PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks

cancidas
2009-09-15, 07:38 PM
anyone here own/ use netbooks? i'm looking for one for my father. he's going to be using it mainly for his medical practice. he does a lot of housecalls, and is an attending at two hospitals. are netbooks going to support several outlook accounts as well as word and excel? i know they're meant for on-the-go computing and internet access. a lot of what he does is online at provider's and lab websites so i'm not worried about storing a whole lot of info on the comp itself. i just don't want vista...

anyone have any suggestions/ opinions?

flyboy 28
2009-09-15, 07:49 PM
We got one for my mom for her birthday. It's an HP, not sure of the model name. It is indeed rather slow for word processing and everything other than surfing the web basically. But it's handy and compact and works like a champ when you need it to.

T-Bird76
2009-09-15, 09:34 PM
Matt funny you're posting this. I'm looking at one as i don't need a full laptop since I just got a new PC and I just want something really to surf, email, and basic PC abilities. I'm looking at one from Gateway for 379 at Best Buy and Acer...which makes Gateway. The Gateway has some nice specs for a netbook. AMD Athalon cpu, 2 gigs of ram, 250 gig hard drive, 11.7 Hi res screen, and 6 hours of battery life. For 379 you can't go wrong with it. The Acer I'm looking at is the same but with an Atom process from New Egg.com, but I think I'll prob go with the Gateway.

cancidas
2009-09-15, 10:15 PM
Matt funny you're posting this. I'm looking at one as i don't need a full laptop since I just got a new PC and I just want something really to surf, email, and basic PC abilities. I'm looking at one from Gateway for 379 at Best Buy and Acer...which makes Gateway. The Gateway has some nice specs for a netbook. AMD Athalon cpu, 2 gigs of ram, 250 gig hard drive, 11.7 Hi res screen, and 6 hours of battery life. For 379 you can't go wrong with it. The Acer I'm looking at is the same but with an Atom process from New Egg.com, but I think I'll prob go with the Gateway.
same one i was looking at the other day when i was there, but i don't want vista.

i dare say this... but after being a lifelong pc user and ttoally anti-mac i'm considering going over to a mac next time i replace my own computer. i used one last time i was out in cali, when i was working on the road. i loved the fact that they turn on and are ready to go, instantly.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-09-16, 09:10 PM
As for a netbook I recommend Dell Mini 9's or 10's they have an Intel Atom Processor which is the best power efficient mobile processor out there. I would not recommend it for a Word Processing computer because they have a small screen and somewhat cramped keyboard.

If you want to get your father a nice mobile "laptop" I suggest getting him a Dell Adamo, or a ultra-light Portégé Toshiba laptop.

As far as Vista it is fine now, the things you hear on the media is just superstition because of two things, A) People are trying to put vista on their computer from 2001 with 128mb RAM and a 800MHz processor, and B) I do admit it had a bumpy start but most of the problems are fixed. I also admit its not the best OS out there but most computer OEM's are offering a free upgrade to Windows 7( which is fantastic) so before you buy anything, ask them about that!

And as far as Macs go, I think they are good all in one computers. The OS is great and has a lot of features and user friendly but the new Snow Leopard has bugs and glitch's that Apple needs to take care of and a lot of people are holding back on that, also they still crash and have issues just like any Windows/Linux operating system. The things I hate about them is that they look good on the outside but in the inside they do not use what they call "premium parts". I also hate the lack of upgradability and that you only get a Core 2 Duo for the price when with a PC you can get a Core i7. Also their computers and components are overpriced.

If you have any more questions you can ask here or PM me. :)

cancidas
2009-09-16, 09:23 PM
well it's settled... my father decided he's not comfortable with the netbook (it's too small) so he's getting my tablet and buying me a brand new lenovo.... (with XP) thanks for the help folks.