PDA

View Full Version : Gates Recommends Ending Key Military Aircraft Projects

Matt Molnar
2009-04-06, 01:52 PM
Defense Secretary Robert Gates today has laid out some recommendations for drastic cost cutting moves at the Pentagon.

Marine One/VH-71 program ($13 billion): Scrapped

Boeing Airborne Laser: Will not be expanded beyond the single test vehicle they have now.

F-22: Orders will not be expanded after current order of 187 aircraft is filled.

More details to come.

cancidas
2009-04-06, 03:34 PM
i've got to agree with scrapping the airborne laser and the current VH-71 proposals. they should also just buy 767 tankers!

Matt Molnar
2009-04-06, 04:16 PM
We'll see if all these things really happen. There couldn't be much worse a time to layoff tens of thousands of people.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-06, 04:44 PM
Defense Secretary Robert Gates today has laid out some recommendations for drastic cost cutting moves at the Pentagon.

Marine One/VH-71 program ($13 billion): Scrapped

Boeing Airborne Laser: Will not be expanded beyond the single test vehicle they have now.

F-22: Orders will not be expanded after current order of 187 aircraft is filled.

More details to come.
Marine One/VH-71 program ($13 billion): Scrapped- Good

Boeing Airborne Laser: Will not be expanded beyond the single test vehicle they have now.- I liked the idea but we can wait

F-22: Orders will not be expanded after current order of 187 aircraft is filled.- OK between that and the F-35's and Silent eagles we should be good.

Matt Molnar
2009-04-06, 05:32 PM
More...
* F-35 program will be expanded from 14 planes to 30

* Cutting the ground component of Boeing's Future Combat System for the Army

* Scrapping a $15 billion replacement program for USAF search and rescue choppers

* Aerial tanker replacement bids will go on as planned this spring. At this point I would imagine Boeing will be the only bidder.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-06, 05:47 PM
More...

* Cutting the ground component of Boeing's Future Combat System for the Army

* Scrapping a $15 billion replacement program for USAF search and rescue choppers

* Aerial tanker replacement bids will go on as planned this spring. At this point I would imagine Boeing will be the only bidder.*
F-35 program will be expanded from 14 planes to 30-Very good

* Cutting the ground component of Boeing's Future Combat System for the Army-eh, no

* Scrapping a $15 billion replacement program for USAF search and rescue choppers- Very bad we need those

* Aerial tanker replacement bids will go on as planned this spring. At this point I would imagine Boeing will be the only bidder.- They should go with the northdrop one.

cancidas
2009-04-06, 07:15 PM
while not as good as straight F-22s, i think i could live with that idea.

maybe we ought to just buy more MH-60s... i like that idea!

* Aerial tanker replacement bids will go on as planned this spring. At this point I would imagine Boeing will be the only bidder.
Boeing ought to be the only bidder. IMO the KC-30 is unecesary.

Alessio
2009-04-07, 02:48 AM
More...

USAF search and rescue choppers, why not the V-22?
Aerial tanker, go for more KC-10s.