PDA

View Full Version : Sad News About USS John F. Kennedy

Speedbird1
2009-08-26, 09:44 AM
I toured the Intrepid yesterday and was told that the aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy is being scrapped after all. This is the carrier that visited NYC many times during Fleet Week. The guide informed me that she is already being scrapped. This is a shame. The carrier would have made a great museum like the Intrepid. This comes the same week as news of the passing of Sen. Kennedy.

flyboy 28
2009-08-26, 10:12 AM
The Kennedy has been sitting in mothballs at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard for a year or more, and she's been decommissioned since 2007.

george
2009-08-26, 10:17 AM
I agree! I loved touring the Kennedy when she came to NY during fleet week. It is a shame she would have made a great museum

Jetinder
2009-09-18, 05:51 AM
Wish we had carriers as big yours as your carriers look VERY impressive and Top Gun really made me want to join the US Navy and be a real life Maverick from Top Gun, but I couldn't as to be a US Navy pilot you have to be a US Citizen, I'm a British citizen so i could not join the US Navy.

Here in the UK we have we have smaller HMS Invicible class carriers which are ok, but our hey day was in the 1960s and 1970s when we had the original HMS Ark Royal and HMS Hermes which where as big as US carriers and also had F4 phantoms.

There is talk of us making 2 new carriers (almost as big as your carriers) to replace HMS Invicible but due to the recession that may not happen.