PDA

View Full Version : Double Shocker- Taconic Pkwy accident

mirrodie
2009-07-30, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately, I knew too well the name of the woman in the Taconic Parkway tragedy.

However, the double shock came this morning as we learned that a passenger in the Copiague/Montauk highway crash was also a patient in our office.

May they rest in peace.

coachrowsey
2009-07-30, 11:59 AM
My thoughts & prayers to all. Sorry to hear of this.

PhilDernerJr
2009-07-30, 01:32 PM
A very sad story that was up in Westchester.

The on-ramp that she entered is the same one that I get off at to visit my sister. My brother is a firefighter at Briarcliff, the first responders. I am grateful that my brother wasn't on duty at the time to have to witness the aftermath.

:(

NIKV69
2009-07-30, 03:03 PM
I believe she was an exec with Cablevision if I am right. R.I.P and best wishes to the entire clan and family.

T-Bird76
2009-07-30, 03:59 PM
I believe she was an exec with Cablevision if I am right. R.I.P and best wishes to the entire clan and family.

She was a Director.

PhilDernerJr
2009-07-30, 04:13 PM
I haven't heard about the Montauk crash. Link/details?

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-07-30, 04:29 PM
I haven't heard about the Montauk crash. Link/details?I live right near where the accident was and apparently someone was drag racing and a car hit into a minivan, 3 people died. When I passed by it looked like a shooting until I saw the mini van, I thought to myself how can anyone survive this.

Article: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suff ... -1.1328636 (http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/4-killed-in-copiague-crash-1.1328636)

mirrodie
2009-08-04, 12:26 PM
OK, so triple shock.

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp ... d=77957954 (http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=233781&position=1&news_type=news&rand=77957954)

I feel bad for the families, but my G-d.

Matt Molnar
2009-08-04, 01:00 PM
OK, so triple shock.

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp ... d=77957954 (http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=233781&position=1&news_type=news&rand=77957954)

I feel bad for the families, but my G-d.
You know those people, too?

mirrodie
2009-08-04, 01:52 PM
You know those people, too?

Yes we knew the people in both incidents. But the newest post I put up refers to the Taconic one.

Matt Molnar
2009-08-04, 02:45 PM
Ahh, sorry, I thought that was the more recent Wantagh wreck.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-08-04, 02:48 PM
Today on the Southern State a car ran right into a tree.

T-Bird76
2009-08-04, 02:50 PM
Today on the Southern State a car ran right into a tree.

That's a daily occurence on that road of death...

NIKV69
2009-08-04, 03:13 PM

Yep Southern state has gotten so bad. Many drive agressively, weave, pass on the right, tailgate and cut you off. All at speeds in excess of 80 and above. The state police have definately lost control of that road. It's bad.

PhilDernerJr
2009-08-04, 04:10 PM
I can't believe she was drunk and high. Eight people dead because of her stupidity. I've been thinking a lot about that crash, wondering what it could have been.

mirrodie
2009-08-04, 05:30 PM
We are still in shock here. It's INSANE and the only thing that makes sense it that its was some insane suicide trip. The conference just held live on TV notes alcohol in her system AND still in her stomach as well as recent pot. And the family who saw her prior to leaving states all was well.

Lastly, an employee at a McD's along the way "declined" to remark on her wellbeing at the encounter.

Very suspect situation and terribly sad for this family on a whole other level.

mirrodie
2009-08-04, 05:33 PM
Wow, I take that back. It MUST have been a suicidal run:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suff ... -1.1347605 (http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/cops-diane-schuler-had-10-drinks-smoked-pot-before-crash-1.1347605)

Diane Schuler consumed about 10 alcoholic drinks and smoked marijuana 15 minutes to an hour before she drove the wrong way down the Taconic State Parkway last week, killing eight people, authorities said Tuesday.

Schuler, 36, of West Babylon, had a 0.19 blood-alcohol content level and significant levels of THC, the chemical found in marijuana, in her system, authorities said. About six grams of alcohol was still in her stomach, said Elizabeth Spratt of the Westchester County Laboratory, which conducted tests on Schuler's body fluids.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-08-04, 09:28 PM

Yep Southern state has gotten so bad. Many drive agressively, weave, pass on the right, tailgate and cut you off. All at speeds in excess of 80 and above. The state police have definately lost control of that road. It's bad.
I did see one Trooper at an exit but I doubt thats gonna make a difference, they really need to do something.

