PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to New York, Swine Flu

Matt Molnar
2009-04-25, 08:02 PM
8 kids at St Francis Prep have it.

A BA flight crew just arrived in London from MEX may have it.

And President Obama may have it.

Bloomberg:

The outbreak coincided with the President Barack Obama’s trip to Mexico City on April 16. Obama was received at Mexico’s anthropology museum in Mexico City by Felipe Solis, a distinguished archeologist who died the following day from symptoms similar to flu, Reforma newspaper reported. The newspaper didn’t confirm if Solis had swine flu or not.
Given the number of flights between NY and Mexico I'm guessing there's a fair number of other people here walking around with it. Awesome.

moose135
2009-04-25, 10:18 PM
Oink, Oink...

Matt Molnar
2009-04-26, 12:49 AM
:shock: QUICK, QUARANTINE MOOSE!

Idlewild
2009-04-26, 03:25 AM
We really do need to stop all transportation and passage between Mexico and the States. I never understood why when there's a case of Mad Cow disease, or the like we'll immediately stop all shipping and practically burn animal and fields alike, but when it comes to SARS, swine-flu, etc, we go on about our business. Political correctness is going to get everyone killed.

cancidas
2009-04-26, 05:20 AM
Political correctness is going to get everyone killed.
unfortunately, you're right. :?

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-26, 06:28 AM
How life-threatening is this to us around here? I would think, or hope, that this isn't too big of a deal for those who aren't elderly.

I also keep reading about this, and I don't see what the US is actually doing to combat this.

T-Bird76
2009-04-26, 08:18 AM
How life-threatening is this to us around here? I would think, or hope, that this isn't too big of a deal for those who aren't elderly.

I also keep reading about this, and I don't see what the US is actually doing to combat this.

The U.S has ample supply of antibiotic against the swine flu however it was mentioned that this strain is a mutant form of the bacteria, and it wasn't mentioned if this strain is resistant or not. As with other types of flu's the elderly, young, and sickly will be more prone to not recovering as well as a healthy adult.

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-26, 09:06 AM
So if I got it, I'd just be sick for couple weeks?

Idlewild
2009-04-26, 09:18 AM
Supposedly if you're a teenager you're able to fight this thing pretty effectively. What they say is weird is that in parts of Mexico where it's prevalent 20-40 somethings have succumbed to the virus. Usually it's old and/or sick people who keel over. So even though a bunch of high school kids have it they're safe because they're teens. There is no vaccine yet for this strain, from what I understand the CDC still needs more building blocks (?) of the virus to send off to manufacturers for an effective anti-virus just to get a idea of how to make inoculations. So keep washing those hands people....vigorously.

jetblue187
2009-04-26, 09:35 AM
I guess I cant do spotting at JFK Airport for a little while..until this flu situation stabilizes.

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-26, 09:37 AM
I think that immunal strength of Mexicans between 20 and 40 is probably significantly less than that of Americans, so that part doesn't worry me.

I don't think spotting locations are affected.....you don't come into contact with people arriving from Mexico.

Idlewild
2009-04-26, 09:46 AM
I think that immunal strength of Mexicans between 20 and 40 is probably significantly less than that of Americans, so that part doesn't worry me.

I don't think spotting locations are affected.....you don't come into contact with people arriving from Mexico.

Actually, I think it would be the opposite. My guess is the populace in poverty stricken nations die more from parasites and diseases related to sanitation and poor nutrition. If I'm correct, and I'm playing armchair Marcus Welby, MD, a virus is a natural mutation, it mutates to survive and propagate. Remember, SARS and the Influenza outbreak of 1918 killed ricj & poor alike. If there's a doctor or health expert on this board I'd like to know if I have it right or wrong.

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-26, 09:49 AM
What's ricj?

Since we DO have better doctors, cleaner cities and have access to proper nutrition, I would think that we are able to fight this off much better than those in Mexico. I haven't heard of any of the St. Franics Prep high-schoolers dying from this.

Midnight Mike
2009-04-26, 12:16 PM
Swine flu confirmed in NYC high school students

NEW YORK – New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed that students at a city high school were infected with swine flu.

New York officials previously had said they were eight "probable" cases, but tests later confirmed that it was indeed swine flu. Bloomberg stressed that the cases were mild and many are recovering.

The city is awaiting the tests of additional samples to see if more St. Francis Preparatory School students were infected.

