PDA

View Full Version : Airasia X new destination ...USA ??

Hiflyer
2009-05-17, 10:22 PM
Hi Guys,

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq189/quokka/AirAsiaA340-313X150509.jpg

Photographed in the SIA Engineering hangar at Singapore's Changi Airport on 15th May is this former Air Canada A340-313X C-GDVZ c/n 278, which has a painted logo of the 'Oakland
Raiders' on the tail. The aircraft departed Canada wearing its full c/s, so this logo has been
applied in Singapore. There is a lot of speculation as to the reasoning behind this, possibly a
new route to the USA is on the cards.

Any ideas......Very strange to have an asian LLC airline wearing a USA NFL team logo on its tail.

Cheers Hiflyer / downunder

Matt Molnar
2009-05-18, 01:13 AM
The guy swears it's an A343, but it doesn't sound like he's actually seen anything more than the tail. I am nearly certain there are no windows on that plane, which leads me to believe it is an A300 freighter. I am going to take it up with the photographer in the anet thread (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4413165/).

Hiflyer
2009-05-18, 01:58 AM
From another Forum:

Air Asia X considering a US connection by either Kuala Lumpur - LAX via HKG or
Kuala Lumpur to NYC via London (Stansted).

Hiflyer

Hiflyer
2009-05-18, 02:31 AM
Guys,

Heres the link:

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/news_ ... ?id=399578 (http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/news_lite.php?id=399578)

Cheers Hiflyer

Matt Molnar
2009-05-18, 02:58 AM
Very interesting, I hope they make it here. Still doesn't explain the Raiders thing. :)

Another suggestion: the lack of windows could be due to a decal, and they plane is being used for a photo shoot or a movie. I don't buy that either. Why would the Raiders use a plane from Singapore for such a thing?

LGA777
2009-05-18, 03:57 PM
When Air Asia first start recieving A-320's a few years ago one of their first A-320's was painted in the colors of Manchester United, the infamous football team of Manchester, UK and that was several years before the even thought of the Air Asia X brand and long haul service. Am I the only one who see's a pattern here?

Regards

LGA777

Tom_Turner
2009-05-19, 10:06 PM
Yeah, but American football wouldn't mean anything (at all) outside of the USA.. I believe its an A340. Perhaps they've decided on LAX... but who knows.. we'll see I guess..

Tom

Iberia A340-600
2009-05-20, 09:48 AM
The aircraft is definitely an A340-300. Apparently this second A340-300 is needed to make their KUL-STN flight daily starting in July but I would think this scheme implies that OAK is their destination of choice in the US, not LAX or JFK. It wouldn't be the first time an Asian LCC served OAK over SFO as Oasis Hong Kong flew HKG-OAK until their demise.

There is a photo in the Anet thread showing the full aircraft in flight. So far the livery is pretty ugly!

LGA777
2009-05-20, 09:54 PM
There is a photo in the Anet thread showing the full aircraft in flight. So far the livery is pretty ugly!

Just checked out the thread, one of the UGLIEST Airbus widebodies I have ever seen. The attempt at decalling a football helmut on the nose fails miserably.

On the other hand the normal Air Asia X scheme is not bad !

Regards

LGA777

Matt Molnar
2009-05-26, 08:47 PM

W T F

T-Bird76
2009-05-26, 09:49 PM

W T F

That's the ugliest plane I've ever seen.....

DHG750R
2009-05-27, 12:53 PM
It certainly looks ... unfinished, the wing body fairing appears unpainted.

Thats one ugly plane..

N101CV
2009-05-27, 01:05 PM
That airplane has to be the worst looking airplane on the planet. Not to mention the football team. :lol:

Hiflyer
2009-05-30, 07:17 PM
Gidday All,

Update: Latest Photos from a Thai Aviation forum.

http://www.hflight.net/forum/m-1243595743/

Cheers Hiflyer

Alex T
2009-05-31, 12:10 AM
Just to throw something out there...

Hong Kong Oasis was going to be WN's code share partner for Asia out of OAK when they collapsed.

WN is still looking for an Asian Code Share airline to deal with out of OAK or rather west coast...seems uncanny, this airline, Air Asia X has Oakland stuff on a plane hmmh...

*stirs pot*

Did I mention there is supposed to be some more big WN news coming this summer? *stirs the pot more*

I'll leave it to you folks to discuss, I personally don't know a thing, but these are like everything else, rumors, but certainly uncanny of the timings... :mrgreen:

Alex

Matt Molnar
2009-05-31, 12:56 AM
Innnteresting. Though a Thai carrier would be a very odd choice, I think.

Matt Molnar
2009-05-31, 01:00 AM
From Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/x-514-Oakland-Raiders-Examiner~y2009m5d20-Airbus-A340-mystery-solved-Oakland-Raiders-and-Air-Asia-X-set-to-announce-Commitment-to-Excellence)

The Oakland Raiders have come to agreement with Air Asia X, which is a low-budget long-haul airliner that primarily serves Asia. This is not, as rumored, indicative of Air Asia X opening service to the United States, as according to [Raiders CEO Amy] Trask that is not in their immediate plans. It is instead a chace for the Raiders to enhance their brand globally.

