PDA

View Full Version : ISP-LGA Flights?

PhilDernerJr
2009-08-05, 11:00 PM
From ISP's wikipedia page:

On April 4, 1955, United Airlines test flight crashed shortly after take off at MacArthur. The flight killed everyone onboard which included three crew members. The New York - LaGuardia bound flight lost control soon after take off.

United flew ISP-LGA? I'm tempted to label that dumb, lazy, and warranting of a punch to the face of any pax on those flights, so I thought I'd ask you folks if anyone could confirm and why.

AnBok
2009-08-05, 11:25 PM
Doesn't the quote say "test" flight? Check this out: http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 19550404-0 (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19550404-0)

Sounds like a training flight... Days before Level-D and such

Matt Molnar
2009-08-05, 11:29 PM
Sounds like it was a check ride, but I'm sure it's been done. Pretty sure I've read about multi-hop flights that included JFK-EWR.

The DC-6, named "Mainliner Idaho", took off from New York-Idlewild at 14:28 for a captain instrument proficiency check flight in the vicinity of Islip. At 15:27 the flight was cleared for an ILS approach to Islip-MacArthur Field. After landing the crew were cleared to taxi into position at runway 32. Takeoff clearance was given at 15:48 and 15:50. When climbing through 50 feet the right wing dipped and the DC-6 turned to the right. The climbing turn continued with an increasing bank angle. Bank angle was about 90deg when climbing through 150 feet. Control was lost and the aircraft dived into the ground. A fire broke out.

PROBABLE CAUSE: "Unintentional movement of no.4 throttle into the reverse range just before breaking ground, with the other three engines operating at high power output, which resulted in the aircraft very quickly becoming uncontrollable once airborne."

dimamo1983
2009-08-29, 01:42 AM
That would be a nice way to rack up the segments for the frequent flier status - a morning JFK-EWR-LGA-ISP-JFK hop on a weekend :)

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2009-09-01, 01:36 PM
There was scheduled service between ISP and LGA decades ago according to www.departedflights.com (http://www.departedflights.com). Can't remember if it was pre or post deregulation though.

JHNA57
2009-09-01, 02:39 PM
Pilgrim Airlines shows a Twin Otter flight that departed ISP at 10:45 am and arrived at LGA at 11:10 am.

That is a great website!! Those schedules show airlines and airplanes I've forgotten about over the years.
And to think as I used to watch those planes I would complain "Oh man, not another TWA 707". Be careful what you wish for!!!

Art at ISP
2009-09-03, 10:17 AM
Also, CO had an ISP-EWR trip on ATR-42's for a while. I wish they still did.....

I have discussed this with Larry Kellner of CO many times, and he said with the ATC situation, the flights would not operate reliably, and the yields on connections if he had to compete with WN would not work....I begged to differ, but he did say they were considering ISP-CLE at some point again with the Q400 if the economics worked...

That was a year ago, however--so I think ISP is going to remain a one and a half trick pony for now....

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2009-09-03, 05:24 PM
Would love it if DL reinstated ISP-ATL...but yes. That website is amazing!