About 100 students complained of flu-like symptoms at the school. Some students went to Cancun on a spring break trip two weeks ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_swine_flu_states

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-26, 12:21 PM
Why are high schoolers going to spring break in Mexico anyway?

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-26, 12:46 PM
Nothin like seeing St. Francis Prep on the homepage of fox news: http://www.foxnews.com/

Why can't they just come home from spring break with herpes like everyone else? The kids bring swine flu.

coachrowsey
2009-04-26, 02:48 PM
The Clt local news said we may be next due to the large Mexican population here.

Matt Molnar
2009-04-26, 03:07 PM
The Clt local news said we may be next due to the large Mexican population here.
There are large Mexican populations all over the US. We're all next!

coachrowsey
2009-04-26, 03:49 PM
There are large Mexican populations all over the US. We're all next!

Isn't that the truth.

Gerard
2009-04-26, 04:58 PM
I guess I cant do spotting at JFK Airport for a little while..until this flu situation stabilizes.

Huh? :? :? :?
Just hide when Aeromexico flies past.
:lol:

jetblue187
2009-04-26, 08:36 PM
yea right

Matt Molnar
2009-04-26, 10:39 PM

Huh? :? :? :?
Just hide when Aeromexico flies past.
:lol:
I know you're joking, but you raise a good point. The Mexican carriers are actually the minority in NYC-Mexico service.

MEX
AeroMexico: 3
Mexicana: 2
CO: 2
DL: 2
AA: 2

CUN
JetBlue: 2
AA: 1
Mexicana: 1

MTY
AeroMexico: 1

By my calculations, 11 of the 18 daily direct flights between NY-area airports and MEX, CUN and MTY are operated by US carriers. Then there are hundreds more that connect to NY in places like Houston, Florida and LA.

Anyway, most likely those St Francis Prep kids are not the only folks to catch it and bring it to NY, there's a good chance they're not even be the first.

cancidas
2009-04-26, 11:25 PM
MEX
AeroMexico: 3
Mexicana: 2
DL: 2
AA: 2

CUN
JetBlue: 2
AA: 1
Mexicana: 1

MTY
AeroMexico: 1

By my calculations, 11 of the 18 daily direct flights between NY-area airports and MEX, CUN and MTY are operated by US carriers. Then there are hundreds more that connect to NY in places like Houston, Florida and LA.

Anyway, most likely those St Francis Prep kids are not the only folks to catch it and bring it to NY, there's a good chance they're not even be the first.
the CDC must be having a lot of fun tracking all those folks down...

Matt Molnar
2009-04-26, 11:45 PM
From what they've said so far they are not tracking anyone down. Doesn't even sound like airport customs nor border patrol are doing much differently other than wearing surgical masks, maybe asking some people about possible symptoms, but that doesn't do much. In Japan and some airports in other Asian cities they have thermal scanners at the airports looking out for people arriving with fevers. Here: nothing.

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-27, 12:56 AM
GERALDO IS EMBEDDED AT ST. FRANCIS PREP! You know this is serious now!

A couple guys on my hockey team know people that are sick from Prep actually. I told the team we played tonight (all Long Island guys) that we all are from Queens and have Swine Flu. We won 9-5. :)

cancidas
2009-04-27, 02:39 PM
In Japan and some airports in other Asian cities they have thermal scanners at the airports looking out for people arriving with fevers. Here: nothing.
this has got to be our gov't's idea of population control...

Matt Molnar
2009-04-27, 03:14 PM
this has got to be our gov't's idea of population control...
The universal healthcare plan would be a lot cheaper if there were 20 million less people to cover. :twisted:

Tom_Turner
2009-04-27, 06:30 PM
Not enough jobs; time to thin the herd.... ?? :twisted:

T

Tom_Turner
2009-04-27, 06:36 PM
<<The Senate has yet to confirm a secretary of human services, a surgeon general or a director of CDC. The absence of those officials left Dr. Besser and Ms. Napolitano to brief reporters on the swine flu outbreak.>>

<<A European Union official warned against travel to parts of the U.S. as well as Mexico, but Dr. Besser said that seemed unwarranted.

State Department spokesman Robert A. Wood said the EU commissioner's remarks were his "personal opinion," not an official position, and thus the department had no comment. "We don't want people to panic at this point," Wood said.>>

Should this get serious, Obama is going to have his own Katrina (or much worse) situation on his hands.

