PDA

View Full Version : Southern California(Los Angeles) Tomorrow.

eric8669
2009-06-09, 11:30 AM
Tomorrow I will be traveling to the L.A. Area for more of a vacation. No spotting this time.

I will be traveling with a friend, she and I want to hit up all the spots.

Doing the Museum thing, Studio Tours, etc...

Anybody have any recommendations for Food, sights, etc...

I will have 4 full days.

Thanks.

mirrodie
2009-06-09, 12:30 PM
Hey Eric, have a great trip.

Our last trip was for a wedding held at the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History. I recommend it here. But look closely at the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 6&t=h&z=18 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=los+angeles+county+museum+of+natural+history&sll=40.795436,-73.692127&sspn=0.813006,1.235962&ie=UTF8&ll=34.015962,-118.285997&spn=0.003366,0.006866&t=h&z=18)

In the view, the Museum is to the left of Exposition Park. But if you look to the right of the park, there is an SR 71 blackbird and a 707. Check that museum as well as we did not get to it.

Also, be sure to grab dinner at Olivera street, great mexican food and local flair on the cheap.

Go to Venice Beach, ogle the chicks and do some pullups. And take a ride up Pacific Coast highway, up to Oxnard and back.

Derf
2009-06-09, 12:36 PM
I do not think there is anywhere better to go then here!
http://www.midway.org/

Less than a two hour drive...just think of it as being just enough time to charge your camera batteries! :borat: :lol:

T-Bird76
2009-06-09, 12:46 PM
I wasn't a fan of Venice Beach Eric...its not very nice, good places to drink and party which we did but its a bit crude. Instead go to Manhattan Beach, great crowd, nice shops and much cleaner then Venice beach. Make sure you do breakfast at Uncle Bills Pancake house in Manhattan...best breakfast you'll ever have! The Manhattan Beach Brew house is a nice place to eat to, great bar type food at great prices.

A drive up the coast is amazing too; you can easily do Santa Barbra to Solvang in a day and be back to LA by 10 PM. If I go out in Nov I'm going to take a drive up the coast again and do an overnight along the way. I think you’ll really enjoy Santa Barbra, loads to see and do, plenty of good places to eat and the view of the Pacific with the mountains in the background can’t be beat.

mirrodie
2009-06-09, 02:02 PM
Agree with Tom, Venice Beach is not NICE, but I do think a 10 minute stop is worth it as I like the background with the ferris wheel and the park.

And do agree, if taking that drive, drive past Oxnard another 40 minutes or so. Solvang is a cute town.

But hit Olvera street for sure. *stomach sighs*

Oh, just remembered, also check out Union Station. Nice old rail station with architecture not seen here. Then ask for .....Philippe's for an open turkey sandwich. its 3 blocks away. It's been there for years, very well known by locals.

(the recommendations above are from friends and family that live there and told us what to see).

Matt Molnar
2009-06-09, 02:29 PM
Oh, just remembered, also check out Union Station.
Good call. There really isn't much to see within downtown LA in the way of architectural landmarks, but that's one of the nicer spots. Also check out the Disney Theater, designed by Frank Gehry....it looks like one of the spaceships from Independence Day if it crashed into a city and started to melt. The Westin Bonaventure hotel is kinda neat looking too.

eric8669
2009-06-09, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys for all the recommendations.

Iberia A340-600
2009-06-09, 04:10 PM
I second Tommy's recommendation of Manhattan Beach. When I was in LA in January I stayed very close to Manhattan Beach and spent some time browsing the shops and eating some amazing food. I can't quite remember the name of it, but there is an amazing Italian restaurant on the right hand corner of the main street which is definitely worth checking out.

I'd also recommend checking out the Getty if you are interested in art. The property is situated high above LA with great gardens, buildings, and a great art collection.

Gerard
2009-06-09, 06:07 PM
The Griffith Park Observatory is an excellent place especially on a clear day with its "i can see for miles" views of
the LA area. Between gawking at the views then spending time inside the Observatory I was there for over
3 hours. And if you bring your hiking boots/sneakers you can head up into the paths on the mountains. But get there
before 11ish to get a good parking spot.

http://www.griffithobs.org/

Gerard
2009-06-09, 06:10 PM
.>.[quote="eric8669"]Tomorrow I will be traveling to the L.A. Area for more of a vacation. No spotting this time<.

A true spotter is always looking and watching even when not actively spotting!!
:lol:
Enjoy your trip.

mirrodie
2009-06-09, 09:51 PM
The Westin Bonaventure hotel is kinda neat looking too.

And not a bad place to stay either. Also, there is a nice building diagonally across the street from it, just nice architecture.

I'd also recommend checking out the Getty if you are interested in art.

Oh, how could I forget! I too highly recommend the Getty Center. And I think its nearly free.

is an excellent place especially on a clear day Los Angeles and Clear day, arent they oxymorons?

LGA777
2009-06-10, 08:09 PM
Eric, I did not see this till the day you left but I assume you will check this post so writing anyway. I used to spend a lot of time in LA so I want to add some tips. All are cheap or free and fun.

First Venice Beach. Even though it got some thumbs down from some good friends here is my take. If you and your friend like to people watch and enjoy the odd and unusual then at least take a quick spin thru. It reminds of NYC's Village but by the ocean. Most unique people watching spot in LA.

Just to the north is Santa Monica, one of my favorite area's. I really like walking on the pier, there is a nice little causal and fairly reasonable Mexican resturant out at the end, great place to catch an LA sunset, website is below, most entrees under $12-13.

http://www.mariasol.com/

Two other recomendations that will only cost you gas and you can do together are a drive down the famous sunset strip in West Hollywood, more fun at night, followed by a night drive on also famous Mulholland Drive, with amazing view of both LA and the valley. From Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood go north on Laurel Canyon Blvd, its a few miles of climbing winding road, At Mulholland drive turn right or east and it dead ends on US 101, be sure to pull over at a couple of the overlooks, trust me best night views by car in the entire country, and again aside from Gas it's free. Many of the celebs live up their.

Have a great time Eric and friend

LGA777

PS: For anyone else reading this thread my tips are for you to, enjoy !

eric8669
2009-06-16, 06:32 AM
Well I'm back.

Had a great time. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Some of the places I visited. Universal Studios, The Getty Center, MOCA, Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica Pier, Hollywood, Griffith Observatory and up to Santa Barbara to find some some sun. As for food, Found this great Sushi place in Marina del Rey, Uncle's Bills was great(Thanks Tommy), Went to a Veggie place up in West Hollywood where I had Soy Orange Chicken(Tasted like the real thing). And yes I did make it to that park across the street from IN N Out for some casual spotting and some Fries.

T-Bird76
2009-06-16, 09:18 AM
How was the drive up to SB? Please tell me you took the PCH and not the interstate?

eric8669
2009-06-16, 04:17 PM
How was the drive up to SB? Please tell me you took the PCH and not the interstate?

Yes, We took the PCH up. Made multiple stops along the way.