PDA

View Full Version : Major Earthquake Hits Haiti

Gerard
2010-01-13, 12:04 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2 ... haiti.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/01/12/2010-01-12_hospital_collapses_panic_in_the_streets_as_powe rful_quake_rocks_haiti.html)

This is going to be a terrible disaster from what I can hear on CNN now.

Gerard
2010-01-13, 12:26 AM
CNN just talked with Ray Kelly who was there recently and says this poor country has NO first responders in place
for a disaster like this. 75% of the 8.5 million are under ther poverty level. Just a tragic story breaking here.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-13, 12:36 AM
That place is a mess on a good day, and they've been smacked around by hurricanes quite badly over the past few years. Very sad.

Here are some photos of the damage, along with some bloodied folks. Don't click if you're squeamish.

http://twitpic.com/photos/photomorel

MarkLawrence
2010-01-13, 12:38 AM
Looking at our local news in West Palm this evening - a real sad story - there is going to be such devastation. What a sad story for such a poor country.

hiss srq
2010-01-13, 01:16 AM
Talking to some people there is a large contingent of Air Ambulance flights that will be launching through the duration of the week down to the area to treat and transport. A few friends are already enroute down with a Lear 35 and a Citation 550. It is going to be really bad. Hati's infastructure is marginal at best on a good day. God bless.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-13, 02:00 AM
Tiny bit of good news...Just heard a report that PAP airport is in fair condition despite earlier news that it was heavily damaged.

mirrodie
2010-01-13, 11:04 AM
I can't stress it enough but if everyone gave $10, which amounts to 2 gallons of milk and maybe a loaf of bread to us in the US, its equivalent to live and death over there. Please consider the cause.

http://newsroom.redcross.org/

As of this morning, my uncle and his family are alive but we are still awaiting word from some of our older relatives who live near the center of the quake.

Thank you all for your interest and consideration.

hiss srq
2010-01-13, 11:53 AM
My prayers Mario. Right now I am on the phone on behalf of a few air ambulance companies trying to get valid airport information so we can get a flow of help in. A Lear and a Citation got in very early this morning as far as I know that were launched last night but it's rough goings. God bless and god speed.

hiss srq
2010-01-13, 12:11 PM
Humanitarian flights enroute. One confimable Challenger 604 will be shortly enroute from Florida with people and supplies. Aircraft will perform flyover of runway prior to landing to verify runway status. ATC unavailable. Updates on airport status to those watching and also on infastructure status as I aquire them from my sources enroute and on site.

coachrowsey
2010-01-13, 12:46 PM
My thoughts & prayers are with everyone.

I've been to Haiti & I could not start to describe how bad it was. Because of that trip I will always be thankful for the little bit I have.

hiss srq
2010-01-13, 02:30 PM
CNN reporting the airport is open for aid flights only. The city is in ruins more so than previously. The infastructure is DESTROYED. Part of Police HQ is collapsed in Port Au Prince. I have also heard some third hand accounts that the airport might be under seige as people are franticly trying to get off the island. People are trying to charge airplanes etc.... This is third hand from a contact who has equipment operating for humanitarian purposes right now.

mirrodie
2010-01-13, 04:05 PM
I have not been there since I was 4 but I came close to returning this summer when my grandmother was buried on my birthday.

We still have relatives there. One couple has a home and kids living on Long Island, but they still live most of the months in Haiti because to them, on the water, its still a paradise and not the island you see depicted on TV and news, which always highlights the country's poverty.

Coach, when did you go, what for and what parts did you see? I am always curious to others opinions as I only know if from photos most recently.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-13, 04:13 PM
BOS is waiving fees for humanitarian flights. An Icelandair jet stopped there for fuel on its way to PAP this morning.

hiss srq
2010-01-13, 04:18 PM
Lynden has a C130 enroute from IAD as well. Hop A Jet has a Challenger with Dr.'s onboard that should be arriving anytime now from FXE and there are a couple of more.

wunaladreamin
2010-01-13, 05:05 PM
You and yours are in my prayers Mario. I have friends with family there and my thoughts and prayers are with them as well. Please keep us posted.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-13, 06:42 PM
Spirit offering 5,000 miles to anyone who donates $5 or more to Yele, Unicef or American Red Cross.

http://marketing.spiritair.com/haitirelief/

Gerard
2010-01-13, 08:13 PM
Obama has dispatched 2000 US Marines to the scene. Pres Clinton was just on CNN and he says one of the major needs now besides medicine and doctors are helicopters. With roads closed due to the destruction they will be essential to getting rescuers and supplies in and injured out. He mentioned that Russia is sending some of their huge transport copters to the scene. We could see a rotorcraft response on par with Katrina.
Clinton is the UN Special Envoy to Haiti and holds the country very dear to his heart.
THis is a tragic story that will be with us for weeks and weeks.

http://www.clintonfoundation.org/

mirrodie
2010-01-13, 08:38 PM
I was watching FOxnews w/ Shephard Smith, and noted what appeared to be a Brazilian AF 737 in the background. (as an aside, I usually watch Fox, but I can't believe how much better the coverage was on CNN. Most of the day, Fox continued with its usual political criticism but no good coverage of the quake. Perhaps I expected too much.)

