PDA

View Full Version : Gyms on Long Island

T-Bird76
2009-07-30, 07:30 PM
So the gym I've been going to for 5 years has raised it rates to IMO an unjustifiable level, $65 a month and the only service upgrade they have done was open the gym up 24 hours a day. However I just can't see spending that kind of money so I let my membership expire.

Does anyone on here know of any decently priced, clean, non juice head gyms in Suffolk? I've checked out Planet Fitness...crowded to the point you can't park, Fitness 19, great gym but no Arch Trainers. I must have a gym with an Arch Trainer. All 4 Sports and Fitness is a contender but they are a bit pricey. Any suggestions would be great.

PhilDernerJr
2009-07-30, 07:36 PM
"Juice head" gyms don't bother me too much, because that tends to include both guidos, and peopel are lift seriously. The serious guys are good to have around. So I just like the non-nightclub gyms, which keeps out the guidos and socializing.

Wish I knew LI better. There are several good gyms in Queens that you'd enjoy.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-07-30, 08:12 PM
I go to All 4 Sports fitness and its really good there I highly recommend it. Everyone minds their own business and is nice.

eric8669
2009-07-31, 08:39 AM
I go to Bally's

They only have two locations in Suffolk.

Copiague, which I've heard is a very nice location
Bayshore, I use this one often, not bad.

Prices are decent.

mirrodie
2009-07-31, 11:16 AM
Powerhouse in Lindenhurst. Extremely clean, which is huge for me. Lots of treadmills and a few Arc Trainers, IIRC, at least 2. Lots of cable systems and free weights too. 90% of the cardio machines each have their own TV, nice plus.

I paid a promo of $399 for the year at opening so I don't know their rates now but I think I saw them run a special recently.

not too far off the beaten path from your work route. 956-3539, Call them and tell them the eye doc recommended them.

I can get you a free 3 day pass if interested.

T-Bird76
2009-07-31, 01:21 PM
Powerhouse in Lindenhurst. Extremely clean, which is huge for me. Lots of treadmills and a few Arc Trainers, IIRC, at least 2. Lots of cable systems and free weights too. 90% of the cardio machines each have their own TV, nice plus.

I paid a promo of $399 for the year at opening so I don't know their rates now but I think I saw them run a special recently.

not too far off the beaten path from your work route. 956-3539, Call them and tell them the eye doc recommended them.

I can get you a free 3 day pass if interested.

Weren't you almost accosted in the parking lot?

Mellyrose
2009-07-31, 03:39 PM
Weren't you almost accosted in the parking lot?

Luckily for Mario, he goes to Powerhouse Gym and is now strong enough to ward off any attackers :)

Matt Molnar
2009-07-31, 03:55 PM
NOT NOW CHIEF, I'M IN THE ZONE.

NIKV69
2009-07-31, 05:06 PM
They only have two locations in Suffolk.

Thought they had one in Lake Grove too?

Glad I joined Ballys in the early 90's. Once I paid off my membership its 80 bucks a year for life. 60 if I renew in 3 years clips. Good all over the country too. What is that place in Bayshore next to that dive bar Grizzlies? It looks decent.

mirrodie
2009-08-01, 12:51 PM
Does anyone on here know of any decently priced, clean, non juice head gyms in Suffolk?

Check the pricing, I know its clean. As far as juiceheads go, that was a singular encounter with a known tool.

That said, it is a full spectrum gym, so I see everyone from teens to retirees and the occasional juicehead (maybe once every other month)

I know you mentioned planet fitness, but how about Fitness 19, right across the street from my office?

Or the LA Fitness on Rte 110?

All depends on what you are looking for. But if you are too picky, a home gym is hte best bet and can be paid off in 3 years of a pricey gym membership

Fly1346
2009-08-01, 01:44 PM
Theres an LA fitness that opened up near my school (Stony Brook) on 347. I went there for a 2 week free membership, and now they keep calling me back! Offering me membership starting at $35 a month. I would suggest joining LA Fitness, one of the nicest, well maintained gyms out there!