This agreement with Air Asia X is not an indication that the Raiders are dropping their long-time partner Hawaiian Airlines. Trask joked, "We can dominate the airlines. If you buy a plane you can paint it in Raider colors." She said that the Raiders will continue their terrific relationship with Hawaiian, and there would be no conflict because both airliners cover different routes and territory.

The speculation had the plane with the name Autumn Wind 1, but with Air Asia X having a tradition of all of their planes carry an X as part of their name, it will be named instead "Commitment to Excellence."
Methinks hooking up with a 5-11 team doesn't really display a commitment to excellence. :mrgreen:

Hiflyer
2009-06-06, 01:04 AM
Gidday All,

Air Asia X A340-313X 9M-XAC seen here departing Singapore Changi Airport yesterday 5/06.
Formerly Air Canada C-GDVZ c/n 278. Photo: by TsenTsan.

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq189/quokka/AirAsiaXA340-313X9M-XAC.jpg

Regards Hiflyer

lijk604
2009-06-06, 08:17 AM
.....bleah...

Delta777LR
2009-06-06, 10:54 AM

W T F

That's the ugliest plane I've ever seen.....

I agree, this color those not excited me one bit. Probably a good catch but the colors are boring

hiss srq
2009-06-06, 10:44 PM
It looks like a flying coke bottle complete with NFL advertisement.

Matt Molnar
2009-06-07, 01:19 AM
Well the finished paint is a major improvement over the earlier shot, but it's still really strange.

Hiflyer
2009-06-16, 10:03 PM
Gidday All,

Looks as though reading thru today's (June 16th) press release on Air Asia X s intent to purchase 10 Airbus A350 XWB aircraft, that the USA is firmly apart of the carriers long term plans to fly to the USA.

Read the full story here:

June 16, 2009 22:30 PM

Airasia Announces Purchase Of 10 A350 Aircraft By Airasia X

KUALA LUMPUR, June 16 (Bernama) -- AirAsia, the world's leading budget airline, tuesday announced a firm order for 10 Airbus A350 XWB aircraft by its low-cost long-haul affiliate AirAsia X.

The purchase is set to seal the group' vision to be the world's first long-haul and short-haul low-cost airline, AirAsia said in a statement from Paris.

AirAsia X has selected the A350-900 variant for its fleet, which will be configured to seat 425 guests in a two-class layout.

The announcement was made by AirAsia and Airbus at the Paris Air Show.

"Business is all about timing and long-term strategy. At AirAsia we have always planned for the long term," said AirAsia group chief executive officer Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes.

He said by buying the Airbus A350, AirAsia and AirAsia X have now got its strategy fixed all the way to 2020.

"The vision of creating the world's first long-haul and short-haul low-cost airline is complete and we are all very excited," he said.

Valued at a list price of US$2.2 billion, the deal comes with an option of another five A350 aircraft.

Deliveries are scheduled between 2016 and 2018, which will further complement AirAsia X's fleet of A330.

The airline has ordered 25 A330s that are due to be delivered through 2015, of which two aircraft have been delivered so far since October 2008.

AirAsia, on the other hand, is the largest customer of Airbus A320 aircraft with a firm order of 175 aircraft and the option for another 50 signed in 2005.

Sixty A320s have been delivered so far and the remaining will be delivered through to 2014.

The purchase indicates AirAsia X's ambition to fly further afield and to serve more destinations than it currently serves that include London in the United Kingdom, Melbourne, Perth and Gold Coast in Australia, and Tianjin and Hangzhou in China.

"Under the current great uncertainties in global economy where legacy airlines are cutting routes and grounding staff and aircraft, AirAsia and AirAsia X are determined to fulfil and realise our potentials," said Fernandes, who is also director and founder of AirAsia X.

"The economic downturn presents AirAsia as Asia's largest low-cost carrier, an unprecedented opportunity to gain market share with our low-fare, high-quality business model," he said.

"We selected the A350 XWB for the step-change it offers in terms of operating economics and its exceptional passenger appeal," said AirAsia X chief executive officer Azran Osman-Rani.

"We believe the A350 aircraft will be an industry game-changer that will allow us to dramatically operate with unprecedented unit costs for long-haul flights to Europe and North America, opening up new tourism markets and exciting destinations," he said.

"With the A350 XWB in our fleet we will be able to set new standards in the low-cost long haul market, making it possible for more people to fly further in comfort at ever more affordable prices," he added.

http://bernama.com/bernama/v5/news_lite.php?id=418479

Cheers & Regards
Hiflyer / Down Under

Hiflyer
2009-06-16, 10:16 PM
http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq189/quokka/AIRASIAXA350-900.jpg

Cheers Hiflyer