Tom

T-Bird76
2009-04-27, 08:41 PM
<<The Senate has yet to confirm a secretary of human services, a surgeon general or a director of CDC. The absence of those officials left Dr. Besser and Ms. Napolitano to brief reporters on the swine flu outbreak.>>

<<A European Union official warned against travel to parts of the U.S. as well as Mexico, but Dr. Besser said that seemed unwarranted.

State Department spokesman Robert A. Wood said the EU commissioner's remarks were his "personal opinion," not an official position, and thus the department had no comment. "We don't want people to panic at this point," Wood said.>>

Should this get serious, Obama is going to have his own Katrina (or much worse) situation on his hands.

Tom

I doubt it will get that bad Tom. Word has it that as many as a million Mexians have it. If you put the numbers into perspective 149 deaths is nothing.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-27, 08:49 PM
California 7 cases
Kansas 2 cases
New York City 28 cases
Ohio 1 case
Texas 2 cases
TOTAL COUNT 40 cases

Call me paranoid or what but I am stockpiling purell,gloves,and mask......The N95 masks are decreasing fast and I do suggest you people buy them from amazon.com, because I am not dying this way.

Also I was talking to someone about it today and they were like "Yeah, I think my daughter has the swine flu......I should probably take her to the doctor" I could see that they dont want to freak the kid out but if they are 100% sure they need to take them to the doctor.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-27, 08:54 PM
From what they've said so far they are not tracking anyone down. Doesn't even sound like airport customs nor border patrol are doing much differently other than wearing surgical masks, maybe asking some people about possible symptoms, but that doesn't do much. In Japan and some airports in other Asian cities they have thermal scanners at the airports looking out for people arriving with fevers. Here: nothing.
No actually customs are picking people out of line today if they appear sick, not much but still something.

JFK and the CDC released a memo today regarding this issues and guide lines incase on an out break in the airport (If someone has that could you scan that most of us will find that interesting)

China is using thermal cameras to see if people have fevers that they qutarentine them if they appear sick, they also do not advise going to parts of the U.S. *cough newyork *cough

T-Bird76
2009-04-28, 09:40 AM
This is a very interesting outbreak. It’s not just one flu virus; it’s a combination of swine fly from the U.S, Eurasia, Mexico, and the avian flu. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but a combination of virus generally doesn't mix like this in nature. Sounds like something hatched in a petri dish. It’s now spread to Asia and the Mideast. The WHO says at this point containment isn't possible. So the question is how bad will it get in the next few weeks?

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-28, 10:16 AM
This is a very interesting outbreak. It’s not just one flu virus; it’s a combination of swine fly from the U.S, Eurasia, Mexico, and the avian flu. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but a combination of virus generally doesn't mix like this in nature. Sounds like something hatched in a petri dish. It’s now spread to Asia and the Mideast. The WHO says at this point containment isn't possible. So the question is how bad will it get in the next few weeks?

You just said in another thread that it won't get that bad. I felt good for a few minutes until I came into this thread. Thanks! :p

T-Bird76
2009-04-28, 11:00 AM
[quote="T-Bird76":35nypeow]This is a very interesting outbreak. It’s not just one flu virus; it’s a combination of swine fly from the U.S, Eurasia, Mexico, and the avian flu. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but a combination of virus generally doesn't mix like this in nature. Sounds like something hatched in a petri dish. It’s now spread to Asia and the Mideast. The WHO says at this point containment isn't possible. So the question is how bad will it get in the next few weeks?

You just said in another thread that it won't get that bad. I felt good for a few minutes until I came into this thread. Thanks! :p[/quote:35nypeow]

That was before this information came out Phil. Its really all going to depend on the next two weeks and how strong this strain remains. Its clear that the strain isn't as strong here in the U.S. You seem worried more then you should be, personally I'm not worried in the least.

