PDA

View Full Version : WN Jet diverts to West Va due to hole in Fuselage

Alex T
2009-07-13, 07:46 PM
http://www.wsmv.com/news/20043443/detail.html#

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A Southwest Airlines flight that took off from Nashville at about 4 p.m. Monday was diverted after losing cabin pressure.

Flight 2294 was bound for Baltimore but had to land in Charleston, W. Va., instead.

Alex

Matt Molnar
2009-07-13, 11:37 PM
It landed at 5:10 p.m. after the crew reported a football-sized hole in the middle of the cabin near the top of the aircraft, McInnis said.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Matt Molnar
2009-07-13, 11:39 PM
Southwest says it will inspect all 181 of its 733s overnight.

Matt Molnar
2009-07-13, 11:43 PM
http://www.wsmv.com/2009/0713/20043835_240X180.jpg

Alex T
2009-07-14, 03:50 PM
N387SW was effected aircraft

N713SW(Shamu Plane--No Blowhole jokes please ;)) was the plane ferried in to CRW to pick up the stranded passengers.

All 181 737-300 were inspected overnight by MX and nothing was found that would cause concern.

WN had another diverted STL-MCO today diverted to MCO due to claimed fire in the APU, however no visible damage or anything in that regards, and somehow the media connected it to the hole on the plane from yesterday I LUV the media :lol:

Will be interesting to see what was the cause of the hole at the top.

For those thinking this is NOT an antenna plane or anything, those are only on four -700's for wireless testing.

Alex

T-Bird76
2009-07-14, 03:57 PM
Alex you do know who I blame for this don't you?

Matt Molnar
2009-07-14, 04:12 PM
I wonder how many seats had to be cleaned due to passengers pooping their pants?

Imagine how loud that must have been? Not just the pop, but the 500 mph breeze rushing over that hole.

moose135
2009-07-14, 05:26 PM
At least we can assume it wasn't a pilot shooting off his gun randomly in the cockpit :shock:

NIKV69
2009-07-14, 05:36 PM

Means really nothing. The inspections were probably a walk around visual from the outside and was probably something WN threw out there to quell any fears. The only way to do anything thorough is during maintainance.

Alex T
2009-07-14, 05:54 PM

Means really nothing. The inspections were probably a walk around visual from the outside and was probably something WN threw out there to quell any fears. The only way to do anything thorough is during maintainance.

Well would you rather WN sit down and do NOTHING, and wait for the FAA to pounce and do something?

WN actually did the inspections and more then walked around. They flew MX folks to diff stations to make sure they were equipped with enough visuals and such to inspect the planes. This was done at the RON airports, which is almost all of the airports, so a ratio of 2.47 aircrafts (737-300) to inspect overnight. It got done.

No, this was not a thorough or mandated thing, but mechanics were on hand at the stations to inspect those -300s to ensure they were good for departure in the morning.

This a very proactive move on WN, whether for PR reasons or safety, it had to be done.

Alex

NIKV69
2009-07-14, 06:30 PM
Well would you rather WN sit down and do NOTHING, and wait for the FAA to pounce and do something?

Did I say that Alex? We all are well aware of the fact you bleed blue and orange but no need to jump on anyone that says something. As for the FAA, WN is probably on thier hot list after the inspection debacle. In fact I wouldn't even question it but you do remember what happened back in 2008 don't you?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/02/southw ... topstories (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/02/southwest.faa.inspection/index.html?eref=rss_topstories)

So before you bring my comment into question just remember that your airline was flying planes that were way past their mandatory inspections.

WN actually did the inspections and more then walked around. They flew MX folks to diff stations to make sure they were equipped with enough visuals and such to inspect the planes. This was done at the RON airports, which is almost all of the airports, so a ratio of 2.47 aircrafts (737-300) to inspect overnight. It got done.

Well all that means is they had more people to do the inspections which were still just basically looking at the exterior and can't see much of anything. To do an inspection properly the plane would probably have to be taken out of service. If in fact this was due to metal fatigue you would never be able to see those cracks by doing a visual.

Alex T
2009-07-14, 06:51 PM

Did I say that Alex? We all are well aware of the fact you bleed blue and orange but no need to jump on anyone that says something. As for the FAA, WN is probably on thier hot list after the inspection debacle. In fact I wouldn't even question it but you do remember what happened back in 2008 don't you?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/02/southw ... topstories (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/02/southwest.faa.inspection/index.html?eref=rss_topstories)

So before you bring my comment into question just remember that your airline was flying planes that were way past their mandatory inspections

I don't disagree with that, even I admit when I heard this happen I thought of the crack incident before, I worked there, and I was flying the day it happened, I remember this very well. We are very quick to jump though and decide it was crack issues until the NTSB has figured out what was the cause. Do you also remember when AA was flying around many MD80's also that were not airworthy either? Bleeding Blue and Orange has nothing to do with anything. I defend all airlines when possible not just WN, and this can be backed up. I jumped on you because you pushed off the inspections as nothing, however you probably would be the guy that asked why didn't WN do anything if they didn't ground the -300's and did the inspections themselves.

