PDA

View Full Version : July 19th marks 20 years since the crash of UA232

Delta777LR
2009-07-18, 09:11 AM
Tomorrow marks 20 years since United Airlines Flight 232 a DC-10 crashed in Sioux City, Iowa after a failure of the #2 engine just after take off from Denver. The plane suffered hydraulic fluid loss which made the plane more difficult to fly. The crew did their best trying to control the aircraft which remained flying until they reached Iowa to attemped an emergency landing, the plane lost control while attempting to land in Sioux City at 200nts and split apart as it landed. The good part, more lived than died as 186 out of 200 plus survived, thanks to effert of the crew..

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2009-08-11, 06:11 PM
Great, my birthday of all times.

LGA777
2009-08-11, 09:32 PM
I had the pleasure of hearing retired UA Capt AL Haynes speak twice at two different airliners international conventions. He is not only a great public speaker but the hearing him describe in detail how they got the DC-10 on the ground was fascinating.

Their was a pretty good made for TV movie about the accident, I thought Capt Haynes was very lucky to have his role played by and done awesomely by legondary actor Charlton Heston.

http://www.airodyssey.net/movies/movie-flt232.html

Regards

LGA777

mirrodie
2009-08-11, 10:25 PM
Very glad to hear Haynes speak (and on my wifes bday, no less) at the Cradle of Aviation a few years back.

HOw is his daughter? I heard she was sick for some time.