PDA

View Full Version : Massive TSA Security Breach As Agency Gives Away Its Secrets

Matt Molnar
2009-12-08, 05:12 PM
ABC News:

Massive TSA Security Breach As Agency Gives Away Its Secrets (http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/massive-tsa-security-breach-agency-secrets/story?id=9280503)
Online Posting Reveals a "How To" for Terrorists to Get Through Airport Security

In a massive security breach, the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) inadvertently posted online its airport screening procedures manual, including some of the most closely guarded secrets regarding special rules for diplomats and CIA and law enforcement officers.

The most sensitive parts of the 93-page Standard Operation Procedures were apparently redacted in a way that computer savvy individuals easily overcame.

The document shows sample CIA, Congressional and law enforcement credentials which experts say would make it easy for terrorists to duplicate.
Click here (http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Blotter/ht_tsa_screening_2_091208.pdf) to download the now public TSA Bible. [PDF]

hiss srq
2009-12-08, 05:26 PM
This is truely bothersome

T-Bird76
2009-12-08, 06:10 PM
This is like the opposing football team getting ahold of your play book, however the opposing football team doesn't want to kill all your players.

NIKV69
2009-12-08, 06:12 PM
I love our media, just gets better and better. Sad.

hiss srq
2009-12-08, 06:22 PM
All for the ratings and stuff. It is just amazing. I hope heads roll for that boo boo.

T-Bird76
2009-12-08, 06:25 PM
I love our media, just gets better and better. Sad.

Nick are you suggesting the media shouldn't have reported this? If they discovered this took place by all means it should be reported. People have the right to know when our Gov't makes gross errors that put us in safety.

hiss srq
2009-12-08, 06:27 PM
What about just making it a little easier for people to see details they are not privy too Tom. Yeah, it's out there now but the fact of the matter is why make it any easier. Hide it as much as possible. Afterall it is called National Security for a reason.

T-Bird76
2009-12-08, 06:39 PM
What about just making it a little easier for people to see details they are not privy too Tom. Yeah, it's out there now but the fact of the matter is why make it any easier. Hide it as much as possible. Afterall it is called National Security for a reason.

Article 1 of the Constitution allows for it. Our gov't failed at protecting sensitive info and by informing the public of such a failure will allow the public to demand corrective action. Keeping things secret from the public will not force change. If you don't think the media should have reported it you then clearly don't understand the fundemental values of the Constitution.

hiss srq
2009-12-08, 07:00 PM
I most certainly do understand them but the fact of the matter is that if your 777 to Brazil becomes Disney's newest attraction because someone got ahold of information relevant to DHS procedures I think you would suddenly think otherwise while the altimiter is winding down. National Security is not somthing that was thought about when our constitution was written. We are winging it at as nation since 9/11 by and by and if you think because someone made a mistake now the world should know that is slightly obsurd. I say do as much damage control as possible, add new procedurealy twists to it and make it go away.

T-Bird76
2009-12-08, 07:41 PM
I most certainly do understand them but the fact of the matter is that if your 777 to Brazil becomes Disney's newest attraction because someone got ahold of information relevant to DHS procedures I think you would suddenly think otherwise while the altimiter is winding down. National Security is not somthing that was thought about when our constitution was written. We are winging it at as nation since 9/11 by and by and if you think because someone made a mistake now the world should know that is slightly obsurd. I say do as much damage control as possible, add new procedurealy twists to it and make it go away.

No Ryan I wouldn't think differently I know the risks of flying and have accepted them. We also haven't been winging it since 9/11. Your youthful mind must have forgotten that 50 year threat we had since 1945 called the Soviet Union where National Security was a household phrase. The media even then exposed Gov't failures concerning things that fell into the hands of the Soviets. The Bill of Rights is very clear in this case and the media has the right to publish this story and nothing you state to show the opposite will be correct. The day we decide to rewrite the Bill of Rights is the day I'll truly be scared. The DHS failed in this case, that is who to blame, not the media, the media did their job.

hiss srq
2009-12-08, 08:13 PM
See thats where your getting it wrong. The media has the right to publisize a failure but than to link and publish the materials that were accidentaly exposed is just stupid. Plain stupid. And we defineately were winging it after 9/11 took place on security because we were never struck before on home turf in a non military form. The threat was from civillians. And I am well aware of the cold war. I was but a youngster when it ended but I am also versed on history. So sure, the media can expose goverment failures but the bottom line is that they grabbed material and showed detailed information on the skeleton of our defense programs. That is not acceptable. But the name of the game with you is "Tommy wins" so I digress.

T-Bird76
2009-12-08, 08:23 PM
See thats where your getting it wrong. The media has the right to publisize a failure but than to link and publish the materials that were accidentaly exposed is just stupid. Plain stupid. And we defineately were winging it after 9/11 took place on security because we were never struck before on home turf in a non military form. The threat was from civillians. And I am well aware of the cold war. I was but a youngster when it ended but I am also versed on history. So sure, the media can expose goverment failures but the bottom line is that they grabbed material and showed detailed information on the skeleton of our defense programs. That is not acceptable. But the name of the game with you is "Tommy wins" so I digress.

The material the media provided is the story Ryan and the people have the right to see it. Perhaps if you put the blame where it belongs you'd make more sense.

Tom_Turner
2009-12-08, 09:43 PM
Its a disturbing mistake, but I am going to guess not too critical. Its not difficult to suppose patient terrorists can infiltrate TSA and find out procedures and policies that must be known to at least hundreds of individuals, though not the public at large. This error has made the terrorists "job" easier, so hopefully countermeasures are possible.

Tommy is right on the merits though....the Govt leaked it in the first place.

