PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Serious 787 Problem: Fuselage Production Halted

Matt Molnar
2009-08-14, 11:47 AM
WSJ:

Boeing Halted Work at Dreamliner Plant (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125021879263331325.html)
Boeing Co. has encountered new flaws in the production of its 787 Dreamliner aircraft that have led it to order work to be halted at a plant in Italy that was making parts of the fuselage, the company confirmed Thursday night.

It is unclear how the work stoppage, ordered almost two months ago, will impact the delivery of the 787, which is already two years behind schedule.

The production flaw found in the Italian factory is the latest issue to beset the 787. On the same day that the company ordered work to be stopped at the fuselage plant, Boeing announced in a conference call that it had found a separate structural flaw where the wings meet the body of the plane. That flaw set back the Dreamliner's first test flight. Boeing still hasn't rescheduled the plane's maiden flight or updated its delivery schedule. [Full Article (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125021879263331325.html)]

Midnight Mike
2009-08-14, 01:52 PM
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flightblogger/

Breaking: Structural flaw halts production of Alenia 787 sections

lijk604
2009-08-14, 02:59 PM
This is just a travesty. They might as well start over from scratch at this point. So much for a "global project" improving things. Something tells me this "revolutionary" airliner will not see the skies before 2011.

sporky
2009-08-14, 03:00 PM
Something tells me this "revolutionary" airliner will not see the skies before 2011
I am seriously wonder if it ever will at this point.

-Tad

P.S. Only a couple more months until the 747-800! :borat:

Matt Molnar
2009-08-14, 03:02 PM
At this point I would be very uncomfortable flying a 787 until at least a few safe years in service had passed.

T-Bird76
2009-08-14, 03:25 PM
At this point I would be very uncomfortable flying a 787 until at least a few safe years in service had passed.

Totally disagree, while these delays are costly the improvements and corrections Boeing is making will ensure this airliner is safe and reliable.

Matt Molnar
2009-08-14, 03:55 PM
Sorry, there are just too many unanswered questions about building composites this large and complex, and Boeing seems to be learning only by trial and error. And maybe that is the only way to do it, even if Boeing has the world's most brilliant engineers on the case...CAD is not perfect, nor are human brains. But the rush job they've attempted leaves open the possibility of an error that never crossed the minds of anyone at Boeing or the FAA coming to light after deliveries have already taken place. And the decentralized construction increases the odds of conflicts exponentially.

Midnight Mike
2009-08-14, 04:10 PM

Totally disagree, while these delays are costly the improvements and corrections Boeing is making will ensure this airliner is safe and reliable.

What somebody feels personally is beyond anybody's control, but, because of these thorough testing process that things like this are caught.

The more problems are discovered, the more intensive the oversight process will become.

T-Bird76
2009-08-14, 04:13 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":r5dcnkeb]At this point I would be very uncomfortable flying a 787 until at least a few safe years in service had passed.

What somebody feels personally is beyond anybody's control, but, because of these thorough testing process that things like this are caught.

The more problems are discovered, the more intensive the oversight process will become.[/quote:r5dcnkeb]

Mike you swapped what Matt and I wrote..Matt's the nervous Nelly not me ;) I'll ride that bitch on her first flight!