As far as that women: if you want to take your life thats fine by me but DO NOT take innocent lives.

NIKV69
2009-08-05, 08:42 AM
Not only that but she was seen driving like a lunatic before the crash. She sounds like the typical aggresive driver you see on our roads. Heavy foot, cutting off, tailgating mix that with substances and one wrong move and you have a disaster. In fact looking at a lot of vehicle crashes lately or over the past years driving too fast for conditions kills many. We just had one on the Wantaugh, we had a son and father killed on a watercraft. If you are doing the speed limit none of this happens. You won't lose control and if you crash at 55 you stand a much better chance of surviving but once you get in excess speed forget it. The media really just forgets this when they rush to euoligize this people and try to tug at our heart strings at the loss but they forget to tell us that this is so avoidable and that is the real tragedy here, that and the kids in the vehicle who are not driving who have no way to get out of that situation. Such needless loss.

mirrodie
2009-08-05, 09:39 AM
driving like a loon, well, 10 swings of vodka might do it.

Its a real buzz topic here. Whats the back story? Hows does this person, portrayed by people that knew her as an excellent mom, take such a cataclysmic fall from grace?

What's deplorable about News 12 is that they went right back to the neighborhood, seeking comments from the neighbors within an hour of the breaking news.

What drives a persona over the edge to decide to kill herself and her brother's kid's? Was her husband involved with the sister-in-law? Was she drugged and now is being framed to look the villain? Raises so many questions.

May God be with that family.

NIKV69
2009-08-05, 10:11 AM
driving like a loon, well, 10 swings of vodka might do it.

Actually both alcohol and pot are depressants and wouldn't cause a normal driver to become aggresive but if the suicidal thing is true it would explain a lot. I mean even if she was into pot and liquor why ingest so much so early in the morning with her kids? Also could explain the wrong way entrance into the parkway and hitting a car head on. I mean even if you mistakenly enter the wrong way in broad daylight you would see oncoming traffic no? Something is very weird here. We may never know.

PhilDernerJr
2009-08-05, 11:05 AM
Nick, it seems as though you're trying to apply rational thought to a woman, suicidal or not, was REALLY effin drunk. It's not that she was a crazy driver...she was a drunk one. It's not that she missed a "wrong way" sign, all of that is now explained in that she downed a bottle of vodka while driving. Signs, broad daylight, oncoming traffic...all booze.

The question left is, as Mario said, what led to her to drink like that?

NIKV69
2009-08-05, 11:35 AM
Nick, it seems as though you're trying to apply rational thought to a woman, suicidal or not, was REALLY effin drunk. It's not that she was a crazy driver...she was a drunk one. It's not that she missed a "wrong way" sign, all of that is now explained in that she downed a bottle of vodka while driving. Signs, broad daylight, oncoming traffic...all booze.

Phil the fact she was a crazy driver does play into this. Firstly I disagree with the suicidal theory. I don't think she would have taken the kids or someone else (other vehicle) with her. Also if someone is trying to kill herself why smoke pot as well? I know she wasn't acting very rational but someone contemplating ending her life wouldn't do it on the way back from a camping trip. Also your trying to say that a person that usually drives passively will turn agressive when drunk? I don't find this to be true, if anything someone over the legal limit will drive more passively. At this point all I can infer is she was loaded on both substances and missed taking the right onramp. Before this she was observed driving (most likely in her normal driving habit) very aggressively. Without any further "concrete evidence" I feel this may have led to her to take the wrong ramp and her lack of having her wits about her got up to a high rate of speed and didn't see the oncoming vehicle till it was too late. Yes it's true the fact she was tanked is going to be the major factor but I doubt it was suicide. Even though it may explain a lot.