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-28, 11:29 AM
I never buy into or care about this stuff, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned and fairly worried.

mirrodie
2009-04-28, 03:21 PM
If everyone took a day off and stayed in their places for 24 hours, pandemic would stop spreading as it lives in secretions. Let the secretions dry up and its end game.

coachrowsey
2009-04-28, 03:34 PM
Maybe stay away from Fox News :lol: :lol:

Mellyrose
2009-04-28, 05:44 PM
Stay away from kids!

http://imgur.com/27K39.jpg

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-28, 06:59 PM
I dont take sides but to me CNN has been hyping it up more than fox (surprisingly)

Anyway here is the daily update from the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/):

California 10 cases
Kansas 2 cases
New York City 45 cases
Ohio 1 case
Texas 6 cases
TOTAL COUNT 64 cases

Gerard
2009-04-28, 07:02 PM
I dont take sides but to me CNN has been hyping it up more than fox (surprisingly)

Uh EVERY NEWS outlet (TV, radio, print) have been hyping this. And its getting a little ridiculous.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-28, 07:07 PM
I havent heard fox say there are a shortage of mask yet(CNN said there is). Anyway your right, thats why the CDC's website is probably the best place to get you info from.
i3YCTnbRgm8

Swine flu?! Im too fast for that to catch me! :borat:

EDIT- Here is a link that shows you where the locations of the flu were found - http://tinyurl.com/cywddc

emshighway
2009-04-28, 07:33 PM
I don't take sides but to me CNN has been hyping it up more than fox (surprisingly)

California 10 cases
Kansas 2 cases
New York City 45 cases
Ohio 1 case
Texas 6 cases
TOTAL COUNT 64 cases

How many of these cases actually needed hospitalization? Not many at all and I would say anyone who was had a pre-existing condition that was exacerbated by the influenza. How many people this year had the flu? A hell of a lot more. Look at the areas where people died, their sanitary and health facilities are lacking thus a minor influenza will cause deaths.

This whole matter is being blown way out of proportion and is all media hype.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-04-28, 10:38 PM
I live 8 miles from Mexico and haven't heard of anyone around here with the flu... Hopefully things don't change!

emshighway
2009-04-28, 11:19 PM
I don't take sides but to me CNN has been hyping it up more than fox (surprisingly)

California 10 cases
Kansas 2 cases
New York City 45 cases
Ohio 1 case
Texas 6 cases
TOTAL COUNT 64 cases

How many of these cases actually needed hospitalization? Not many at all and I would say anyone who was had a pre-existing condition that was exacerbated by the influenza. How many people this year had the flu? A hell of a lot more. Look at the areas where people died, their sanitary and health facilities are lacking thus a minor influenza will cause deaths.

This whole matter is being blown way out of proportion and is all media hype.

I'll answer my own question. According to the AP only 5 people in the US have been hospitalized. I would put money down that they have other health issues which caused their admissions beside just swine flu.

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-29, 09:37 AM
The first US death has been reported. A child in Texas has died.

T-Bird76
2009-04-29, 10:00 AM
The first US death has been reported. A child in Texas has died.

The child who died was not a U.S Citizen but a Mexican National whose family sought medical care in Texas after the toddler became ill. No U.S citizens have died as a result of this flu.

PhilDernerJr
2009-04-29, 10:19 AM
Good call, Tommy. My news source didn't mention that tidbit.

Matt Molnar
2009-04-29, 10:46 AM
Well this is pretty important!

World Health Organisation says actual death toll is SEVEN (7), not 150.

A member of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has dismissed claims that more than 150 people have died from swine flu, saying it has officially recorded only seven deaths around the world.

Vivienne Allan, from WHO's patient safety program, said the body had confirmed that worldwide there had been just seven deaths - all in Mexico - and 79 confirmed cases of the disease.

T-Bird76
2009-04-29, 10:57 AM
Well this is pretty important!

World Health Organisation says actual death toll is SEVEN (7), not 150.

A member of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has dismissed claims that more than 150 people have died from swine flu, saying it has officially recorded only seven deaths around the world.

Vivienne Allan, from WHO's patient safety program, said the body had confirmed that worldwide there had been just seven deaths - all in Mexico - and 79 confirmed cases of the disease.

That is interesting...seems totally contradictory to what the CDC is saying. Maybe they should get together on this.

Gerard
2009-04-29, 06:27 PM
[quote="Phil D.":n9u5yvqr]The first US death has been reported. A child in Texas has died.

