PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with DRIVERS

mirrodie
2009-03-24, 07:49 PM
So last night, with some help, I reformated my Dell so that our son can now utilize it.

Its running great now, like new, but I can't connect to the internet. The computer asks me if I want to use
MSN to sign in or to look for other providers, but it just says it can't find an internet.

I dont get it. The wireless router works fine. The Mac is working but the Dell, which is hardwired into the router is not seeing hte internet connection.

What am I overlooking?

cancidas
2009-03-24, 07:53 PM
is your ethernet card enabled? usually when i configure a comp for wireless i turn it off, then usually forget to turn it back on when i plug it in.

T-Bird76
2009-03-24, 08:22 PM
Control Panel/System/Devices...look at the Ethernet controller and see if there's a yellow exclamation point on it...if so its probably shot or the software needs to be updated. Also check to see if you have any flashing lights right next to the port the cable is plugged into. Cable might be bad.

eric8669
2009-03-24, 08:30 PM
I think that you need the driver for the Ethernet Card. If it directly connected to the motherboard then you may software that came with the computer. If you don't have these, Go on a computer that does have internet and go to the Dell website and download the appropriate software for that computer. Put it on an external device and load it onto the dell.

emshighway
2009-03-24, 09:01 PM
Is it a laptop or desktop? If desktop re-seat the NIC card if it is a separate card. In the device manager you may want to delete the Ethernet controller and reboot and let it try to re-install. Also check the settings on the router. You may have it locked down to certain computer names and when you wiped it you may have changed it not knowing.

mirrodie
2009-03-24, 09:39 PM
OK, its a desktop, (typing from a wireless mac now)

in hte device manager, the etherner controller is indeed yellow. But its from there that Im stuck.

The cable is fine as I used it a few days ago.

heeshung
2009-03-24, 09:42 PM
What kind of Dell is it? Usually a quick search of their website can locate the exact drivers you need for your NIC.

mirrodie
2009-03-24, 09:45 PM
I have that site up now.

Jsut uninstalled the ethernet controller and ...oh shoot, its restarting??! what the....

mirrodie
2009-03-24, 10:10 PM
Still working on it........

Went ot dell site and downloaded onto the laptop the exe files for drivers.

if I do have to reseat the card, what card is that?

mirrodie
2009-03-24, 10:19 PM
really frustrating. I thought I downloaded to a flashdrive the driver, (its an ethernet controller issues, driver needs updating) but still not finding it....

wouldnt it be on teh original disks that it came with although I am coming up squat??

Ethernet controller properties says:

The device is not configured properly. And recommends reinstalling driver. Am I not downloading hte right driver?

heeshung
2009-03-24, 10:29 PM
Make sure you have the right driver. Download the driver, install it, and when the computer reboots, it should automatically detect the drivers you just installed.

mirrodie
2009-03-24, 10:52 PM
well on reboot , the computer can see a new hardware is there, the "ethernet controller",
but it not knowing where to find the driver I just uploaded....

T-Bird76
2009-03-24, 10:58 PM
Instead of having the PC find the driver select "find the driver yourself" or locate driver...something to that effect and tell windows to look on the flash dive for it.

mirrodie
2009-03-24, 11:11 PM
Ugh!

OK, I did it. THe problem is that Dell had 2 drivers and hte recommended one was the one I didnt need.

Further, when hte computer asked me again where to look, I wasnt specific enough.

They must call it an ethernet controller b/c the guys that make this up must have been on copious amounts of ether!

Yes, for hte love of a son......

mirrodie
2009-03-24, 11:20 PM
So much thanks to you all for helping me.

NOw, off to lament Fl's loss to Penn!

mmedford
2009-03-24, 11:20 PM
No way you spent 3 hours getting ethernet drivers?...lol

mirrodie, what's up dude?...lol

mirrodie
2009-03-24, 11:22 PM
well between that, watching basketball and eating!

lijk604
2009-03-25, 08:16 AM
Dude...it's a Dell. :roll:

mirrodie
2009-03-25, 09:33 AM
Actually, what kills me is not that its a Dell, not that it runs as new once its reformatted, but that if I need support, I am wasting even more time with outsources folks in Thailand and India, whom I can't understand and talk like robots.

As of this AM, its up and the baby can play on it.

Besides, I want my son to know some of the suffering I endured..

