PDA

View Full Version : Obama Salutes Fallen Heroes

Gerard
2009-10-30, 04:14 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... eroes.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/10/30/2009-10-30_sorrow_etched_on_his_face_president_obama_honor s_fallen_afghanistan_heroes.html)

One of the fallen was from Patchogue and one of the Chinook pilots was from Westchester County.
They are calling the crash an accident after the Chinook experienced brown out and hit a tower while departing an
LZ in the early morning hours.

cancidas
2009-10-30, 07:05 PM
wow, he really is all about image....

i do like this shot though:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/10/30/gal_obama_denver_11.jpg

where was he coming from? i find it curious he didn't use a VH-3....

Matt Molnar
2009-10-30, 07:50 PM
where was he coming from? i find it curious he didn't use a VH-3....
From what I heard, he flew directly from the White House.

emshighway
2009-10-30, 08:24 PM
He left the White House just before midnight and got back five hours later after meeting with the family.

I applaud him for this. Something the Bush's banned.

cancidas
2009-10-30, 08:38 PM
Something the Bush's banned.
ban what? the cameras? i still think they shouldn't be there. the pres + cameras just seems like a publicity stunt to me.

Midnight Mike
2009-10-30, 09:16 PM
He left the White House just before midnight and got back five hours later after meeting with the family.

I applaud him for this. Something the Bush's banned.

President Bush banned the filming of the coffins of fallen service members so that it could not be used for publicity stunts, kindof like President Obama just did :wink:

SevenSix
2009-10-31, 12:03 PM
Its called showing respect. Far from a publicity stunt

emshighway
2009-10-31, 02:35 PM
It was stressed as not for the press. There were a few media people but I believe it was out of respect.

The first President Bush banned the media after CNN did a split screen of him bantering with reporters and a group of flag draped coffins.

People should see the return of our fallen troops.

Midnight Mike
2009-10-31, 03:11 PM

Going there is a sign of respect, having it filmed, is a publicity stunt.....

Gerard
2009-10-31, 03:44 PM

I refuse to believe this was a "publicity stunt". And if you read the whole article in the link it backs that up.
Its amazing that no matter what he does it is criticized and scrutinized to the Nth degree. He has inherited
this war from the last administration and now he has to make the difficult decision whether to send more men and
women into action and possible death.

SevenSix
2009-10-31, 04:11 PM

I refuse to believe this was a "publicity stunt". And if you read the whole article in the link it backs that up.
Its amazing that no matter what he does it is criticized and scrutinized to the Nth degree. He has inherited
this war from the last administration and now he has to make the difficult decision whether to send more men and

agreed

cancidas
2009-10-31, 04:55 PM
agreed!

Midnight Mike
2009-11-01, 12:18 PM

That's cool, it was never my intention to change your opinion....

What was omitted from the article is that the media rode with President Obama aboard the helicopter for the publicity stunt and as further proof that this was a cordinated publicity stunt:

The President saluted in the morning silence as the soldiers - in camouflage and black berets - loaded Griffin's remains into a waiting white van.

His family was the only one to agree to allow media coverage of the arrival.

I guess President Obama will only go there if he can get the families to agree so that he can bring the media along with him...

Midnight Mike
2009-11-01, 12:22 PM
It was stressed as not for the press. There were a few media people but I believe it was out of respect.

The first President Bush banned the media after CNN did a split screen of him bantering with reporters and a group of flag draped coffins.

People should see the return of our fallen troops.

Oh yeah, for the record, even though President Bush strictly enforced the no recording of military coffiins, the actual rule was:

A 1991 edict had banned coverage of the arriving military caskets until Obama relaxed the restriction earlier this year.

So this was a ban that spanned 3 Presidents :wink:

Gerard
2009-11-01, 03:17 PM
>What was omitted from the article is that the media rode with President Obama aboard the helicopter for the publicity stunt and as further proof that this was a cordinated publicity stunt:<

And you read this where? If they took the VH-60 probably not a lot of room for media and I believe the media doesnt travel
on Marine 1 but in a seperate ship.

>I guess President Obama will only go there if he can get the families to agree so that he can bring the media along with him...[/quote][/quote]<

If you read the article Obama never talked with the media. And when he made this decision to go to Dover he had no idea if ANY
of the families would allow coverage. His consoling of the families in private was very welcome by them especially the family of
Keith Bishop of Long Island who publicly stated to Newsday how thankfull they were for Obamas visit.

http://www.newsday.com/columnists/joye- ... -1.1558527 (http://www.newsday.com/columnists/joye-brown/obama-is-there-for-military-in-way-bush-never-was-1.1558527)