The child who died was not a U.S Citizen but a Mexican National whose family sought medical care in Texas after the toddler became ill. No U.S citizens have died as a result of this flu.[/quote:n9u5yvqr]

I also believe the child had underlying health issues to begin with.
I'm sorry but 40,000 people DIE every year from regular flu so why are we panicking on this one?
Of course if I turn out to be like Will Smiths character from "I Am Legend" then I take it all back.
:)

emshighway
2009-04-29, 08:21 PM
The CDC is taking the numbers as reported by Mexican Officials while the WHO did the review. Many of the deaths had pre-existing conditions which may have been exacerbated by the swine flu but their deaths were not directly from swine flu (if they contracted another form of influenza the outcome could have been the same)

T-Bird76
2009-04-29, 08:27 PM
The CDC is taking the numbers as reported by Mexican Officials while the WHO did the review. Many of the deaths had pre-existing conditions which may have been exacerbated by the swine flu but their deaths were not directly from swine flu (if they contracted another form of influenza the outcome could have been the same)

Well the thing is you don't generally die of the disease but from complications of the disease. It's like cancer...most people don't die of the cancer, they die of the complications the cancer causes.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-29, 08:44 PM
This is so over-hyped its disgusting, now we dont even know what is right or wrong.....its sad.... I guess since the avian flu didnt catch peoples attention the Swine flu is.....

Anyway here is our daily round up from the CDC:
States
# of laboratory confirmed cases
Deaths
Arizona 1
California 14
Indiana 1
Kansas 2
Massachusetts 2
Michigan 2
Nevada 1
New York 51
Ohio 1
Texas 16 1

TOTAL COUNTS 91 cases 1 death

T-Bird76
2009-04-29, 10:12 PM
The W.H.O has just raised the Pandemic threat level to 5 "Wide spread human infection."

Matt Molnar
2009-04-30, 01:41 PM
Just came across this... JFK Customs workers are not being allowed to wear masks, even when processing flights from Mexico. Their union is understandably upset... it not only puts their employees at risk, but exacerbates the number of people who might be exposed, i.e. if a customs worker gets sick, he can expose his friends, family, co-workers, etc. Here's their website: http://www.nteu153.org/

coachrowsey
2009-04-30, 03:53 PM
IMO it should be the choice of Customs & other workers as to masks or not. Also I agree with the other poster who said this is way over hyped. I'm more afraid of getting in my car & driving from point A to B than anything else.

Matt Molnar
2009-04-30, 03:57 PM
Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild
Genetic data indicate this outbreak won't be as deadly as that of 1918, or even the average winter.

As the World Health Organization raised its infectious disease alert level Wednesday and health officials confirmed the first death linked to swine flu inside U.S. borders, scientists studying the virus are coming to the consensus that this hybrid strain of influenza -- at least in its current form -- isn't shaping up to be as fatal as the strains that caused some previous pandemics.

In fact, the current outbreak of the H1N1 virus, which emerged in San Diego and southern Mexico late last month, may not even do as much damage as the run-of-the-mill flu outbreaks that occur each winter without much fanfare.
http://www.latimes.com/features/health/ ... 6923.story (http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-swine-reality30-2009apr30,0,3606923.story)

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-30, 04:12 PM
I dont get the reason why customs workers cant wear mask?

Daily round up:
Arizona 1
California 14
Indiana 1
Kansas 2
Massachusetts 2
Michigan 1
Nevada 1
New York 50
Ohio 1
South Carolina 10
Texas 26 1
TOTAL COUNTS 109 cases 1 death.

Notice how they took "City" away from New York.

moose135
2009-04-30, 04:21 PM
Notice how they took "City" away from New York.
That's because there have been at least 6 Long Island cases confirmed.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-30, 05:33 PM
Wow, I didnt hear about that....

moose135
2009-04-30, 05:55 PM
Wow, I didnt hear about that....
http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-l ... 6139.story (http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-liflu0112715968apr30,0,6996139.story)

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-30, 08:43 PM
ugh.....

I had a sore throat today and now it is worse I am as sick as a dog....I have been around people with colds so hopefully its that...I am gonna stay home and go to the doctor ASAP.

MarkLawrence
2009-04-30, 10:47 PM
I came back from NY...and..ended up in the doctor's today - including a swab for the the swine flu! Just a precaution....but..

moose135
2009-04-30, 11:09 PM
Just heard an interesting item on the news about precautions to take - apparently most masks won't help, as the virus is too small to be filtered out by most face masks people might use.

jetblue187
2009-04-30, 11:22 PM
wow..thats crazy.