On a personal note, our family has been able to establish that my uncle, his son and their families are alive. My great uncle is ok and thankfully his wife suffered only a broken leg from a wall collapse. We still have more distant relatives that we are waiting to hear from.

THanks for the thoughts + prayers, both on email, text, etc.

And please consider any donations, however large or small.

Gerard
2010-01-13, 08:43 PM
On a personal note, our family has been able to establish that my uncle, his son and their families are alive. My great uncle is ok and thankfully his wife suffered only a broken leg from a wall collapse. We still have more distant relatives that we are waiting to hear from.

That is good news hope more on the way.

Gerard
2010-01-13, 08:53 PM
CNN showing live shot of USAF C-17 just landed at March AF Base in Cal getting ready to load up members and equipment of the LA County FD Urban SAR Team. Other similiar teams also getting ready to deploy.
Though the airport is not damaged I believe the Tower is not operational so it must be crazy trying to get in there.
Anyone have any idea how they are operating ATC? Military in control?

MarkLawrence
2010-01-13, 09:05 PM
Just saw a line of about 4 aircraft heading south east over Palm Beach - equal distance between them. All who have family there - Mario I know - are in our prayers - my wife has a co-worker who's parents are in PAP - we hope everyone has good news from there.

mirrodie
2010-01-13, 09:35 PM
Just learned that one of my mom's 2nd cousin's survived with a broken arm and leg. She was found this morning at 5 AM.

Upon arrival at the hospital, no room and she was moved to a triage area.

She passed away later today, it seems from internal bleeding.

What is most urgent is getting the care out ASAP as people may ahve survived the initial tragedy but may be dying needlessly afterwards.

moose135
2010-01-13, 09:41 PM
So sorry to hear that Mario, my thoughts and prayers are with your family and all those touched by this disaster.

T-Bird76
2010-01-13, 09:43 PM
Mario I'm sorry to hear. The human toll here is going to be simply mind boggling. The scary thing is without a working gov't or military in place survival instincts are going to begin to kick in and things are going to spiral into complete chaos.

The country's of the America's need to get boots on the ground as soon as possible to minimize further carnage. Has there been reports of any large aftershocks?

Matt Molnar
2010-01-13, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear that, Mario. :(

Gerard
2010-01-13, 11:18 PM
Anderson Cooper just said Americans are on the ground but nothing large scale yet and I read a disturbing story that the Marines
might not be there for almost 6 days??!!!
That cant be right. Here is the story....
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/h ... elief.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/haiti/2010/01/13/2010-01-13_2000_marines_ready_to_deploy_to_haiti_to_help_i n_earthquake_relief.html)

The fact that they couldnt even get the name of the USS Vinson correct makes me wonder if they even know anything
about the deployment or are just pulling facts out of their butt on the fly.
In fact as I write this CNN just put up a graphic that the Vinson should arrive tomorrow.

Gerard
2010-01-13, 11:39 PM
Tiny bit of good news...Just heard a report that PAP airport is in fair condition despite earlier news that it was heavily damaged.

PAP wont be able to handle all the traffic so Cap-Haitien International to the north will have to be used also but that is
a two hour drive on good roads. They will really need the big transport copters. The Marines will probably make good use
of the Osprey in this mission.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-13, 11:49 PM
Anderson Cooper just said Americans are on the ground but nothing large scale yet and I read a disturbing story that the Marines
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/h ... elief.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/haiti/2010/01/13/2010-01-13_2000_marines_ready_to_deploy_to_haiti_to_help_i n_earthquake_relief.html)

The fact that they couldnt even get the name of the USS Vinson correct makes me wonder if they even know anything
In fact as I write this CNN just put up a graphic that the Vinson should arrive tomorrow.
The Vinson will be there soon since it was already sailing in that direction from Norfolk on its way to San Diego. The hospital ship USNS Comfort may take longer as it is docked in Baltimore with few men on board. There are also several Coast Guard ships on the way. Here's a good rundown of the expected US military response: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 42398.html (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4342398.html)

Re: PAP control tower: Ann Curry is reporting via Twitter that a USAF C-130 is acting as the control tower. She is sleeping in an Air Canada luggage container tonight.