What really bothered me was in the early days and months of the war in Afghanistan and thereafter, there were a number of occasions where mainstream media (always with the help of a govt source) explained strategies of the CIA in tracking down Al Quida (zeroing in on cell phones etc.) It would be nice to think, under the circumstances, some of that was disinformation, but it probably wasn't.
And then you'd hear about hand wringing sessions in the editors' offices over whether or not to publish such information and that it was a "close call" ...blah blah blah...

And there's other stuff as well that I think becomes borderline... sometimes resembling a "how to" map to do things like poison reservoirs, how much security is present etc... Its all very fragile... I imagine it is inevitable that if we suffer a true WMD attack, kiss most of the Bill of Rights and such goodbye because the first law of nature is survival.

Tom

emshighway
2009-12-08, 10:36 PM
Thank you GSA for posting the SOP on the Federal Business Opportunity Website :evil:. This was in fact an old Screening Management SOP. There has been six revisions since this one but of course there is standard information that doesn't change. This is not the only SOP the TSA has but obviously this is very damning and I hope some heads roll in HQ.

Someone didn't know the first rule of doing redaction in acrobat. You are suppose to put in the black boxes, print it, then scan it. Even though, I don't believe the SOP should have been up there in the first place. I believe it was for the Screening Partnership Program which has some airports using private security performing screening (SFO for example). Security Companies need to rebid the contracts and probably one was up and this was a supporting document someone didn't realize was not suppose to be released.

Not much else I am allowed to say... :(

FaisalNahian
2009-12-09, 04:40 PM
Congrats!!! Just saw NYCAviation's TSA tweet on CNN @Rick Sanchez NewsRoom! bXl8-auGyCM

Matt Molnar
2009-12-09, 04:59 PM
This is like the opposing football team getting ahold of your play book, however the opposing football team doesn't want to kill all your players.
Many thanks, Tommy...I borrowed your quote for our Twitterfied appearance on CNN this afternoon. :-)

bXl8-auGyCM

emshighway
2009-12-09, 05:19 PM
Congrats!!! Just saw NYCAviation's TSA tweet on CNN @Rick Sanchez NewsRoom! bXl8-auGyCM

Glad they took T-Birds post and not mine. :shock:

emshighway
2009-12-09, 05:32 PM
Latest TSA Statement:
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) recognizes an outdated, unclassified version of a Standard Operating Procedures document was improperly posted by the agency to the Federal Business Opportunities Web site wherein redacted information was not properly protected.?? Once we were made aware, it was immediately taken down from the Web site and a full review by TSA’s Office of Inspection was initiated.

This version of the document was not the everyday screening manual used by Transportation Security Officers at airport checkpoints. As TSA is constantly adapting to address evolving threats, there have been six newer versions of the procedures since the version posted was approved.

Thorough post-incident analysis has determined that our systems are secure and that screening protocols have not been compromised. TSA is confident that screening procedures in place remain strong and the many layers of security keep the traveling public safe.

TSA takes full responsibility for this improper posting and all individuals who may have been involved have been placed on administrative leave, pending the outcome of the review.

T-Bird76
2009-12-09, 06:29 PM

Why do I have a feeling you just put me on some "watch list." I'm going through LGA next week..I feel a strip search might be coming, LOLOL ;)

That was pretty awesome!

wunaladreamin
2009-12-09, 06:45 PM
Why do I have a feeling you just put me on some "watch list." I'm going through LGA next week..I feel a strip search might be coming, LOLOL ;)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it iffin the dude's got cold hands. :lol:

PhilDernerJr
2009-12-09, 06:46 PM
Nah, don't worry Tommy.

I was sitting int he office today and got an email from CNN saying they wanted a comment form us about it. Tommy had the best line and Matt posted it up. Good times!

Tommy's quite the wordsmith.

emshighway
2009-12-09, 08:39 PM

That was pretty awesome!

They changed the SOP, we can't just put any ol' name on the list anymore. Here I post that part below....

NOT :P

mirrodie
2009-12-09, 09:25 PM

What is truly, truly disturbing about the situation is this:

Besides tight ends, what the heck does Tommy know about football???!!!! What orifice did you whip that comment out of?!

Hutt hutt, Hike!!

Matt Molnar
2009-12-09, 09:35 PM
Besides tight ends, what the heck does Tommy know about football???!!!! What orifice did you whip that comment out of?!
Good point. Maybe he stole it from America's favorite football fan, Rush Limbaugh? :twisted:

Planesntrains
2009-12-11, 02:41 AM
Good point. Maybe he stole it from America's favorite football fan, Rush Limbaugh? :twisted:

Maybe we all get lucky in America, and Rush Limbaugh gets sacked in the 4th Quarter like Jimmy Hoffa. :twisted:

As for the leak. The TSA screwed up, media did their job. As an American I'd rather know when my government has marked another epic fail to the board. Besides...I'm sure that like any of our other government security agencies in the alphabet soup, there are just as many even more sensitive procedures that aren't on paper, and that we'll never know about.

And chances are if someone did uncover any of those more covert proceedures..they'd be made to disappear anyway. :wink:

emshighway
2009-12-11, 02:03 PM
And chances are if someone did uncover any of those more covert proceedures..they'd be made to disappear anyway. :wink:

Well at least five will be disappearing... :shock:

emshighway
2009-12-12, 07:42 PM
The SOP contains no technical information that can not be obtained by other sources in greater detail. Example: The procedure for calibrating the walk through metal detector can be found in a Department of Justice hosted document. The DOJ hosted document also includes technical drawings on the workings of the metal detector and technical drawings for creating test objects.

The ID facsimiles the Senators and Congressmen are worried about are very poor copies that would be useless to anyone attempting to forge the documents. The release of the pictures of the IDs in so more dangerous than the big book of IDs published by every tobacco and alcohol regulating department.