PDA

View Full Version : Airshow over Yankee Stadium

Speedbird1
2009-06-15, 08:37 AM
They had a small airshow yesterday over the Stadium. About 5 Golden Knights parachuted onto the field and their aircraft kept circling over. What kind of aircraft does the US Army use? Then, a Direct TV Airship hovered overhead all afternoon. Sadly, the Mets never scored.

moose135
2009-06-15, 08:41 AM
What kind of aircraft does the US Army use?
It's a Fokker F-27

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/549679549_7CSoS-L.jpg

Speedbird1
2009-06-15, 10:53 AM
I thought it was a Fokker C-31A. She circled over Yankee Stadium many times I guess to get correct wind readings which is crucial for a safe and precise landing.

moose135
2009-06-15, 11:08 AM
Yes, sort of...the Army designation is C-31, but it's based on the Fokker Model F-27 Friendship. Originally they were leased from Fokker for use by the Golden Knights, and after they were purchased, the Army gave them the C-31 designation.

And from seeing enough of these flyovers, I'm sure a big part of them circling was to get them in the area in plenty of time, then waiting on their cue. Last week at Pocono, I saw the C-5 circling off to the north for about 20 minutes before they actually made their pass as the National Anthem ended.

Gerard
2009-06-15, 07:15 PM
They had a small airshow yesterday over the Stadium. About 5 Golden Knights parachuted onto the field and their aircraft kept circling over. What kind of aircraft does the US Army use? Then, a Direct TV Airship hovered overhead all afternoon. Sadly, the Mets never scored.

The Yankees provided the rest of the "airshow". :lol:
Did we find out where they staged from?