PDA

View Full Version : NEW ARTICLE: Hold Short(comings): Part One

PhilDernerJr
2009-07-29, 12:10 AM
In light of recent developments meant to enhance situational awareness and aviation safety on the ground, Brian Futterman discusses the nature of runway incursions and challenges the merits of adding to existing technology instead of developing it anew.

http://nycaviation.com/2009/07/29/hold- ... -part-one/ (http://nycaviation.com/2009/07/29/hold-shortcomings-part-one/)

PhilDernerJr
2009-07-29, 03:33 PM
I was pretty excited just to get to enjoy Futt's first article on the new site here.

I had never put into perspective the transponder's location on the aircraft versus the aircraft's size and placement. Also, one is left to wonder what advancement and changes will need to be made as we go further into the 21st century.

I wanted to paste in a comment left by "Dave" on the article page there:

The ASDEX system is indeed NOT supposed to be used instead of controller eyes out the window- it is a supplemental system to alert when a hazardous situation is detected. The man has the responsibility, the machine is the backup.

I think there may be limited circumstances during poor weather when controllers may use it to determine where aircraft are and issue clearances, I'm not sure.

RWSL is designed to alert a pilot that the automated system has detected an aircraft and that a runway is not safe to enter or to cross, but it is not used to give permission- again, the automated safety system alerts to a detected problem, but does not guide aircraft or give permission to pilots to perform actions.

None of these systems will catch every possible problem, and I really hope that lack of an alert/warning is not taken as a signal that all is well- that's the job of the controllers eyes, and is the controllers responsibility.

Very interesting stuff.

njgtr82
2009-07-29, 06:36 PM
ASDE-X is crap. Its only purpose is to prevent a colision. It was originally designed for smaller facilities who didn't have the ASDE3 system. We have alot of issues with it yet they still made us start using it. False targets randomly pop up on runways and taxiways, aircraft will be at a complete stop yet they target will start spinning and moving on its own. Not what I want to see when vis and ceilings are low and I can't see these guys with my own eyes. Also all aircraft in the same weight class have the same size target, so an A310 and A340-600 have the same target, so the tail of the 340 will still be on the runway but according to the ASDE-X its clear. I don't trust this system and could rant and rave about how lousy it is but the FAA doesn't care. Waste of money just for a color screen.

PhilDernerJr
2009-07-29, 07:14 PM
ASDE-X is crap.

Since you work closely with it, why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel? :lol:

It sounds flawed for sure.

njgtr82
2009-07-29, 08:19 PM
ASDE-X is crap.

Since you work closely with it, why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel? :lol:

It sounds flawed for sure.

Oh I was trying to keep this rated "PG" lol