PDA

View Full Version : F-35 To Dominate Future Fighter Market

Midnight Mike
2010-01-27, 01:18 AM
During the past decade, world fighter production totaled only around 2,500 units, but over the next 10 years, annual deliveries are set to rise. Unlike the 1970s and 1980s, when large numbers of dedicated ground-attack aircraft were produced in addition to fighters, the modern market for combat aircraft is focused almost exclusively on multirole fighters that can handle both the air superiority and attack missions. The U.S. Air Force recently proposed building a new bomber, but this program is not expected to deliver an aircraft until the 2020s.

Enter the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. With the Obama administration ending production of the F-22 Raptor at 187 aircraft, the Air Force is relying on the F-35 to give it the quantity of fighters needed to rejuvenate its aging fleet of F-16s, A-10s and even F-15s.

Lockheed Martin is now developing the F-35 under a $19-billion system development and demonstration (SDD) contract with the Pentagon. Three variants are being produced: The F-35A conventional-takeoff-and-landing (CTOL) version will replace the Air Force’s F-16s and A-10s. The F-35B—a short-takeoff/vertical-landing (Stovl) version—will replace the U.S. Marine Corps’ AV-8Bs and F/A-18s. And the F-35C is a carrier-capable version for the U.S. Navy.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/ ... 178862.xml (http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/awst/2010/01/25/AW_01_25_2010_p40-178862.xml)

Speedbagel_001
2010-01-28, 05:12 PM
I think the F-35 is just a BIG waste of our own tax dollars. They are just going down the wrong path with this plane and it's going to implode when someone in Congress finally wakes up and says "What did we need these fighters for, exactly?" The navy has the right idea and is continuing to use and support the Super Hornet, a proven and reliable jet that doesn't cost a super fortune per copy, like the Raptor - another huge mistake IMO.

The idea that a 21st century fighter needs to be 100% stealth isn't all it's cracked up to be. How many conventional US built and flown fighters were shot down by enemy fire in the last 25 years? I don't know the answer but I'm speculating it's a relatively small number, compared with how many combat missions have been flown. A not so "stealth" F117 was shot down by Yugoslavia in 1999 - so again, why bother pursuing this "stealth" concept to such a degree on the JSF?

I'd rather they keep flying the F15, F16 and F18 jets and improve on those airframes over time rather than throw money at this JSF joke.

Oh, and I think both the F22 and F35's are ugly - not that it should matter to those who will fly them!

NLovis
2010-01-31, 03:31 AM
WHAT?! Ending the F-22 Raptor already? You got to be kidding me. That plane is awsome. I have a toy model of it here on my desk. Man that sucks. Its supposed to be the best there is.