wunaladreamin
2009-08-05, 04:10 PM

Phil the fact she was a crazy driver does play into this. Firstly I disagree with the suicidal theory. I don't think she would have taken the kids or someone else (other vehicle) with her. Also if someone is trying to kill herself why smoke pot as well? I know she wasn't acting very rational but someone contemplating ending her life wouldn't do it on the way back from a camping trip. Also your trying to say that a person that usually drives passively will turn agressive when drunk? I don't find this to be true, if anything someone over the legal limit will drive more passively. At this point all I can infer is she was loaded on both substances and missed taking the right onramp. Before this she was observed driving (most likely in her normal driving habit) very aggressively. Without any further "concrete evidence" I feel this may have led to her to take the wrong ramp and her lack of having her wits about her got up to a high rate of speed and didn't see the oncoming vehicle till it was too late. Yes it's true the fact she was tanked is going to be the major factor but I doubt it was suicide. Even though it may explain a lot.

Nick, suicide is an act of cowardice. For example, building/bridge jumpers will remove their glasses before they jump so their vision is distorted during the plummet, so being drunk AND high might have given her enough of a reality distortion to kill herself. This is one of those things which we will never know the full story behind the events that transpired. So very tragic and unnecessary.

NIKV69
2009-08-05, 04:29 PM
Nick, suicide is an act of cowardice. For example, building/bridge jumpers will remove their glasses before they jump so their vision is distorted during the plummet, so being drunk AND high might have given her enough of a reality distortion to kill herself. This is one of those things which we will never know the full story behind the events that transpired. So very tragic and unnecessary

True, one needs to look at the Garden City man who pulled the same scheme Madoff did and was on the verge of getting caught and killed his daughters and wife by knife but I am still doubtful this Taconic tragedy is suicide as of now. I would love to hear more of what the police know. Maybe a fight with her husband that morning or something along those lines etc. I sure would love to hear that cell phone conversation they had shortly before the crash. Maybe things will come out in time.

mirrodie
2009-08-05, 04:34 PM
alcohol and pot are depressants and wouldn't cause a normal driver to become aggresive

Good point.

it seems as though you're trying to apply rational thought to a woman

Well, Phil, in any case, you have to start with that and work from there.

I don't think she would have taken the kids or someone else (other vehicle) with her.

Also true, UNLESS she had some ridiculous axe to grind vs the brother or sis in law. It was her kids plus her brother's.

Phil the fact she was a crazy driver does play into this

Nick makes a point. Drunks are not typically aggressive. HOWEVER, its is FAR from a typical case. Truth is we are all floored. Its as mysterious as the Amish Schoolhouse killing. Was there ever an answer found?

Before this she was observed driving (most likely in her normal driving habit) very aggressively.

I can totally believe that.

PhilDernerJr
2009-08-05, 04:47 PM
there seems to be two assumptions here. One is that she was an aggressive driver BEFORE drinking...when there's no evidence that she's USUALLY an aggressive driver. I think the other thing to consider is that her driving might not have been "aggressive", but jsut "drunk" where she became heavy on the pedal from lack of awareness and drove erratic as opposed to aggressive.

NIKV69
2009-08-05, 05:05 PM
there seems to be two assumptions here. One is that she was an aggressive driver BEFORE drinking...when there's no evidence that she's USUALLY an aggressive driver. I think the other thing to consider is that her driving might not have been "aggressive", but jsut "drunk" where she became heavy on the pedal from lack of awareness and drove erratic as opposed to aggressive.

That is great phil but alcohol doesn't produce behavior it impairs behavior. Alcohol doesn't turn a normal careful driver into an aggressive one. It takes an aggresive driver (or any driver for that matter) deadly because alcohol slows our reaction and concentration time due to the depressant we have ingested. Also your erratic argument is contradicted by the many witnesses who called 911 to report she was tailgating, beeping at cars in front of her going slower than she was, straddling lanes and passing on the shoulder. All classic tactics used by aggressive drivers and not someone who was just heavy on the pedal from Vodka.

From what we know from the "evidence" collected so far this seems to be a woman who usually drives aggressively and very fast who ingested a huge amount of depressants and who made a wrong turn and was driving so fast and couldn't react to the oncoming vehicle. Until we get a bit more evidence to suggest otherwise.

T-Bird76
2009-08-05, 05:08 PM
Nick, suicide is an act of cowardice.

