PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Shutter Lag

Speedbird1
2009-07-09, 10:00 AM
I just bought a point and shoot camera and while it takes nice photos of slow-moving aircraft taxying, it is useless for photographing a departure. As a result, I missed great shots yesterday of 747 freighters such as EVA and CAL departures yesterday. It seems there is a 5 second lag between shots meaning that I could get at most 1 shot of a departure. I tried using the "continuous shot" setting but that did not help. Do more expensive SLR cameras have this problem too? What causes this? I never had problems using a 35mm SLR.

T-Bird76
2009-07-09, 10:39 AM
Do more expensive SLR cameras have this problem too? What causes this? I never had problems using a 35mm SLR.

SLR's do not have this problem. Point and shoots have to write to the memory card and that takes time depending on the speed of the camera and memory card. Point and shoots generally do not have a buffer memory like SLRs. P and S's aren't ideal to shoot moving objects.

heeshung
2009-07-09, 11:38 AM
That is what I've found to be one of the biggest benefit of an SLR, to be able to snap a multitude of photos every second without needing to wait for the memory card to finish writing.

mmedford
2009-07-10, 12:55 AM
Really, think you need some practice, I get some pretty good action shots with my P&S. It's really all about practice.

Jetinder
2009-09-10, 09:20 PM
I guess you're talking about digital cameras, 35mm film cameras never suffer from shutter lag.

Until they stop selling film and I am forced to buy a Digital SLR, i will continue to use my faithful and trusty 35mm film SLR.

SmAlbany
2009-09-11, 09:11 AM
Really, think you need some practice, I get some pretty good action shots with my P&S. It's really all about practice.

I agree. Practice helps.

Also, 5 seconds seems long. Make sure that you pre-focus if possible. For departure shots, you may do better with manual focus - if your P&S allows it.

In the mean time, save your pennies for that DSLR. There's really no comparison :-)

PhilDernerJr
2009-09-11, 09:24 AM
Practice or not, some point and shoots have a multi-second delay between pressing the button and taking the photo.

moose135
2009-09-11, 10:31 AM
I guess you're talking about digital cameras, 35mm film cameras never suffer from shutter lag.
Neither do DSLRs - the shutter lag on DSLR bodies is usually around 50 milliseconds, which is about the same as a film body.