PDA

View Full Version : Best Airport to Visit?

sporky
2009-04-13, 10:09 PM
Hey ya'll,

I have been getting the urge to travel sometime in May/June and with airfares fairly reasonable I thought I should take advantage. The only problem is that I have no idea where to go, though of course warm climates are better for my disposition.

So, that leaves the question I want to ask of everyone here...what is your favorite airport (or airports if in close proximity) to spot at?

I have been thinking of the big 3 in NY or SoCal, but I have done those in the past, so new would be cool. Or another idea I have been spinning around in my head is hitting storage facilites in CA/AZ/NM/NV/TX, maybe making an extended car trip.

Thoughts would be great!

-Tad

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2009-04-14, 09:29 AM
Go to Florida! Alaska offers nonstops to MCO! Disney World!

JZ1
2009-04-14, 10:37 AM
Domestically, if you have tried LAX, JFK and EWR, and you want somewhere warm, I can recommend MIA.

Internationally, my first choice will be LHR.

crj200dispatcher
2009-04-14, 05:46 PM
Try IAH and HOU, IAH welcomes spotters and has great spotting facilities, and HOU has the 1940 AIr Museum, with open air observation deck.

Check out Houstonspotters.net, they are a great group of guys

cancidas
2009-04-14, 11:15 PM
if i were you i'd make the trip to SoCal and explore a little of the boneyards of the southwest. you've got quite a few chouces:

KGYR - Goodyear (Pheonix), AZ
KDMA - (Davis Monthan AFB) Tuscon, AZ
KAVQ - (Marana) Tuscon, AZ
KIGM - Kingman, AZ
KVCV - (Southern California Logistics) Victorville, CA
KMHV - Mohave, CA
KROW - Roswell, NM

a lot of old "relics" get stored here, and it's soemthing you'll only really see in this area. if you're up to it you could spend some time at LAX, then rent a car and drive to PHX. from there you've got lots of options just in AZ, and could hit up MHV and VCV along the way. it'll definately make for a very unique trip!

jerslice
2009-04-15, 12:54 AM
To me it depends on what you're looking for.

LAX, JFK, MIA are the big ones that stick out for traffic variety and frequency. SFO is also pretty good (and I love the city too), you could do a PDX/SEA/BFI/PAE/RNT/CYVR trip, I highly recommend the SoCal/AZ trip, you could do something real out of the ordinary and go STL/MDW/ORD/MKE/MSP....

MarkLawrence
2009-04-15, 06:25 AM
I'd add on that if you did MIA, you can also take the 20 mile north drive for a some time at FLL - lots of Spirit and Southwest that you wouldn't always get at MIA, but definately MIA for all international and cargo traffic.

T-Bird76
2009-04-15, 09:50 PM
In June I'd go to LAX, you can spot at the hill still.....from about 8 to 10 am then do In N Out park from 4 pm on to sunset. The light is prime at In N Out in June, although you can get some nasty marine layer but if not its some of the best light all year long.

coachrowsey
2009-04-16, 12:06 AM
I'd add on that if you did MIA, you can also take the 20 mile north drive for a some time at FLL - lots of Spirit and Southwest that you wouldn't always get at MIA, but definately MIA for all international and cargo traffic.

Having worked at MIA I can second this one.

sporky
2009-04-16, 04:18 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input.

MIA is one place I definitely want to visit and with FLL nearby that is a plus. Although a road trip through the Southwest/SoCal would be awesome. I grew up in that area and would love to go back, but might delay the overall trip if that is the option to fit in the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in Oct.

What it is going to come down to is how much time I can get off work and approximate cost for the trip. Now to start the investigation. Shooting for sometime in June/early July (or Oct for the Balloons).

Thanks again!

-Tad