & 13R/31L)
Kennedy Ground121.9, 121.65
New York Approach
127.4, 109.5T, 118.4, 123.7, 126.8, 132.4 , 134.35
New York Departure
135.9 , 123.7, 124.75, 134.35
Clearance Delivery/Pre-Taxi Clearance

Forget about HoBe ! in March 2010 31's are going to be closed cuz of some repair work which will take probably couple months... Like I said I think 4's are gonna be in use in the morning and then from the other side :) 22's

SengaB
2010-02-06, 08:33 PM
If you are around NYC any scanner that is a cable of picking up Police and Fire frequencies is illegal
(if it is in your vehicle) unless you have a radio license etc etc you can transport/ listen to it. Keep that in mind if you are going to be using it. If your scanner doesn't pick up Police of Fire then you are ok. NY State its also not permitted.
Senga

NLovis
2010-02-07, 02:29 AM
I think they will also use 13L-31R. That runway will still be open as they usually use 22R, 13L and 13R. 13R-31L is the bayside runway and that will be shut down till beginning of july. My guess till bayside reopens it will be 13L, 22R and 22L. If weather calls for the 13's be sure to see a major backup for 13L as well as major traffic.

chrisparypa
2010-02-07, 06:38 PM
If you are around NYC any scanner that is a cable of picking up Police and Fire frequencies is illegal
(if it is in your vehicle) unless you have a radio license etc etc you can transport/ listen to it. Keep that in mind if you are going to be using it. If your scanner doesn't pick up Police of Fire then you are ok. NY State its also not permitted.
Senga

Mine is cheap and I can only pick up JFK and LGA tower no Police no Fire Department :)

bae146
2010-02-14, 06:45 AM
Thanks for all this info guys,

A few weeks to go, looking forward to it!!

Hopefully the weather is goiing to change :(

otherwise I have to bring my snow gear :lol:

Gerard
2010-02-14, 09:15 AM
Senga

THat is why a jacket with an inside side pocket and ipod headphones are an essential tool.
:) :)

NLovis
2010-02-14, 04:28 PM
Senga

THat is why a jacket with an inside side pocket and ipod headphones are an essential tool.
Heh that will work well. Nice :borat:

Gerard
2010-02-14, 06:25 PM
Senga

Heh that will work well. Nice :borat:

Yup and in the summertime I make sure I have a long untucked shirt!! :lol: The things we do to spot!!

pedaa
2010-02-19, 07:56 PM
hope its okay to post some additional questions as I'm planing to visit NY mid/end of September:

-> Can you guys recomend a good hotel near JFK, which also would have good access to public transport? (my travel companions are planespoting Infidels which are not very interessted in this hobby and they would like to go sightseeing while I go spotting)

-> As I would like to avoid to rent a car, are the spotting locations reachable by public transport (bus, underground etc.) or by foot? Exept for point B I couldn't find infos about this in your guide. particularly this would be great to know for Spot D (according to the nycaviation guide)

thanks in advance!

NLovis
2010-02-19, 11:22 PM
Hmm I wouldnt know. I ahve yet to actually spot from any of these locations myself as my camera doesnt have the capeable range from these spots. Though I am planning on trying LGA since there is a spot there that I have range for.