PDA

View Full Version : Military Helicopter(s) in daily formation flight out of FRG?

Speedbagel_001
2010-01-06, 03:40 PM
OK, I don't have photos, but it was certainly a strange sighting. For the last 3 straight days (at various times in the afternoon), I've seen what looks like a Blackhawk chopper (or similar) flying north from the direction of Republic - usually with one or two other "regular" looking (Jetranger?) helos in loose formation. They were about 1,000 to 2,000 feet up, I suppose, and flying at a leisurely pace. It was hard to ID them because they flew directly overhead - my office is on Rt. 110 in Melville.

Anybody know what these flights are about?

hiss srq
2010-01-06, 08:44 PM
After some digging I found outthat the blackhawk is being used to film a movie with Angelina Jolie in it. The other civillian choppers are for filming purposes. They are filming in Bethpage near the abandoned grumman stuff.

Gerard
2010-01-06, 11:22 PM
I believe it is "Salt" and has been filming all over the area. Interesting that the military let the movie production
use a Hawk or did they get one off the shelf from Sikorsky?

hiss srq
2010-01-06, 11:37 PM
I doubt they got a bird off the shelf so to speak but than again, anything is possible. I just cant see Sikorsky tossing a short term lease out like that on one or any customer for that matter. Just my opinion but than again my company only has one helicopter and it was built when Magnum PI was still big.

Gerard
2010-01-06, 11:58 PM
I doubt they got a bird off the shelf so to speak but than again, anything is possible. I just cant see Sikorsky tossing a short term lease out like that on one or any customer for that matter. Just my opinion but than again my company only has one helicopter and it was built when Magnum PI was still big.

Could have been the military lending them the use of ship/crew. "24" has been using lots of military copters/jets over the years as
have a lot of productions.

Gerard
2010-01-09, 09:49 AM

Could have been the military lending them the use of ship/crew. "24" has been using lots of military copters/jets over the years as
have a lot of productions.

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=516

moose135
2010-01-09, 10:27 AM
From the article Gerard posted:

“Transformers’ is science fiction. The Army has never fought giant robots, but if we did, this is probably how we’d do it.”
Great, so now when giant robots attack Earth, all they have to do is rent "Transformers" to learn how the Army is going to fight them. So much for OPSEC...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: