PDA

View Full Version : Branson Offers Capt. Sully a Job

Matt Molnar
2009-02-02, 03:15 AM
From Sunday's Daily News gossip page.

“I’d like him to come fly for us,” Branson tell us. “We’ll make him the best-paid pilot at Virgin — we’ll give him double [the salary of] anybody else. He also can become one of the astronauts in my intergalactic spaceship company. The man can write his own ticket with me.”

Sullenberger sounded interested when we conveyed Branson’s offer.

“That’s amazing,” said the man who saved the lives of 155 people when he deftly landed a jetliner in the freezing Hudson River on Jan. 15. “I hadn’t heard that.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/ ... _ches.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/02/01/2009-02-01_virgin_air_puttin_the_moves_on_capt_ches.html)

mirrodie
2009-02-02, 02:08 PM
You know, I was thining about it before teh Branson announcement.....

Whenever and whereever this guy flies now and announces who he is prior to takeoff(assuming some pax listen to announcements), can you imagine the pax reactions? Clapping, etc?

Then I hear yesterday AM about Branson.

moose135
2009-02-02, 02:58 PM
Cheap publicity stunt that will only serve to piss off the current Virgin flight crews.

T-Bird76
2009-02-02, 03:00 PM
You know, I was thining about it before teh Branson announcement.....

Whenever and whereever this guy flies now and announces who he is prior to takeoff(assuming some pax listen to announcements), can you imagine the pax reactions? Clapping, etc?

Trust me no one will remember his name Mario. Unless he introduces himself as the guy who landed an A320 in the Hudson he may get some claps but even then I'm people will be like "who are you?"

Midnight Mike
2009-02-02, 03:05 PM
Cheap publicity stunt that will only serve to piss off the current Virgin flight crews.

I echo Moose's comment as welll...

If there is one way to piss off a pilot, & that is to let them know that a pilot with less senority is making double of what the senior guy is making.

Now, if Branson wants to put him on the Virgin Rocketship, then go for it, cheap publicity stunt, but, what the hell, it will draw some attention to the Virgin rocket....

mirrodie
2009-02-02, 03:31 PM
True other pilots will be piseed and so true its typical Branson.

But that is what has made Branson, Marketing and publicity has done him well.

I wonder though if pax would forget who the world has come to know as Sully. I think his name recognition is similar to that of Joe Plumber.

Matt Molnar
2009-02-02, 03:54 PM
I doubt Virgin America pilots get paid very well being a new airline and all, so making double is probably what he makes now. :)

Midnight Mike
2009-02-02, 04:04 PM

Trust me no one will remember his name Mario. Unless he introduces himself as the guy who landed an A320 in the Hudson he may get some claps but even then I'm people will be like "who are you?"[/quote]

Very true Mr. Tommy!

Now the die-hard aviation will remember his name, while a vast majority will only know him by the guy that landed the plane in hudson.

Perfect example of this is Al Haynes, somebody forget his name, but, mention Sioux City & they usually remember...

Jetinder
2009-02-03, 04:59 AM
In the UK due to the deep recession he's put a pay freeze on every one in virgin for 12 month, if he got this pilot earning double the pay of any one else i feel virgin staff would be very cheesed off.

Planesntrains
2009-02-03, 10:50 AM

I echo Moose's comment as welll...

If there is one way to piss off a pilot, & that is to let them know that a pilot with less senority is making double of what the senior guy is making.

Now, if Branson wants to put him on the Virgin Rocketship, then go for it, cheap publicity stunt, but, what the hell, it will draw some attention to the Virgin rocket....

Somehow I get the feeling Sully was just amused and would never take it. He's appears to be genuinely too humble. At the Superbowl he still refused to take any credit himself, citing the entire crew saved lives. Not just one of them. He seemed really embarrassed anytime one of the interviewing reporters said otherwise.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-02-03, 02:46 PM
Somehow I get the feeling Sully was just amused and would never take it.

Why not? It's not like US Airways is looking out for his best interests, or that US Airways is such a great company to fly for. I'm sure he's real happy about all the pay and benefit cuts he had to take at US Airways - not to mention management trying to fry him at every opportunity. If he can make probably triple what he makes now, fly less, and fly bigger jets to better places he'd be nuts not to seriously consider the job offer.

If he took the job at Virgin other pilots may become disgruntled. But, as an airline CEO, I'd imagine you want your best pilots flying your "flagship" aircraft. Taking an aircraft, turning it into a glider, and completing a successful water landing with 0 casualties and minimal injuries is a hell of a resume builder and isn't something that most could pull off.
Hiring and promotion at an airline shouldn't just be based on the number of years you've been with the company; experience and ability needs some consideration.

Matt Molnar
2009-02-03, 03:40 PM
Are VA or VX pilots unionized? Seems unlikely this could happen if they are.

Matt Molnar
2009-02-03, 04:36 PM
Sully's superhuman status proven further...he actually called his hometown library to ask for an extension on a book he checked out. The reason: it was in the belly of 1549. The subject: professional ethics. The library waived the late and lost book fees, and says the replacement book will have a dedication to the captain on the cover.

mirrodie
2009-02-04, 12:23 AM
You know, I was thinking about it before teh Branson announcement.....

Somehow, I have to think otherwise...Sully on 60 minutes,
SUlly on NY magazine....the name is as recognizable as Joe the Plumber.

Further, while I feel that most ppl on an a/c listen to the pilot announcements, the fact that 1549's pax listened so well proves me otherwise.

I think that When Sully decides to fly again, he may be recognized by pax if announced.

Planesntrains
2009-02-04, 11:16 AM
Why not? It's not like US Airways is looking out for his best interests, or that US Airways is such a great company to fly for.

Just don't think with his modesty and presented personality, he would take it. He keeps crediting the entire crew, refusing to take any credit himself. It would just seem diametrically opposite from his morals for him to benefit and not the entire crew. It really seems like he's the real deal...selfless.

T-Bird76
2009-02-04, 05:04 PM
Why not? It's not like US Airways is looking out for his best interests, or that US Airways is such a great company to fly for.

Just don't think with his modesty and presented personality, he would take it. He keeps crediting the entire crew, refusing to take any credit himself. It would just seem diametrically opposite from his morals for him to benefit and not the entire crew. It really seems like he's the real deal...selfless.

He's giving credit where credit is due. While he landed the plane successfully the FA's were the front line crew members who instructed and got the people off the plane as fast as they did. One mistake by an FA in the instructions or actions taken could have meant an opposite outcome in this event.