This is common misperception about people who commit suicide. People assume that taking one's life is an easy event, it’s not. In most failed suicide cases the victim explains that they were planning the act for months. That they decided to take their life to avoid others in their life getting further hurt by the events that lead up to their decision. While this thought paten is flawed since their death will only bring added trauma, death is a onetime occurrence and as time passes people can move on with their life, even with this persons absence. Cowardice thought and action will not display the same planning and reason. Simply removing one's glasses to blur vision is not evidence of being a coward but an attempt to avoid fear and try to find peace in one's last moments Many professionals will argue that suicide is an act of courage or self sacrifice.

A better term to use in cases like this woman would be greed. Most murders that precede a suicide are done because the person who takes their life wants their family with them in the assumed after life.

wunaladreamin
2009-08-05, 05:19 PM
Nick, suicide is an act of cowardice.

This is common misperception about people who commit suicide. People assume that taking one's life is an easy event, it’s not. In most failed suicide cases the victim explains that they were planning the act for months. That they decided to take their life to avoid others in their life getting further hurt by the events that lead up to their decision. While this thought paten is flawed since their death will only bring added trauma, death is a onetime occurrence and as time passes people can move on with their life, even with this persons absence. Cowardice thought and action will not display the same planning and reason. Simply removing one's glasses to blur vision is not evidence of being a coward but an attempt to avoid fear and try to find peace in one's last moments Many professionals will argue that suicide is an act of courage or self sacrifice.
Giving up on one's own life no matter the circumstances in the stead of working diligently to find a solution is a very far cry from courage or self sacrifice, and there are MANY loved ones left behind who can never fully move on. Time does not heal all wounds. The removing of the glasses was merely an example.

A better term to use in cases like this woman would be greed. Most murders that precede a suicide are done because the person who takes their life wants their family with them in the assumed after life.

Agreed but still all we or anyone else can do is speculate at this point.

PhilDernerJr
2009-08-05, 05:53 PM
Also your erratic argument is contradicted by the many witnesses who called 911 to report she was tailgating, beeping at cars in front of her going slower than she was, straddling lanes and passing on the shoulder. All classic tactics used by aggressive drivers and not someone who was just heavy on the pedal from Vodka.

My next question was going to be what your definition of "agressive driving" was, as I had not heard the reports that you mentioned. If that is the case, then I'd agree that there was somethign up with her emotionally as well.

For me, I'm a love drunk. I get a few drinks and I tell everyone how much I love and appreciate them. However, when I drink blackhaus, bad news. I get violent, plot murder, wars, arson, rip tickets off of mattresses.....bad stuff.

NIKV69
2009-08-05, 07:15 PM
What is missing is the events of that morning before she got into her minivan. Some sort of trigger, fight with husband etc. I mean even if this woman was a drunk or pot smoker to ingest that much before driving home from a campsite is wierd. Also I find it a little odd that her husband made the trip back seperately. I know it's not totally off the wall but there are many pieces of this puzzle missing. If she indeed was not normally an agressive driver what made her seem to be in such a hurry to get home? Did she buy the bottle of Vodka that morning? Was the one in found in the van the one she ingested? Until we found what put her in that state of mind we are just guessing. Though the family of the other three men killed is going to try to bring criminal charges. Which I think is going to hard but someone will be digging and if they are good we may get these answers but If I was a betting man I would rule out suicide and say something either pissed her off (fight w husband or something similiar) and she lost it and due to the fact she had to shuttle the kids back south the Island was rushing to get here. Where and when she smoked and drank is tough but she missed the right on ramp and the rest is history to use a terrible cliche. We should keep bumping this thread since I am sure the media will be on top of any developments in the crash and subsequent criminal or wrongful death proceedings.

PhilDernerJr
2009-08-05, 07:30 PM
I hate this part...when the family of victims is so unable to deal with their grief that they struggle to find a way to pin it on the family of the deceased aggressor, or whoever can cough up some money to make them feel better.

