PDA

View Full Version : Viewing Reminder For Tonite

Gerard
2009-01-25, 12:05 PM
Just a reminder for everyone that the National Geographic Channel has a GREAT double feature tonite starting at 8PM.

"On Board Air Force One" followed by "On Board Marine One"!!!!

From what I heard both these shows are spectacular and the "Marine One" show has footage from a POTUS visit to NYC.

Enjoy all.

BTW NGC is Channel 162 for those with Cablevision.

Derf
2009-01-25, 01:02 PM
Great Heads up, Thanks!

MarkLawrence
2009-01-25, 01:15 PM
Just saw a preview on MSNBC - looks very good!!

Steven Holzinger
2009-01-25, 02:07 PM
Is that the same Air Force One program that the History Channel has shown many times in the last week or so?

Midnight Mike
2009-01-25, 02:24 PM
thanks for the reminder!

Matt Molnar
2009-01-25, 02:27 PM
Is that the same Air Force One program that the History Channel has shown many times in the last week or so?
Pretty sure this is new, lots of ads for its premiere tonight.

MarkLawrence
2009-01-25, 05:45 PM
I doubt it as there is coverage of Pres. Obama on it.....

Big Tim #70
2009-01-25, 07:26 PM
Just programed the DVR, THANKS!

G-BOAD
2009-01-25, 09:49 PM
What was it about the backup landing at some airport on the trip to iraq?? can someone explain to me what happened?

moose135
2009-01-25, 09:57 PM
What was it about the backup landing at some airport on the trip to iraq?? can someone explain to me what happened?
They needed the backup aircraft in the vicinity in case of a problem with the primary aircraft. Given the security surrounding the mission, they weren't going to publicize it ahead of time. From the way they described it, I suppose they flew into someplace that might be "politically sensitive" for a VC-25 visit, so they have kept that location secret to this day.

One thing made me laugh - they said when they departed Florida on the morning of September 11, they said they made a steep climb away from the airport since there were "unidentified individuals" at the end of the runway. I figure they were probably a group of spotters looking to photograph AF1, and probably hadn't even heard the news yet.

T-Bird76
2009-01-25, 10:15 PM
They needed the backup aircraft in the vicinity in case of a problem with the primary aircraft. Given the security surrounding the mission, they weren't going to publicize it ahead of time. From the way they described it, I suppose they flew into someplace that might be "politically sensitive" for a VC-25 visit, so they have kept that location secret to this day.

One thing made me laugh - they said when they departed Florida on the morning of September 11, they said they made a steep climb away from the airport since there were "unidentified individuals" at the end of the runway. I figure they were probably a group of spotters looking to photograph AF1, and probably hadn't even heard the news yet.

I picked up on that as well Moose, sort of got a laugh out of that. I really enjoyed the show. I've never seen AF1 in person but I think now will make a point to see her the next time she's in town.

Iberia A340-600
2009-01-25, 10:25 PM
The footage they showed from the cockpit of the decoy AF1 on approach during the Iraq operation looked like BAH to me however since its top secret I guess we'll never know!

MarkLawrence
2009-01-25, 11:18 PM
Both the AF One Show and the Marine One show after it was really interesting!! Wish I was able to get one of those jobs!! *LOL*

mirrodie
2009-01-26, 12:17 AM
Both were nicely done, I feel. I liked seeing the training needed to land Marine One on the South lawn

Matt Molnar
2009-01-26, 02:32 AM
Looking forward to watching it tomorrow without commercials. :borat:

PhilDernerJr
2009-01-26, 07:56 PM
Anyone burning this onto DVD for me? :borat:

cancidas
2009-01-26, 08:04 PM
Anyone burning this onto DVD for me? :borat:
i'll take a copy too since i still to this day don't have cable...

Gerard
2009-01-26, 10:44 PM
I doubt it as there is coverage of Pres. Obama on it.....

They must have been editing that show at the last minute since that footage was from last week.
Just finished watching both shows and I gotta tell ya they were both incredibly well done. The footage, interviews,
the direction,writing and narration were all top notch. Kudos to NatGeo for an excellent job.
A question and observations:
During the 9/11 sequence when ATC tells AF1 that the F-16s were behind them the AF1 pilot advises that the jets were "going
to declare M.A.R.S.A with us". What does that mean?
And I loved that the F-16s told AF1 to "slow down" so they could catch up as they headed into Andrews. They were doing 630 MPH!!
In the Marine One show you can see a non-military Astar parked at the end of the pier when the Sea Knights landed. That is the
Dept of Justice/FBI helo, call sign "Idaho".
The whole sequence of landing at the White House was very cool. Back in the summer of 2007 I was parked off the GW Parkway in
Va. along the Potomac and watched as three VH-3s came in from Andrews with two coming right to the White House before breaking
off and one landing.
And a big thumbs up to my buddy/co-worker Pete, a big time everything about the President buff who clued me in on this show.

moose135
2009-01-26, 10:58 PM
During the 9/11 sequence when ATC tells AF1 that the F-16s were behind them the AF1 pilot advises that the jets were "going
Military Accepts Responsibility for Separation of Aircraft
It allows you to move in closer than ATC would normally allow in order to rendezvous. When we were refueling, we would regularly declare MARSA with Center prior to the receiver entering the refueling track.

mirrodie
2009-01-26, 11:40 PM
IIRC they said the F16s had to slow down b/c AF1 was doing 637mph, (Near the speed of sound, which I have to verify).

As for the guys at the end of the Sarasota runway, probably spotters but I could see how they must have been panicked on that day, not knowing where and when the attacks were coming.

Again, awesome segment on learning to land hte south lawn and also great coverage of the silent run to Baghdad.

Phil, I would imagine it would be on youtube or hulu.com soon?

Gerard
2009-01-27, 12:01 AM
Military Accepts Responsibility for Separation of Aircraft
It allows you to move in closer than ATC would normally allow in order to rendezvous. When we were refueling, we would regularly declare MARSA with Center prior to the receiver entering the refueling track.

Thanks John. I knew YOU would be the one to clue me in!! :D

PhilDernerJr
2009-01-27, 01:39 AM
IIRC they said the F16s had to slow down b/c AF1 was doing 637mph, (Near the speed of sound, which I have to verify).

637mph is Mach .83, which is not uncommon for airliners.

Matt Molnar
2009-01-27, 02:06 AM

637mph is Mach .83, which is not uncommon for airliners.
Mach speed depends on the altitude...sound travels faster at higher altitudes with thinner air.

637 mph is Mach .83 at sea level
at 20,000 feet it's .90
at 30,000 feet it's .94
at 40,000 feet it's .97

moose135
2009-01-27, 02:20 AM
Actually, the speed of sound is dependent on temperature. It's colder at altitude, hence the speed of sound is lower.

Mach 1 Calculator (http://www.csgnetwork.com/machonecalc.html)

MarkLawrence
2009-01-27, 12:07 PM
For anyone that missed it - and the Marine One program - they are being repeated on Nat Geo this evening at 8pm and 9pm.

Gerard
2009-01-27, 07:21 PM
For anyone that missed it - and the Marine One program - they are being repeated on Nat Geo this evening at 8pm and 9pm.

Mark it's actually WEDnesday night at 8 and 9, then again at 11 and 12.

MarkLawrence
2009-01-27, 07:33 PM
oopsss....sorry - I guess I looked at the day wrong...