Gerard
2010-01-13, 11:56 PM

The Vinson will be there soon since it was already sailing in that direction from Norfolk on its way to San Diego. The hospital ship USNS Comfort may take longer as it is docked in Baltimore with few men on board. There are also several Coast Guard ships on the way. Here's a good rundown of the expected US military response: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 42398.html (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4342398.html)

Re: PAP control tower: Ann Curry is reporting via Twitter that a USAF C-130 is acting as the control tower. She is sleeping in an Air Canada luggage container tonight.

Thanks. The situation is so chaotic it literally changes by the minute.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-14, 12:35 AM
USA 3000 is flying about 100 relief workers from Boston to PAP tonight.

JetBlue is filling empty seats on SDQ flights with aide workers.

PhilDernerJr
2010-01-14, 06:35 AM
Belgian A330 and Lynden Air Cargo L-100 enroute right now, checking out the trackers.

There is going to be such a big outpouring of relief, but the airfield can only take so many aircraft at a time. I haven't gotten updates on how it's being managed, butthey need that airport to be a well-ouiled machien to receive, offload and kick the planes out so the next one can get in there.

This disaster is just astronomical.

Mario, very sorry for what your family is going through. Let us know what more we can do. And yeah, that text donating is EASY.

NIKV69
2010-01-14, 10:16 AM
Sorry to hear Mario I hope the rest of your family is ok.

AirtrafficController
2010-01-14, 01:32 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss Mario. Your family is in my prayers.

The FAA has issued a ground stop for flights departing from the US to Haiti. Currently there are 11 aircraft in holding patterns around the Port Au Prince airport (10 civilian, 1 military). The airport's ramp is currently filled to capacity.

hiss srq
2010-01-14, 02:05 PM
Mario, I am really sorry to hear of you and your families loss. Prayers indeed.

jetblue187
2010-01-14, 02:52 PM
I hope JetBlue sends one of their planes to Haiti(as a charter)..to show support...besides the SDQ flights.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-14, 02:53 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss Mario. Your family is in my prayers.

The FAA has issued a ground stop for flights departing from the US to Haiti. Currently there are 11 aircraft in holding patterns around the Port Au Prince airport (10 civilian, 1 military). The airport's ramp is currently filled to capacity.
Is it just me or does it seem like a bad idea to leave all those planes parked there? Why not move them somewhere else after dropping stuff off? What if there's a strong aftershock and they get damaged or the runways are damaged and they can't take off again?

hiss srq
2010-01-14, 04:35 PM
The problem is moving hem around to get them out. The ramp looks like somthing out of Aremegeddon from what I have been told by friends who made it in and out yesterday.

wunaladreamin
2010-01-14, 04:39 PM
Mario, I am so sorry for your family's loss. I know "sorry" isn't the greatest thing to say, but words fail me now. You guys are in my prayers.

Gerard
2010-01-14, 08:38 PM
The problem is moving hem around to get them out. The ramp looks like somthing out of Aremegeddon from what I have been told by friends who made it in and out yesterday.

I also heard they dont have enough fuel available for the planes on the ground.

hiss srq
2010-01-15, 09:02 PM
I had completely forgotten this oganization exists untill recently but a group called Agape Flights does missionary flying down to Haiti almost exclusively from SRQ. When I was but an aviation tot I used to fuel their Cessna Caravan frequently .
Considering I did not rebook a return to JFK or ISP from Florida as I didnt want to have pressure on me I might give them a call and see if they need a hand in the right seat on the BE90 or the Caravan. Check them out. They might be very useful for getting funds and items down rapidly. they are not restricted to Port Au Prince by their equipment types so it is easier for them to get resources in.

http://www.agapeflights.com/

MarkLawrence
2010-01-15, 09:12 PM
My son has been all over us to do something where he can participate as well - the $10 donation he did not see happen. So, when he came home from school today, there was a mailer in his school bag asking for supplies - he wanted to go this evening to get them so he can take them to school on Tuesday - so he now has them next to his school bag - so that he doesn't forget them.

Gerard
2010-01-16, 01:02 AM
Got home late tonite and hadnt heard much about the happenings of today. I turned on CNN (Fox seems unaware there was an earthquake) and saw the wonderful story of an 18 month girl pulled out of the rubble uninjured. But then I watched as a visibly distraught Anderson Cooper talk about "stupid deaths" (people dying from injuries that they would survive if they had any type of medical care) to mass graves where bodies are being dumped without first being identified. People who will be lost forever. Thats just mind numbing.
Doctors, EMTS, SAR persons, supplies are all pouring in to the area to help but it just seems like it is taking forever to get into the areas where they need to go. And while they try to solve this logistical nightmare more and more people are dying!!!!!!
This is seriously getting worse before it gets better.
:( :( :(