Gerard
2009-08-05, 07:59 PM
>[quote="NIKV69"]What is missing is the events of that morning before she got into her minivan. Some sort of trigger, fight with husband etc. I mean even if this woman was a drunk or pot smoker to ingest that much before driving home from a campsite is wierd. Also I find it a little odd that her husband made the trip back seperately. I know it's not totally off the wall but there are many pieces of this puzzle missing <

Yeah the husband angle is interesting. When I heard that he left by himself it gave me an "Mmmmmmmm?" moment. He also hired
famed criminal attorney Dominick Barbara today.
And buying liquor is something you can do at the spur of the moment, heading to any number of stores. Buying pot is totally
different. Where did she get it and from whom? Somebody at this moment is scrambling...or lawyering up.
And Phil I dont think the Yonkers family is looking for a payoff but I sure as hell agree with them looking for justice.

mirrodie
2009-08-05, 08:13 PM
Gerard, my thoughts as well. The husband's story just seems out of sorts. The history that she's not a heavy drinker, just doesnt add up.
The portrayal of a mum with a seemingly clear past gone off the deep end is suspect given the nature of the accident details.

mirrodie
2009-08-05, 10:06 PM
been watching fox 5 tonight, their lawyer Dominic Barbera said:

she never drank

she drove 40 mph only

the hubby is suicidal....

just snippets from the lawyer taking the case on for free!

PhilDernerJr
2009-08-05, 10:27 PM
the lawyer is saying she never drank that day or in general beforehand? Same question applies to the 40mph.

NIKV69
2009-08-05, 10:49 PM
Oh lord, where did they find this guy under a rock? Fresh from the Jessica Hahn and Joey days. Well the reason he took this pro bono is #1 the husband has no money and #2. This is shaping up to be one of the biggest news stories and his face will be everywhere. Not to mention he doesn't have to do much to win criminally. The plaintiffs only really have a chance with wrongful death in a civil suit. As for his claims it's his normal diversionary tactics with the knowledge this won't ever go to trial.

mirrodie
2009-08-05, 11:33 PM
the lawyer is saying she never drank that day or in general beforehand? Same question applies to the 40mph.

Lawyer asks on TV, "Did she drink? NEVER."

and later says the reason the hubby and her went separate is that he drove the dog and she drove 40 MPH.

Something doesnt seem right at all about the entire situation. Its akin to the Mets beating the Cards 9-0.

mirrodie
2009-08-05, 11:40 PM
Barbera handled Hahn? And Joey Buttafuoco?

Wow.

Getting weirder and weirder.

BTW, Nick, I haven't seen the Factor in several days. Have you seen if OReilly commented on the story? Its local but it has made national headlines on foxnews.com.

Mellyrose
2009-08-05, 11:42 PM
That is great phil but alcohol doesn't produce behavior it impairs behavior. Alcohol doesn't turn a normal careful driver into an aggressive one.

I have to interject.

Alcohol actually can do really effed up things to otherwise very calm and collected people (think Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde), making them extremely hostile, irrational and violent.

The drugs and alcohol could have sent Schuler, who may have been an already emotional or upset woman, on a reckless rampage...whether it was homicidal/suicidal may never be known.

Matt Molnar
2009-08-05, 11:57 PM
Barbera handled Hahn? And Joey Buttafuoco?
I believe he got his start with Hahn, which earned him some appearances on Howard Stern. Later he represented Joey and Mary Jo at different times. And Michael Lohan.

And he represented that guy who sued his wife to get his kidney back during their divorce.

Anyway, all the early reports stated that investigators DID NOT think alcohol was a factor because witnesses said they saw no swerving, no skid marks...she drove straight as an arrow. It IS possible that she passed out before the wreck and drove straight for a couple miles. Or it's possible the lab tests were wrong. Or it's possible she wanted to kill herself and others and used booze as liquid courage. Or, or, or...

Basically we'll never know what really happened, so there's not really any reason to argue about it. Only a matter of time until pols use this incident as justification for breathalyzers and black boxes in every vehicle.

Mellyrose
2009-08-06, 12:06 AM
....as justification for breathalyzers...in every vehicle.

Honestly, though extremely far fetched, if it meant putting one in every car of dangerous drunk drivers, I'd be HAPPY to have a breathalyzer in my car in order to start it every single time.

mirrodie
2009-08-06, 11:11 AM
Basically we'll never know what really happened

Actually given the details thus far and further investigation, I think its only a matter of time.

