PDA

View Full Version : WTB Ad; 35mm Slide Film and/or Processing Mailers

mmedford
2009-04-11, 04:10 PM
Already cleared with Phil...thanks again..

Well I felt spoiled with my dSLR, and I wanted to try film. I shot with print stuff and well i like the results, also love the freedom of shooting & concentrating on the next shot, instead of looking at the images I took already.

Art says real photographers use Slide, so before I browse ebay trying to score a deal. Figured why not reach out locally & see if anyone has anything they are willing to sell.

Thanks for the support & replies.

Mark

Jetinder
2009-04-11, 08:13 PM
I'm glad you like film :D, welcome to old school :)

Although I have an EOS 3 film SLR, my cell phone does have a 2 mega pixel camera which is ok for taking snaps of every day things i don't want to waste film on.

But if i want to take "real" photos i get the EOS 3 out.

Here are some of my photos
:-
http://concorde35mm.110mb.com/page41.html

http://concorde35mm.110mb.com/page7.html

With digital and film it depends on the photographers style.

I treat my cell phone the same as i treat the EOS 3 and concentrate on taking photos, then when i've had enough i look at the photos on the cell phone or wait 5 days for my film to be processed to see the photos.

With film i feel its a lot more exciting, as you don't quite know what the photo will look like until the film is processed.

It also teaches you to think more about what your doing and plan a head. if you get the settings right you'll get a great photo, that in my book makes you a better photographer.

Where as on DSLR you take the photo and instantly see the result. If you don't like it you take it again until a better photo is taken so you don't think or plan that much as to how the photo will be taken.

When you get photos from film you can still scan them in to your PC and edit them as you would with digital slr images.

Out of film and slide, i like film (as i like to hold photos in my hand), slides are to delicate for me but in photos taken on slide film is less grainy and higher qaulity than on film.

Its all down to personal taste and style.

mmedford
2009-04-11, 08:41 PM
Well I bought a film Nikon camera to use the same equipment that I use with my D50...so besides the $100 for the body, no real cost...

Just trying to see if I can scoop up some slide film on the cheap...

Nevermind though on the mailers though...found out I can do it through walmart cheaper :).

Thanks again

Jetinder
2009-04-12, 04:48 AM
Well I bought a film Nikon camera to use the same equipment that I use with my D50...so besides the $100 for the body, no real cost...

With the EOS 3 its the same thing.

I can use my lenses on any Canon film or DSLR, but my lenses won't work properly on them all.

Meaning most DSLRs have smaller sensors which mean your 70mm lens on a film camera will not be 70mm on the DSLR it will be 112mm (as they have smaller sensors which behave like a x 1.6 teleconverter)

The above is the reason why you get special lenses made for DSLRs

Other DSLRs are full frame sensors and these behave the same way as film SLRs.
i.e.
A 70mm lens on a film camera will be 70mm on full frame DSLRs

The full frame DSLRs are normally pro spec one like the Canon EOS 1D or 1DS II etc and these cost an arm and a leg (around £4000 - $5,872.08) just for the camera body

$100 for Nikon film camera is good value for money, from what i remember unlike Canon where you have use to use lenses made for EOS SLRs, with Nikon DSLR you can use lenses from any Nikon ever made (as the lens mount is hasn't changed).

If you use a manual focus lens on a Nikon auto focus SLR, the lens will not auto focus, you will have to manually focus, but the good is in theory you have access to 50 years worth of lenses inc latest DSLR ones.

If you use DSLR lenses on your film camera, the lenses will work but instead of having a 28 mm lens on a DSLR, the same lens on the film SLR will be equal to 17.5mm lens as you do the following maths
:-
Focal length of DSLR lens divided by 1.6 = focul length of same lens on film camera.

jerslice
2009-04-12, 09:01 PM
It also teaches you to think more about what your doing and plan a head

Where as on DSLR you take the photo and instantly see the result. If you don't like it you take it again until a better photo is taken so you don't think or plan that much as to how the photo will be taken.

That's one thing that I don't like about digital photography. I noticed awhile back that I was relying more on the camera's ability to focus than my own, and for the camera to set the correct settings rather than me knowing what they ought to be. Since then, I've tried to limit myself to only a certain number of shots for non-aviation and taking the time to envision the photo that I want to see. And unless it's something rare and unusual, I've really begun trying to do the same for aviation. I've found that consequently I've taken fewer shots the more I go out, and the quality comes out more consistently better than had I gone to town and taken more shots. I would like to go back to film - but it is still fairly expensive for me to do film - especially when I prefer to spending time in the darkroom over having WalMart develop them (though I certainly did a lot of that too).

mmedford
2009-04-12, 09:42 PM
[quote]It also teaches you to think more about what your doing and plan a head

That's one thing that I don't like about digital photography. I noticed awhile back that I was relying more on the camera's ability to focus than my own, and for the camera to set the correct settings rather than me knowing what they ought to be. Since then, I've tried to limit myself to only a certain number of shots for non-aviation and taking the time to envision the photo that I want to see. And unless it's something rare and unusual, I've really begun trying to do the same for aviation. I've found that consequently I've taken fewer shots the more I go out, and the quality comes out more consistently better than had I gone to town and taken more shots. I would like to go back to film - but it is still fairly expensive for me to do film - especially when I prefer to spending time in the darkroom over having WalMart develop them (though I certainly did a lot of that too).[/quote:10rp9odq]

Jerslice, I found out if your interested...

That if you drop off E6 at walmart, Walmart sends it to Fujifilm, where inturn, Fujifilm sends it to dwayne's Photo. Dwayne's then sends it back to the original Walmart store, it works out a few bucks cheaper compared to sending it to Dwayne's directly because of the contracts that exist between Walmart/Fuji/Dwaynes.

jerslice
2009-04-13, 01:18 AM
That if you drop off E6 at walmart, Walmart sends it to Fujifilm, where inturn, Fujifilm sends it to dwayne's Photo

I wonder if that still applies on the West Coast. Do you know?

mmedford
2009-04-13, 02:52 AM
That if you drop off E6 at walmart, Walmart sends it to Fujifilm, where inturn, Fujifilm sends it to dwayne's Photo

I wonder if that still applies on the West Coast. Do you know?

It should; Fuji doesn't do any processing anymore. All done by dwayne's.