Matt Molnar
2009-05-01, 12:16 AM
Just heard an interesting item on the news about precautions to take - apparently most masks won't help, as the virus is too small to be filtered out by most face masks people might use.
Washing your hands is much more important than covering your face.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-01, 08:32 AM
Yeah, you have to get N95 mask those the the most effective, a heard a long island mask factory is going on overload.....I am gonna ask b my doctor for a test I rather be safe than sorry.

Midnight Mike
2009-05-01, 08:48 AM
I also believe the child had underlying health issues to begin with.
I'm sorry but 40,000 people DIE every year from regular flu so why are we panicking on this one?
Of course if I turn out to be like Will Smiths character from "I Am Legend" then I take it all back.
:)

The concern about this strain of the Flu was the speed as to how fast it spread, & the Swine Flu is a combination of different flu, that is what the concern is al about....

jetblue187
2009-05-01, 02:30 PM
where are they selling the "most effective" masks? Rumors has it they would close all of the schools in NYC if the situation continues.

T-Bird76
2009-05-01, 02:44 PM
Just an FYI most masks that will protect you from this flu are now totally sold out and are backordered, btw the masks they sell at Home Depot will not help you. 3M is the largest manufacturer of N95 masks and does not have an ETA when they will be restocked.

As an fyi I work for a large Health Care company and we are recommending the best precaution is to ensure you wash your hands often, cover your mouth when you cough and if you get sick see your doctor right away.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-01, 03:37 PM
where are they selling the "most effective" masks? Rumors has it they would close all of the schools in NYC if the situation continues.

I read a notice from the health dept, and under extreme conditions they will close the schools.

Also they jacked up the prices for mask a lot!

here are some links for them.....get em while you can!

http://www.google.com/products?client=s ... 6&ct=title (http://www.google.com/products?client=safari&rls=en&q=N95+mask&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=NE_7SaiLGYSeM4jJsM0E&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=6&ct=title)

Matt Molnar
2009-05-01, 04:02 PM
A United MUC-IAD flight has diverted to Boston after a woman complained of feeling sick. She was removed via a cargo terminal rather than the passenger terminal. :roll:

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-01, 04:50 PM
A United MUC-IAD flight has diverted to Boston after a woman complained of feeling sick. She was removed via a cargo terminal rather than the passenger terminal. :roll:
oh god, what an annoyance....

Round up for the first of May
Arizona 4
California 13
Colorado 2
Delaware 4
Illinois 3
Indiana 3
Kansas 2
Kentucky 1
Massachusetts 2
Michigan 2
Minnesota 1
Nebraska 1
Nevada 1
New Jersey 5
New York 50
Ohio 1
South Carolina

Texas 28
Virginia 2

TOTAL COUNTS 141 cases 1 death

Gerard
2009-05-01, 06:19 PM
Yawn, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!
:D

emshighway
2009-05-01, 06:41 PM

The pores in the N95 mask are .3 microns wide. The H1N1 virus is .1 to .2 microns small but the virus usually attaches itself to something (sputum) which is larger than .3 microns so it doesn't get through.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-02, 11:04 AM

The pores in the N95 mask are .3 microns wide. The H1N1 virus is .1 to .2 microns small but the virus usually attaches itself to something (sputum) which is larger than .3 microns so it doesn't get through.
Thats good to know
Arizona 4
California 13
Colorado 2
Delaware 4
Illinois 3
Indiana 3
Kansas 2
Kentucky* 1
Massachusetts 2
Michigan 2
Minnesota 1
Nebraska 1
Nevada 1
New Jersey 5
New York 50
Ohio 1
South Carolina

Texas
Virginia

TOTAL (19) 141 cases 1 death
International Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
See: World Health Organization

*Case is resident of KY but currently hospitalized in GA.

PhilDernerJr
2009-05-02, 12:35 PM
Swollen tonsils, diarrhea, upset stomach, congestion, headache.

Am I dying?

emshighway
2009-05-02, 01:43 PM

Am I dying?

You have very little time, you must give away all your possessions. I'll be right over.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-02, 03:00 PM

Am I dying?
Who are you gonna hand the site over to?

wunaladreamin
2009-05-03, 09:09 AM

Am I dying?
No, just get yourself some Pepto Bismol. :borat:

Never waste a good crisis: Obama will use the swine flu epidemic to put a mask on Joe Biden.

cancidas
2009-05-03, 09:26 AM
Obama will use the swine flu epidemic to put a mask on Joe Biden.
where is Mr. Biden? it seems like we haven't heard from him since before the election...

