PDA

View Full Version : Nassau PD Helo Mutual Aid To Suffolk

Gerard
2009-04-25, 07:46 PM
For whatever reason Suffolk Countys four police helicopters were unavailable and Nassau County Helicopter 5 provided mutual
aid for them. I actually heard them passing to the SE of me about 6:40. They were enroute to a missing search in the 3rd
Pct. About 15 minutes later they headed out to Baiting Hollow for a jet ski job. Found them, only disabled. Then over to
Wildwood State Park for another jet ski job and finally advises Suffolk Command freq. at 7:30, barring any more assignments,
they were heading "back to the West". They landed at Bethpage at 7:55.
Wonder what was up with SC Aviation. On other assignments or maybe some ships down for maintenance? I know I heard
Suffolk 1 this afternoon working SE of FRG.
Whatever, the PD aviation units in this area have always had a great spirit of cooperation amongst them over the many years
they've been in service.

lijk604
2009-04-25, 10:36 PM
SCPD had a few mechanical issues this afternoon, hence the NCPD helping them out. They hopefully should be back in business tomorrow.

Gerard
2009-04-26, 08:56 AM
SCPD had a few mechanical issues this afternoon, hence the NCPD helping them out. They hopefully should be back in business tomorrow.

Actually heard Suffolk 4 around 9:45 Sat eve.
Thanks.

T-Bird76
2009-04-26, 08:23 PM
SCPD birds rely on parts from Italy so if they go down they can be down for awhile.

Gerard
2009-04-26, 09:24 PM
SCPD birds rely on parts from Italy so if they go down they can be down for awhile.\

Actually the two Astars (#1 and #4) and the EC-145 (#3) are American Eurocopter ships (French/German) and the
MD900 (#2) is a MD Helicopters ship. I know in the past SCPD had a HUGE problem when they first received two
MD900s. Support from MD Helicopters was almost non-existant forcing the grounding of one, sometimes both copters
for long periods of time. Suffolk County govt went very public with their complaints about MD and possibly sued them.
Maybe you are thinking about the NYPD Agustas? And they have a plant in Philadelphia though parts could come in
from Italy.

cancidas
2009-04-26, 11:17 PM
I know in the past SCPD had a HUGE problem when they first received two MD900s. Support from MD Helicopters was almost non-existant forcing the grounding of one, sometimes both copters for long periods of time.
they're not the only ones. CALSTAR recieved two new MD900 NOTARs and they literally sat grounded for the first few months because of fuel leaks. this was right after delivery from the factory, which at the time did all of the installation of medical equipment. MD helicopters was very, very un-helpful in the customer svc dept.

Gerard
2009-04-27, 06:50 PM
I know in the past SCPD had a HUGE problem when they first received two MD900s. Support from MD Helicopters was almost non-existant forcing the grounding of one, sometimes both copters for long periods of time.
they're not the only ones. CALSTAR recieved two new MD900 NOTARs and they literally sat grounded for the first few months because of fuel leaks. this was right after delivery from the factory, which at the time did all of the installation of medical equipment. MD helicopters was very, very un-helpful in the customer svc dept.

Yup. I heard that one of the SC ships became a hangar queen and the mechs were pulling parts from that ship to fly the other one.
MD has since reorganized and has gotten better.