NIKV69
2009-08-06, 12:09 PM
The drugs and alcohol could have sent Schuler, who may have been an already emotional or upset woman, on a reckless rampage...whether it was homicidal/suicidal may never be known.

Would like to see a source here, most science doesn't agree with this. Any aggressive behavior could have not been triggered by simply ingesting that much vodka and had to come before this fact.

Actually given the details thus far and further investigation, I think its only a matter of time.

Just heard on the news her husband is going to try to exhume her body so he can conduct an independant autopsy. Also he is saying she could have had diabetes or a tooth problem which I would think he is going to try to play the medication thing.

mirrodie
2009-08-06, 12:37 PM
I can't medically see how an undxed condition of diabetes or anything else could be masked as 10 drinks in her system, most of those drinks still in her stomach or explain the THC. Further, unless they collected tissue samples from that day, newer tox screens will most likely be less efficient.

I think the more the husband talks, the worse it appears.

Wasnt there a scene in 40YrOldVirgin where to start the car she took a breathlzyer test? Does that exist?

Matt Molnar
2009-08-06, 01:25 PM
Update: She was diabetic, and she may have had a stroke.

mirrodie
2009-08-06, 01:48 PM
......yeah, according to her lawyer.

He also stated that marijuana use is not illegal. I guess I need to brush up on my laws????

PhilDernerJr
2009-08-06, 02:02 PM
Ironically to me, the lawyer, only that one lawyer, is turning this into a circus. The media isn't even doing that. This lawyer is disrepesecting ALL of the victims with his garbage.

Matt Molnar
2009-08-06, 03:19 PM
......yeah, according to her lawyer.
Wow, 1010WINS news alerts let me down...normally they only send messages for super important breaking news, not statements from lawyers, so I presumed this was news from the medical examiner. Fail.

mirrodie
2009-08-06, 03:45 PM
From
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nass ... -1.1350380 (http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/schuler-s-family-toxicology-results-raise-questions-1.1350380)

"The Hances said they had known Schuler to be "a responsible and caring mother and aunt."
New York State Police said Wednesday that Schuler's husband, Danny, and other friends and family have described her as a "social drinker." Only her husband - in a police interview Friday, four days before the toxicology results - said she occasionally used marijuana, police said."

I have some questions about those comments. Do normally responsible adults usually engage in drugs that are illegal? And are those who smoke pot also likely to also drink more than just socially?

NIKV69
2009-08-06, 04:26 PM
Update: She was diabetic, and she may have had a stroke

Def a plausible scenario but the brain does get disected during autopsy. Wouldn't they have found it?

He also stated that marijuana use is not illegal. I guess I need to brush up on my laws????

Yea it's real sad how Good ol Dominick is going to really turn this into an episode of Nancy Grace. Goodness.

This lawyer is disrepesecting ALL of the victims with his garbage.

Yea his credibility is dropping faster than that 380 landing in Wisconsin.

I have some questions about those comments. Do normally responsible adults usually engage in drugs that are illegal? And are those who smoke pot also likely to also drink more than just socially

Believe it or not yes, Take the people I see every day, rich successful many own their own businesses and I would say more than half smoke pot to some degree. Some more than others.

One thing I am curious about is toxicology able to tell that she smoked it that morning? I know it stays in your system for upwards of a month but could she have just drank?

PhilDernerJr
2009-08-06, 04:43 PM
Unfortunately, pot is way too common in adult/parental lives. I'm shocked regularly when I see parents from several generations lighting up.

To add, I am personally against it, but I don't judge most people who do it. Just not my thing. Keep it safe and responsible if you do though.

Mellyrose
2009-08-06, 05:19 PM
I know more of my friend's parents nowadays who still smoke pot, than my actual friends...

Also, the tox report stated that the levels of THC indicated that she had smoked within 15-60 minutes of her death.

mirrodie
2009-08-06, 07:12 PM
I have some questions about those comments. Do normally responsible adults usually engage in drugs that are illegal? And are those who smoke pot also likely to also drink more than just socially

Believe it or not yes, Take the people I see every day, rich successful many own their own businesses and I would say more than half smoke pot to some degree. Some more than others.

One thing I am curious about is toxicology able to tell that she smoked it that morning? I know it stays in your system for upwards of a month but could she have just drank?