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-03, 11:08 AM
Obama will use the swine flu epidemic to put a mask on Joe Biden.
where is Mr. Biden? it seems like we haven't heard from him since before the election...
You didnt hear what he said on the today show?

U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection
(As of May 2, 2009, 11:00 AM ET)
States # of
laboratory
confirmed
cases Deaths

Arizona 4
California 24
Colorado 2
Connecticut 1
Delaware 4
Florida 2
Illinois 3
Indiana 3
Kansas 2
Kentucky* 1
Massachusetts 6
Michigan 2
Minnesota 1
Missouri 1
Nevada 1
New Jersey 7
New York 51
Ohio 1
South Carolina

Texas
Virginia

TOTAL (21) 160 cases 1 death

PhilDernerJr
2009-05-04, 11:01 AM
[quote="Phil D.":2xz5gq4v]Swollen tonsils, diarrhea, upset stomach, congestion, headache.

Am I dying?
Who are you gonna hand the site over to?[/quote:2xz5gq4v]

If anything were to ever happen to me, the site becomes GothamSpotter's.

I had a strange cold the past couple of days, but I'm fine now. For a moment I was concerned because of the aches along with it, but of course and thankfully it turned out to be nothing, even though Mel was sick too with the same thing. We rested and caught up on movies.

moose135
2009-05-04, 11:06 AM
Thank God! At least there will be an upgrade in management! :D :D :D

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-04, 04:28 PM
[quote="Fighting_falcon_51":3iyclpks][quote="Phil D.":3iyclpks]Swollen tonsils, diarrhea, upset stomach, congestion, headache.

Am I dying?
Who are you gonna hand the site over to?[/quote:3iyclpks]

I had a strange cold the past couple of days, but I'm fine now. For a moment I was concerned because of the aches along with it, but of course and thankfully it turned out to be nothing, even though Mel was sick too with the same thing. We rested and caught up on movies.[/quote:3iyclpks]
I know it was also a very convent time for me to get a cold.
(As of May 4, 2009, 11:00 AM ET)
States # of
laboratory
confirmed
cases Deaths
Alabama 4
Arizona 17
California 30
Colorado 7
Connecticut 2
Delaware 20
Florida 5
Idaho 1
Illinois 8
Indiana 3
Iowa 1
Kansas 2
Kentucky* 1
Louisiana 14
Maryland 4
Massachusetts 6
Michigan 2
Minnesota 1
Missouri 1
Nebraska 1
Nevada 1
New Hampshire 1
New Jersey 7
New Mexico 1
New York 73
North Carolina 1
Ohio 3
Oregon 3
Pennsylvania 1
Rhode Island 1
South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Utah 1
Virginia

Wisconsin

TOTAL (36) 286 cases 1 death

My n95 mask are coming Thursday.

emshighway
2009-05-04, 06:13 PM
I know it was also a very convent time for me to get a cold.
(As of May 4, 2009, 11:00 AM ET)
States # of
laboratory
confirmed
cases Deaths
Alabama 4
Arizona 17
California 30
Colorado 7
Connecticut 2
Delaware 20
Florida 5
Idaho 1
Illinois 8
Indiana 3
Iowa 1
Kansas 2
Kentucky* 1
Louisiana 14
Maryland 4
Massachusetts 6
Michigan 2
Minnesota 1
Missouri 1
Nebraska 1
Nevada 1
New Hampshire 1
New Jersey 7
New Mexico 1
New York 73
North Carolina 1
Ohio 3
Oregon 3
Pennsylvania 1
Rhode Island 1
South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Utah 1
Virginia

Wisconsin

TOTAL (36) 286 cases 1 death

NY is #1!!! You are better off with a P100 mask.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-04, 07:30 PM
We are #1 for too many things, I got the N95 mask but its good to know about the P100 mask because the general public is not going crazy/not aware of them therefore they are not selling as fast.