You know, "When I was your age, I used to walk 12 miles in the snow with no shoes....." today is like "When I was your age, I had to work with Windows!!"

mmedford
2009-03-25, 05:38 PM
we should PDF this thread, and frame it...

make it epic!

Matt Molnar
2009-03-25, 05:58 PM
Actually, what kills me is not that its a Dell, not that it runs as new once its reformatted, but that if I need support, I am wasting even more time with outsources folks in Thailand and India, whom I can't understand and talk like robots.

He probably posted a video to YouTube today of you cursing at the computer while trying to get the network card to work. :)

wunaladreamin
2009-03-25, 07:11 PM

He probably posted a video to YouTube today of you cursing at the computer while trying to get the network card to work. :)
Here it is...

PbcctWbC8Q0

Art at ISP
2009-03-26, 06:53 PM
Mario,

You were in good hands--and I am no fan of Dell by the way.

And you are indeed a good papa.....

mirrodie
2009-03-28, 06:00 PM
OK, so i was uploading some old programs and looked at my deivce manager

ONly one yellow questionark came up, for MULTIMEIA CONTROLLER. Even with internet access and looking at Dells website I cant find a driver for it.

Is it absolutely necessary? I mean I have video and sound. Can we forgo getting that?(seems like Ive no other choice)

emshighway
2009-03-28, 09:54 PM

ONly one yellow questionark came up, for MULTIMEIA CONTROLLER. Even with internet access and looking at Dells website I cant find a driver for it.

Is it absolutely necessary? I mean I have video and sound. Can we forgo getting that?(seems like Ive no other choice)

What model Dell?

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-29, 03:36 PM

You might have problems with the program.....does everything work fine?

mirrodie
2009-03-30, 12:14 AM
dimnsion 8250

Derf
2009-03-30, 12:30 AM
Mario, I am sorry you are having issues. If you want, you can give to me and I will fix for you in a day or so.

Dell has service tag number on your deskop, it is a SMALL black sticker and has a code that will on the dell website, cross reference all drivers for your computer in any of the supported O/S's. If you are having problems with your Dell desktop, you want do download all the Driver possibilities and run yourself from the service tag number only.

There is usually 2 or more drivers that were sold with that exact revision of your model.

The Files you are looking for wind up in a folder c:\dell\drivers\RXXXXXXX

right down the two directories (if there are more, delete them all and uncompress the downloads again. They were drivers for different devices. HE SHOULD NOT KEEP THE OLD ONES AS THE ARCHIVED ONES ARE AVAILABLE ONLINE WITH NEWER REVISIONS IN THE FUTURE IF THERE IS A COMPATIBLITY ISSUE THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED).

now....DELETE the old driver with the exclamation point. Reboot and let windows find it....if it can not, browse for the driver and find the file in c:\dell\drivers\RXXXXXXX and cross the directory name off when you wrote them down...if that does not work, prepeat this paragraph and use the other directory with the other driver.

IF THIS DOES NOT WORK, your hardware is having an issue and you should buy an Ethernet card for about $20.00 at
MicroCenter, and the best part about that is they have a CD with the Driver in the box! :wink:

Like I said, I can pick it up tomorrow and have it back in a day or so if you do not want to do above

emshighway
2009-03-30, 01:17 AM
Nothing here helping?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8250&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

mirrodie
2009-03-30, 10:00 AM
Fred thanks for the offer. EMS Highway too.

I've been downloading from that link above but to no avail. However, I think Fred mentioned something I have not done, which is to delete the old driver. I've downloaded and reinstalled a lot but did try ot uninstall and reinstall.

Fred, if i'm done with all those drivers already used in that folder, am I reading you correctly that I can delete them all? That might help.

I'm gonna have a go at it tonight while Jack is saving hte free world and Horatio is saving Miami.

I've since downloaded FS9 and have used it, no problems.

Damn multimedia controller.

Derf
2009-03-30, 10:26 AM
Delete the folders only make it easier to choose folder 1 or folder 2 instead of seeing 4-8 more directories. All the directorys in the dell/drivers folder are the original install files for the drivers and are not needed unless times like this. Being that
you do not do this all the time, is just easier to only have 2 choices in the folder than seeing 8. It is easier to delete them first, unpack the files and then install with many less folders to choose from.

ie, when you install the files, if you have 5 folders you will not know which ones you need (I would) but it is easier for you to just have 2 ethernet folders then 2 ethernet, vga, sound, usb and on and on.

If you installed (in this case 3 nic card drivers) one should work, if not...buy a nic card for $20.