PDA

View Full Version : Airline Call-Signs ?

Speedbird1
2009-01-26, 09:52 AM
I thought that all US Air flights use the call-sign "US Air". I must be mistaken as Flight 1549 was using the call-sign "Cactus". I first heard "Cactus" being used by all America West flights. As we know, America West had been absorbed into the US Airways System. I thought that all America West flights would use the "US Air" call-sign. For example, when American took-over TWA years ago, the "Trans World" call-sign was completely dropped. Why this discrepancy?

T-Bird76
2009-01-26, 10:13 AM
I thought that all US Air flights use the call-sign "US Air". I must be mistaken as Flight 1549 was using the call-sign "Cactus". I first heard "Cactus" being used by all America West flights. As we know, America West had been absorbed into the US Airways System. I thought that all America West flights would use the "US Air" call-sign. For example, when American took-over TWA years ago, the "Trans World" call-sign was completely dropped. Why this discrepancy?

You need to keep up on news my firend ;) First AWA was not absorbed into US...US was absorbed into AWA and AWA adopted the US name...they prob should have dropped the US name and kept AWA but that's another story. AWA was the one who purchased US, not the other way around. All US flights now use the Catcus call sign vs the US call sign.

Speedbird1
2009-01-26, 10:59 AM
Yup, you are the man. Wikipedia says that America West indeed took-over US Airways back in 2005. US Airways was able to emerge from bankruptcy in September of that year as a result. It is called a "Reverse Takeover". I was fooled because America West aircraft were re-painted into US Airways livery, making me think that US Air had purchased AWA. Also, the America West Arena in Phoenix was re-named the US Airways Arena. I was saddened because I remember seeing brightly-colored America West B757's in liveries of Phoenix Suns, Diamondbacks, etc at JFK in the late 90's. Those aircraft had been re-painted years ago. Thanks for the info. Adding to my confusion is that the US Airways headquarters is located in Tempe (AWA original HQs). This explains why US Air uses the "Cactus" call-sign.

njgtr82
2009-01-26, 12:25 PM
Yup, you are the man. Wikipedia says that America West indeed took-over US Airways back in 2005. US Airways was able to emerge from bankruptcy in September of that year as a result. It is called a "Reverse Takeover". I was fooled because America West aircraft were re-painted into US Airways livery, making me think that US Air had purchased AWA. Also, the America West Arena in Phoenix was re-named the US Airways Arena. I was saddened because I remember seeing brightly-colored America West B757's in liveries of Phoenix Suns, Diamondbacks, etc at JFK in the late 90's. Those aircraft had been re-painted years ago. Thanks for the info. Adding to my confusion is that the US Airways headquarters is located in Tempe (AWA original HQs). This explains why US Air uses the "Cactus" call-sign.

They tried using the call sign Cactus with the 3 letter identifier of USA for about 2 weeks but it did not work out well at all. So they then went back to keeping AWE and Cactus.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2009-01-26, 05:03 PM
This was a very recent change though. Up until last year I believe, US Airways East flights were still under the call sign US AIR and US Airways West Flights were under the call sign CACTUS.