Matt Molnar
2009-05-04, 11:51 PM
Just in time for...the flu to be completely gone. :)

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-05, 04:51 PM
What do you mean? (I didnt watch the news today)

Alabama 4
Arizona 17
California 49
Colorado 6
Connecticut 2
Delaware 20
Florida 5
Georgia 1
Idaho 1
Illinois 82
Indiana 3
Iowa 1
Kansas 2
Kentucky* 1
Louisiana 7
Maine 1
Maryland 4
Massachusetts 6
Michigan 2
Minnesota 1
Missouri 1
Nebraska 1
Nevada 1
New Hampshire 1
New Jersey 6
New Mexico 1
New York 90
North Carolina 1
Ohio 3
Oregon 15
Pennsylvania 1
Rhode Island 1
South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Utah 1
Virginia

Wisconsin

TOTAL (38) 403 cases 1 death

T-Bird76
2009-05-05, 05:09 PM
[quote="Fighting_falcon_51":2fz1n395]My n95 mask are coming Thursday.
What do you mean? (I didnt watch the news today)

Alabama 4
Arizona 17
California 49
Colorado 6
Connecticut 2
Delaware 20
Florida 5
Georgia 1
Idaho 1
Illinois 82
Indiana 3
Iowa 1
Kansas 2
Kentucky* 1
Louisiana 7
Maine 1
Maryland 4
Massachusetts 6
Michigan 2
Minnesota 1
Missouri 1
Nebraska 1
Nevada 1
New Hampshire 1
New Jersey 6
New Mexico 1
New York 90
North Carolina 1
Ohio 3
Oregon 15
Pennsylvania 1
Rhode Island 1
South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Utah 1
Virginia

Wisconsin

TOTAL (38) 403 cases 1 death[/quote:2fz1n395]

Can you please stop including these stats in every post you make?

The reason why the pubic isn't buying them is because You don't need it!

PhilDernerJr
2009-05-05, 05:16 PM
First US resident died today, but she apparently had other complications.

Gerard
2009-05-05, 06:34 PM
OOOPs, CDC says you really dont need to close schools. This flu isnt any worse than the regular flu we have every year. Schools are starting to reopen tomorrow.
So sorry!!!
Chicken Little lives!!!

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-05, 08:21 PM
Closing the schools was unnecessary.

PhilDernerJr
2009-05-05, 08:34 PM
Closing the schools was unnecessary.

Considering the potential threat this could have posed, I think it was the right decision.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-05, 08:53 PM
[quote="Fighting_falcon_51":3bfcvtzw]Closing the schools was unnecessary.

Considering the potential threat this could have posed, I think it was the right decision.[/quote:3bfcvtzw]
If they just contained the sick people and cleaned the school it probably wouldnt have gotten worse.

PhilDernerJr
2009-05-05, 09:35 PM
But people who have it sometimes don't know they are sick for a few days (as many as 4 days), so they wanted to keep people away for a bit.

I understand that these schoosl were going to open regardless of the CDC's findings today.

emshighway
2009-05-05, 09:37 PM
[quote="Phil D.":1k7z4l23][quote="Fighting_falcon_51":1k7z4l23]Closing the schools was unnecessary.

Considering the potential threat this could have posed, I think it was the right decision.[/quote:1k7z4l23]
If they just contained the sick people and cleaned the school it probably wouldnt have gotten worse.[/quote:1k7z4l23]

Probably the first good cleaning the schools have had anyway.

Matt Molnar
2009-05-05, 10:01 PM
The reason why the pubic isn't buying them is because You don't need it!
Hah, you said "pubic."

Gerard
2009-05-05, 10:18 PM
>Can you please stop including these stats in every post you make?<

LOL I guess I'm not the only one annoyed by the stats.

T-Bird76
2009-05-08, 08:47 AM
So I walk into the office today to see a bunch of people wearing masks..of course my sarcastic personality rolls my eyes and in my head I'm like "what asses." I open my email and the first email that pops up.....three confirmed cases of H1N1 have infected some people I work with. I'm still not going to wear a mask though.

Matt Molnar
2009-05-08, 10:37 AM
Slather your entire person with hand sanitizer and you'll be fine. You'll also be very flammable.

T-Bird76
2009-05-08, 10:51 AM
Slather your entire person with hand sanitizer and you'll be fine. You'll also be very flammable.

This place is a scene out of The Office right now....all you hear is people spraying Lysol, walking around in masks and wiping down everything within reach. You know the funny thing about the boobs wearing masks...they take them off to drink and eat...the stupidity amazes me.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-05-09, 01:39 AM
It's not even that strong of a flu... I live 8 miles from Mexico, and while we have had some confirmed cases on this side of the border, they seem to be all under control... People are freaking out way more than they need to - guess it gives the media something to talk about.