Rich and successful does not equate to responsibility though. (ie. Many celebrities seen as rich and successful in their careers are total trainwrecks regarding responsibility.) To answer your question, IIRC you can by the amount of THC in the system how long ago it was smoked by measuring trace amounts.

Unfortunately, pot is way too common in adult/parental lives. I'm shocked regularly when I see parents from several generations lighting up.

To add, I am personally against it, but I don't judge most people who do it. Just not my thing. Keep it safe and responsible if you do though.

My thought exactly. I don't understand it.

T-Bird76
2009-08-07, 08:38 AM

Not to throw off the subject but drinking is all too common as well, but since its legal its "ok." I'm not shocked and don't see the problem with adults smoking pot....its healthily then smoking store bought cigarettes.

NIKV69
2009-08-07, 12:53 PM
Not to throw off the subject but drinking is all too common as well, but since its legal its "ok." I'm not shocked and don't see the problem with adults smoking pot....its healthily then smoking store bought cigarettes.

We often lose sight of the facts that alcohol and pot are both drugs. Both if done in moderation is fine. Problem is we abuse both. Fact is if you smoked a joint once on a while it would actually be a benefit due to it's medicinal value. Problem is most pot users smoke enough to get whacked out of their minds and act like idiots and do it on a regular basis. Remember it's called "substance abuse"

mirrodie
2009-08-07, 04:00 PM
Remember it's called "substance abuse"

Good point.

However, I personally make it a point to avoid something that would incriminate me. You can buy and sell cigarettes anytime. Try buying and selling pot with a cop standing nearby.

We can argue the pros/cons but in the final analysis, its illegal.

I stopped by my folks place and read more comments by the lawyer. Its just a circus. :cry:

Tom_Turner
2009-08-08, 06:37 PM
As we know, marijuana and alcohol both impair judgment and alcohol will lower inhibitions and marijuana can induce paranoia. Therefore not a good idea for the start of a roadtrip...obviously. But this is clearly a step further...

The only things I can think of is....

While its certainly very rare to have happen, but if she was a "social drinker" having a glass of wine at dinner once in a while or a beer here and there, and occasionally smoked marijuana in the relative safety of her own home, but suddenly was possessed (for who knows what reason) to imbibe Vodka for the first time and/or the marijuana was particularly potent, a small percentage of the population - on rare occasion - can pass into a borderline or genuine psychotic state.

The other possibility is she was in the very early stages of an otherwise naturally occurring state of some kind of mental illness (schizophrenia perhaps - though that often manifests itself at a younger age. But if not, some other dementia...). If that were the case, the drugs (alcohol and/or marijuana), may have kicked things off into high gear).

But we may never know...

Tom

Matt Molnar
2009-08-09, 08:53 PM
WTF:

Exactly two weeks after Diane Schuler's fateful wrong way drive and crash on the Taconic left eight people dead, a woman was pulled over after driving across the Tappan Zee Bridge in the wrong direction. The 75-year-old woman from Irvington made it two miles across the bridge to the Rockland County side before being stopped by state troopers. She told that them that she was aware that she had been driving the wrong way, but kept going because she thought there would be a place to make a U-turn. The woman had even gone through the tolls in the wrong direction—the TZ toll lanes have no arm to block her. She ended up driving in the wrong direction from the Westchester side after she accidentally entered the off-ramp from the highway, missing her exit to get on the Major Deegan Expressway. Police ticketed her for improperly entering a highway, driving in the wrong direction and reckless driving. The incident took plays ominously close to where Schuler's deadly drive went haywire, accidentally getting on the Saw Mill Parkway in Tarrytown before heading back toward the Taconic. http://gothamist.com/2009/08/09/woman_d ... ross_t.php (http://gothamist.com/2009/08/09/woman_drives_wrong_way_across_t.php)

Mellyrose
2009-08-10, 06:26 PM
...and today while driving on Northern Blvd, we witnessed the moron in front of us drive directly into oncoming traffic. Unbelievable how dangerous/dumb people are on the road, even when assumedly not intoxicated.

Matt Molnar
2009-08-17, 06:45 PM
And again...drunk driver going wrong way on Garden State Parkway during rush hour this evening caused two thankfully minor accidents.