PDA

View Full Version : The 10 most historically inaccurate movies

Midnight Mike
2009-08-04, 09:52 PM
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... t=0&page=1 (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article6738785.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1)

5 Pearl Harbour, 2001

The protagonists of Pearl Harbour, George Welch and Kenneth M. Taylor, are based on two real-life US Army Air Corps Second Lieutenants, but the film weaves such a wildly inaccurate account of their love lives and sky-swooping exploits, that the cinematic incarnations have been rendered fictional. Before his death in 2006 Taylor told his son he thought the movie was “over-sensationalized and distorted.” The film’s villains fair no better than its heroes - the Japanese are reduced to a war-hungry stereotype that even in 1967 embarrassed TV bosses enough to mask it in latex and it call Klingon before broadcast.

2 Braveheart, 1995

Not only was the Scottish hero William Wallace gruesomely executed in 1305, having been captured by the English at Falkirk, but seven centuries later his memory was exhumed, smeared with blue face paint and mutilated by Mel Gibson. Wallace was not the poor villager the film depicts, but a landowner and minor knight. The litany of fibs extends from Wallace’s love interest (Queen Isabella would have been about two-years-old at the time) to his kilt – a garment not developed for another three centuries. The historian Sharon L. Krossa likens it to “a film about Colonial America showing the colonial men wearing 20th century business suits.”

AnBok
2009-08-04, 10:02 PM
How about 2001: Space Odyssey.. We are supposed to have manned flights to Jupiter and the ultimate showdown between man and machine... Instead we have Windows XP, Mir falling out of the sky, birth of the iPod, my first solo flight, gems like Freddy Got Fingered, 9/11 and anthrax........ Man, did they predict that wrong!!

Oh and don't forget that the space ship from 2001 was flown by Pan Am

Yea yea yea, I know...

Matt Molnar
2009-08-04, 11:10 PM
5 Pearl Harbour, 2001
Not to mention those mountains they were flying over while training on LONG ISLAND. :lol:

T-Bird76
2009-08-05, 10:09 AM
How about 2001: Space Odyssey.. We are supposed to have manned flights to Jupiter and the ultimate showdown between man and machine... Instead we have Windows XP, Mir falling out of the sky, birth of the iPod, my first solo flight, gems like Freddy Got Fingered, 9/11 and anthrax........ Man, did they predict that wrong!!

Oh and don't forget that the space ship from 2001 was flown by Pan Am

Yea yea yea, I know...

The movies mentioned in the list all depict past events not the future. How can a film studio portray accurately what will happens in the future, they can't? 2001 was cinematically brilliant and from a sociology standpoint showed our reliance on machines, which is the case today. Now the movie 2010 is a rather interesting study, as I mentioned in other threads the political similarities are strikingly close to today, even the year is on point. In the movie 2010 the U.S doesn't have a space craft to reach Jupiter. Come 2010 our time we won't have a space craft of our own. In the movie we rely on the Russians to bring us into space, in 2010 our time we are going to rely on the Russians. In the movie we are in a Cold war with the Russians, and today we are entering another period of Cold war with the Russians. I find the similarities to be very interesting.

AnBok
2009-08-05, 11:09 AM
The movies mentioned in the list all depict past events not the future. How can a film studio portray accurately what will happens in the future, they can't?

Dude, I was kidding