Well all that means is they had more people to do the inspections which were still just basically looking at the exterior and can't see much of anything. To do an inspection properly the plane would probably have to be taken out of service. If in fact this was due to metal fatigue you would never be able to see those cracks by doing a visual.

Well yes, more people were able to do it, what I was saying was, WN only had to inspect 181 aircrafts, not all of them, as I did the math an average of 2.47 -300s per station, it could VERY easily been done to have a more thorough inspection by the folks because of that. I will take the mechanics word at SWA over anyone else, including you, so if you hold a mechanic license and such and was there during WN's inspections last night feel free to talk.

Alex

jetblue187
2009-07-15, 08:18 PM
ANOTHER REASON I DONT "FLY" SOUTHWEST...UNDER INSPECTED PLANES...."OLD".

Alex T
2009-07-15, 08:41 PM

Wow, so I hope you are not flying AA S80 then, and ERJ135 under CHQ, and oh why are you flying B6 then when the tire exploded and they had to divert to LAX just by your statements.

Very immature statement.

Alex

T-Bird76
2009-07-15, 08:45 PM

Can you back your statement up that Southwest's planes are under inspected? Do you even know where your beloved jetBlue planes are maintained?

jetblue187
2009-07-15, 09:04 PM
No tire exploded on the jetBlue aircraft...it was just that the wheel was facing the wrong direction.

With the SWA Aircraft fleet "under inspected"..well..I got that from one of the big news channels like MSNBC...and they said that SWA Aircraft have never been checked on besides the AA aircraft as well.

JetBlue Aircraft are most likely maintained at JFK or El Salvador, my guess. Theyre a young fleet(B6's Fleet)...of an average of 4-5 years..compared to SWA's fleet of 15-20 years old.

moose135
2009-07-15, 09:19 PM
The FAA, working with the airline, sets standards for inspections and maintenance. Are you saying the FAA is allowing SWA to perform inspections at a less-frequent rate than other airlines, or are you accusing SWA of falsifying their maintenance records to show that they are complying with FAA requirements?

NIKV69
2009-07-15, 09:32 PM
Can you back your statement up that Southwest's planes are under inspected. Are you saying the FAA is allowing SWA to perform inspections at a less-frequent rate than other airlines, or are you accusing SWA of falsifying their maintenance records to show that they are complying with FAA requirements?

I think we did see that it was proven that WN was knowingly flying planes that were way past their mandatory inpection dates. Did either of you two read the link I posted earlier in this thread? I am not saying jetblue187's point was totally valid but you can't deny that WN has or had major issues with their behavior when it came to inspections.

moose135
2009-07-15, 09:42 PM
Did either of you two read the link I posted earlier in this thread? I am not saying jetblue187's point was totally valid but you can't deny that WN has or had major issues with their behavior when it came to inspections.
Yes, I did. It was for issues that happened more than a year and a half ago, and the FAA fined SWA for their actions and have increased oversight since then.

Alex T
2009-07-15, 09:44 PM
No tire exploded on the jetBlue aircraft...it was just that the wheel was facing the wrong direction.

With the SWA Aircraft fleet "under inspected"..well..I got that from one of the big news channels like MSNBC...and they said that SWA Aircraft have never been checked on besides the AA aircraft as well.

JetBlue Aircraft are most likely maintained at JFK or El Salvador, my guess. Theyre a young fleet(B6's Fleet)...of an average of 4-5 years..compared to SWA's fleet of 15-20 years old.

Shoddy MX then! B6 should be banned and never fly again then for having the wheel face the wrong direction! Worse then a tire explosion!

15-20 yrs is old? Wow, bud, don't fly AA, or NW, pssst they have over 35-40 yrs old DC9's ;)

Alex

T-Bird76
2009-07-15, 09:47 PM

Just the wheel facing the wrong way? LOLOLOLOLOL yeah minor problem why would the wheel need to face the right way?

Southwest's planes are fully inspected and even more so now since the fine from the FAA.

As for their fleet....Southwest is a much older airline then jetBlue hence their fleet is going to be older. btw recall when jetBlue screwed 1000s of ppl two winters ago?