PDA

View Full Version : JetBlue JFK Ramper Naps in Baggage Hold, Lands in Boston

Matt Molnar
2009-03-30, 05:10 PM
JFK Baggage Handler Falls Asleep, Ends Up In Boston (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Jet-SnoozeJFK-Baggage-Handler-Falls-Asleep-Ends-Up-In-Boston.html)
JetBlue worker winds up in plane's cargo hold

By JONATHAN DIENST

Updated 4:57 PM EDT, Mon, Mar 30, 2009

Instead of 40 winks, a JetBlue baggage handler apparently got 200 miles when he apparently fell asleep amid the luggage in a plane's cargo hold.

Officials told NBCNewYork.com Monday that the worker was in the belly of the plane loading luggage for the flight that left JFK Airport around noon Saturday en route to Boston. That's when the worker apparently fell asleep. He later found himself in Beantown after the flight had landed at Logan International Airport.

A Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman confirmed the agency was notified of the incident but said the matter was referred to local police. A Massachusetts State Police spokesman referred all calls to JetBlue. A company spokesman said, "We are investigating the incident. We do not have further details to share at this time." [Full Article (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Jet-SnoozeJFK-Baggage-Handler-Falls-Asleep-Ends-Up-In-Boston.html)]

T-Bird76
2009-03-30, 05:15 PM
I bet someone is looking for a new job today..

mmedford
2009-03-30, 05:24 PM
you know that's actually pretty funny...

imagine waking up midflight, then freaking out...and then how freaked out the rampers are on the other end...

Still doesn't beat the idiot that shipped himself across the country...

Planesntrains
2009-03-30, 05:55 PM
http://shaneandbecky.com/images/d_oh__bez9.bmp

moose135
2009-03-30, 06:11 PM
I bet someone is looking for a new job today..
I bet he can't non-rev back home!

G-BOAD
2009-03-30, 08:07 PM
very fortunately this incident ended well. It must be a funny feeling waking up after the plane has landed, thinking nothing has changed, and seeing the Logan control tower...this cant be right!
Also, this articul answered my question of what happnes if you open the door when your plane is stranded on the tarmac.
In another incident this weekend at JFK airport, a 60-year-old British citizen waiting for two hours on the tarmac onboard a Las Vegas bound Delta flight was arrested for openi ng the emergency exit door Sunday evening.

The man, Robert McDonald, of Glasgow, Scotland, had been on the plane since it flew in from Rome and apparently wanted out, according to a law enforcement source. Instead he was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment and criminal tampering. He had opened the door but the crew stopped him before the plane's emergency chute was deployed.

LGA777
2009-03-30, 08:23 PM
Going back about 30 years this was a not so rare occurance. A long retired co-worker was a frequent victim of practical jokes at work. Back in the Allegheny days he was loading a DC-9 to BWI and was "accidently" locked in the bin and although passengers and flt att's heard noises down below but did not realize they where human, he made a safe trip to BWI and non-reved back to LGA in time to punch out and go home. As nothing could be proved I don't believe anyone got in trouble, keep in mind this was a completley different era than today. This poor guy had so many pranks played on him, my favorite when he was still working at JFK was having his lunch (which was in one of those thermal lunch container things) tagged with an expedite tag and sent to Moscow on Aeroflot, he got the empty container back about a week later, CLASSIC !

While at Piedmont one ramp agent did loose his job over a ride in a bin. He commuted to work every week from his home in Miami to work at CLT. As a former MIA part timer he had friends on the ramp their. After getting bumped off every flight for two days he rode in the aft bin of a 727-200. The ramp agents who opened the bin said he was curled up with a blanket, a sack of mail for a pillow, and an empty bottle of wine, out cold (from the wine not the flight). To the best of my memory only he was fired, the ramp agents in MIA who worked the flight got a big slap on the wrist.

DHG750R, do you remember this?

Cheers

LGA777

CX777
2009-03-30, 09:02 PM
Guess happens all around the world..
This was at Changi, Singapore
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/RChangela/IMG4759.jpg

Raj

PhilDernerJr
2009-03-30, 09:32 PM
How do you sleep through a flight like that?

DHG750R
2009-03-30, 09:38 PM
Ron,
Funny the very same story came to mind . Glad to see we still think alike
I am sitting here at my desk laughing and my co workers must think im a little nuts right now :lol:

Darrell

mirrodie
2009-03-30, 09:54 PM
THe baggage holds are pressurized? I didnt think such was survivable.

LGA777
2009-03-30, 09:59 PM
THe baggage holds are pressurized? I didnt think such was survivable.

How else would airlines carry live animals ?

Yes most are and many are also heated.

LGA777

mirrodie
2009-03-30, 10:19 PM
True, but then again I was thinking of Africans being frozen up in the landing gear. Wrong compartment.

DIdnt know some were heated. You learn something new everyday. Here's one for you: Did you know your eyelashes re-grow every 2-3 months.

mmedford
2009-03-30, 10:37 PM
True, but then again I was thinking of Africans being frozen up in the landing gear. Wrong compartment.

DIdnt know some were heated. You learn something new everyday. Here's one for you: Did you know your eyelashes re-grow every 2-3 months.

Yes...

Did you know that on the GE90, approximately only 10% of air intake by the engine is used for combustion process? The other 90% goes through the high bypass...

this is fun...

But yes; the cargo bay is pressurized...remember the entire fuse is one giant tube...

USAF Pilot 07
2009-03-30, 11:03 PM
Did you know that on the GE90, approximately only 10% of air intake by the engine is used for combustion process? The other 90% goes through the high bypass...

...which produces the majority of thrust at low altitudes...