PDA

View Full Version : Spotting at EWR - The Marriott?

Planesntrains
2009-03-30, 04:49 AM
Curious as to whether anyone has ever stayed at the Marriott at Newark Airport? View of arrivals/departures any good from the top floor? Company just took away my weeks vacation, and the family is driving me nuts. Thinking about taking a "local vacation" for long weekend. Seems like a good destination. :wink:

SengaB
2009-03-31, 10:31 AM
I had a room there a few years back on one of the top floors. Nice view of 22L but the thick dark glass maybe everything I shot crap.

Senga

Planesntrains
2009-03-31, 12:24 PM
I had a room there a few years back on one of the top floors. Nice view of 22L but the thick dark glass maybe everything I shot crap.

Senga

No worry on the photos. All I need are binoculars. Like with trains, I'm more a numbers/log guy. As long as you can see enough to get registrations, I'm cool. :D

Thanks Senga!

andrew whitmore
2009-03-31, 02:14 PM
MARRIOTT HOTEL

Location ** On the airport perimeter

Spotting *** Excellent views from the selected rooms below. Great views can be had of the full length of runway 04/22 and 11/29. Due to the angle of the hotel it is important that you get the correct rooms. The best reported room is 1050 on the top floor. Other excellent rooms are 832/932 and 1032 although any even ending room no higher than 50 should be ok.

Photos * No actual reports of photo opportunities from this hotel.

Value ** From £68 weekend rates

FURTHER INFORMATION AND ONLINE BOOKINGS CAN BE FOUND HERE

HOLIDAY INN NEWARK AIRPORT

Location ** On the airport perimeter with shuttle bus to the airport.

Spotting ** Ask for a high level room facing the airport and try to get one on the right hand end of the hotel as it would be if you were in the room. A room in this area will give you a distant view of the non Continental piers and also the UPS apron. One of the taxiways is also visible but you need a pair of 20x binoculars to have a lot of success.

Photos * No actual reports of photo opportunities from this hotel.

Value * From £75 weekend rates

This hotel is available through the ALPHAROOMS site

HOWARD JOHNSON NEWARK AIRPORT

Location ** On the airport perimeter with shuttle bus to the airport.

Spotting ** On short finals to runway 22R. Many rooms look out to the approach of runway 22L, if you get one of these rooms you dont miss a thing. When it is quiet the odd arrival creeps in on RW22R which brings them in directly over the top of the hotel.

Photos *** Mid afternoon onwards gives you the chance to take great landing shots on RW22L from the hotel.

Value *** From £45 weekend rates

Prices can be found through the link below

Low price guarantee on over 17000 hotels

A list of other hotels in the Newark area can be found HERE

HELLO when u get more info from the marriot please let me know as i am like u spotting there in may along with jfk hope the above info is useful many thanks andy whitmore north east england uk

Planesntrains
2009-03-31, 06:24 PM
Think I'm gonna go with Plan A, the Marriott EWR. I mean, other than some smaller regionals, helos, and general aviaion, not much uses 11/29 anymore (Bill? Correct?). All the good stuff is either on 4L/22R or 4R/22L. Can't really miss anything on take off or coming in on both. Sounds like a weekend in 1050 it is. Now just gotta watch the wx.

And I will do Andrew! I'll put up a full report here anyway. Local vacation is starting to seem like it will be pretty damn good.

crj200dispatcher
2009-03-31, 09:49 PM
Okay being a Continental fanatic, I have been dying to go spotting in EWR, but there appears to be no place to spot.

Heck I was just going to do a day trip (it pays to be an airline employee at times), and fly there and would walk, but you cant even do that,

So the Howard Johnson sounds perfect for photos

Planesntrains
2009-04-01, 05:27 AM
Okay being a Continental fanatic, I have been dying to go spotting in EWR, but there appears to be no place to spot.

Heck I was just going to do a day trip (it pays to be an airline employee at times), and fly there and would walk, but you cant even do that,

So the Howard Johnson sounds perfect for photos

Probably is best for the photo guys. In terms of view, after taking a drive past last night to refresh my memory, the Marriott will definitely do for the data crowd (especially the COA parade) and my quickie weekend.

If you don't know where it is CRJ, it's literally in the middle of everything. EWR with it's roads, is basically in one big oval. The tower and Marriott are right dead center.

crj200dispatcher
2009-04-01, 05:33 PM
Matt, I was looking at EWR lasst night on "livesearch", and I see what you mean.

I think EWR might be on my list this year

andrew whitmore
2009-04-16, 05:54 PM
hi how was the marriot at newark then

Planesntrains
2009-04-27, 03:34 PM
hi how was the marriot at newark then

I'll let you know after I manage to complete it! Girlfriend still hasn't let me off the leash. :lol: