PDA

View Full Version : Some ACARS help somebody?

Planesntrains
2009-04-03, 08:24 PM
I finally finished the discriminator tap on my radio, and wanted to try it out tonight. For some reason though, I can't get the program to decode the packets. I can hear them fine, coming in loud and clear, and the program is acknowledging a signal in the signal monitor. However, I can't get any raw data to appear, nor any decoded info.

I tried WACARS and the program I had bought, AirNav ACARS Decoder 2. Nothing on either. I played with the audio levels, tried taking audio straight out of the headphone jack. Nada.

The programs hear the signal, but won't display any data or decode. Anybody help? Bit frustrated and clueless.

wunaladreamin
2009-04-03, 10:30 PM
Is the scanner plugged into the blue line-in jack on your computer?

Planesntrains
2009-04-03, 10:39 PM
Is the scanner plugged into the blue line-in jack on your computer?

Yup. Tried line-in, and even tried mic. No dice, no clue.

wunaladreamin
2009-04-04, 08:05 AM
How high are you turning up the volume on your scanner?

andrew whitmore
2009-04-04, 11:04 AM
hi matt andy here from north east england love to chat my way around with u in these times however your in new york me in england
yes have u tried the free programs and help from jacars the other free one is acarsd and acars client
i use my scanner on 131.725/525 however usa use 131.550 and many more
airnav acars decoder also in use here but all are left in the dark now as i use my sbs basestation 24/7
i have the codes for airnav acars and airnav suite if u are using demo
also the volume not set high squelch turned off
let me know how u get along
if u set up sucessfully we and others can view your logs via online on acarsclient acarsd program from you and your ip address if useing the free jacars program
andy whitmore
[email protected]
[email protected]

Planesntrains
2009-04-05, 03:16 AM
I tried the volume at several levels. I am sure it's something I'm doing or missing. I'd love to get it running so I can run stuff to the net. I'll try again tomorrow and report back.

markg
2009-04-07, 02:52 PM
ACARS is a nightmare to set up sometimes. It's all down to trial and error.

I eventually got mine working using the mic socket and not the line-in, but then one day the program just kept spitting out errors when I tried to run it.

I am going to get it going on my laptop again soon, just need to do something with the layout of my room!

wunaladreamin
2009-04-07, 09:28 PM
You want the volume levels to be in the 25 neighborhood. What does your setup (.ini) file look like?

You know what, just send me a pm if you like and I'll try to help you out.

andrew whitmore
2009-04-16, 05:52 PM
hi planes and trains did you ever get set up with your acars online???

Planesntrains
2009-04-28, 03:50 PM
I've tried, and tried to no avail. It HAS to be my sound card. I can't see what else it could be. ACARS is only 1200baud packet, so I shouldn't even need the discriminator tap. Just no dice.

I'm going to try to run off someone else's computer at some point to confirm that it's my computer. Nothing that I know of on ACARS has been encrypted in terms of commercial aircraft, and the other guys in NJ only seem to be having minimal errors.

We shall see.

-Matt