PDA

View Full Version : What the hell happened to Airliners.net???

RussK19
2009-02-17, 12:09 AM
I've been on NYCaviaton.com for over a year now and monitor it regularly, this website reminds me of what airliners used to be before the later had successfully traded love of airplanes for the greed of profits.

I've been a huge fan of airliners for over 7 years now and i am sure that most of you visit that website regularly as well. Unfortunately since airliners.net was sold off, their homepage is not the only thing that changed...

What I complain about is the fact that as recently as 2 months ago Airliners.net began having:

A) Sound Ads.
B) Unauthorized fake .pdf file pop-ups that begin to install something while your on a site.
C) Pop-ups saying "we have discovered a spyware on your computer, take a scan." aka --> Click OK and we'll install viruses on your computer.
D) Recently the site related section of the website became accessible only to those who paid the membership fee (before they forbid photographer accounts only, from viewing that section, I also saw one user complain about .pdf pop-up madness under "site related section")?!?

BTW, I have a brand new computer with zero viruses, and latest Norton antivirus/firewall, and browse through around 100 different websites a day, yet only airliners.net is using these sleazy tactics. On my college's library computer, same things i described above were happening while i was on airliners.net!!!

I'm MAD because while i love aviation photography and thus addicted to that website, i have to go through that BS every time I'm there. I guess after changing the website layout and shutting down all of the criticism, they really don't give a **** about what they do to their users.

P.S. As an owner of a small website myself, i look at airliners.net as an example of what no website should ever become... (Phil please don't ever sell NYCaviation :!: )

PhilDernerJr
2009-02-17, 12:29 AM
I can certainly understand one's frustration when seeing changes at a site that one has grown to enjoy over the years. It certainly can feel like a slap in the face when those things happen.

However, in sticking with out own rules here, I don't like to make it a habit of filling our own pages with negative commentary on other sites, so I will have to lock the topic.

As for NYCAviation, I do no intend to sell it or make any changes that will negatively affect the way you enjoy the site, nor will we sacrifice quality for the sake of money. We appreciate your participation!

-Phil