PDA

View Full Version : Port Authority to Install Bird Radar at NYC Airports

Matt Molnar
2009-01-23, 12:31 AM
NYC Airports Take New Steps to Fight Bird Hazards (Update2) (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aB.Zxez_hHEw&refer=us)

By Chris Dolmetsch

Jan. 22 (Bloomberg) -- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey plans to install bird-detecting radar at its three major airports following the emergency landing of a commercial jetliner in the Hudson River last week.

The radar, which would be able to track flock movements and allow controllers to warn pilots, is an effort to expand an authority program to keep birds from interfering with air traffic.

“The radar is very much like radar that’s been used for 50 years for guiding air traffic control of planes, except in this case it’s a very finely tuned radar that can detect very small objects that are flying in space, like birds,” the authority’s aviation director, William DeCota, told reporters after an agency meeting in Manhattan today. [Full Article (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aB.Zxez_hHEw&refer=us)]

PHL Approach
2009-01-23, 01:35 AM
It's a good thing... but it's just another piece of a equipment going up into already small and crowded cabs.

Delta777LR
2009-01-23, 01:49 AM
This should hopefully do well. Theres always alot of flock of geese forming a flying V around LGA. Ive been seeing that everytime I go to Soundview. I think LGA should be the first to install the bird detecting radar since geese mostly fly more that way.

mmedford
2009-01-24, 12:07 AM
I hope Port Authority is going to maintain it...because we don't want too.

cancidas
2009-01-24, 12:32 PM
they'll probably give it to you anyway medford...

mmedford
2009-01-24, 08:08 PM
they'll probably give it to you anyway medford...

It's ok..lol,

I'm Nav/Comm...Radar is another unit..

emshighway
2009-01-24, 09:45 PM
PANYNJ will try to get the geese to pay for it.